Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293676 times)

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2010, 05:12:56 pm »

Health Chart of Catten Umbafol,  3rd of Obsidian, 308
Entry by Mistem Stinthadam, Chief Medical Dwarf

The injuries sustained during last month’s collapse were far more serious than initially appeared.  After diagnosis it appears the subject has suffered the following injuries:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The subject will require extensive bed rest to heal.  The following regimen of treatment will be need: 

The subject’s mental state is another item entirely.  Observation will be required. 

OOC: Mistem is a bit of a cold fish, that’s for sure.  This is the last update for a couple days due to unavoidable commitments.  I didn’t want to leave you hanging on the extent of Catten’s wounds.  I think this is the worst damage I've seen a dwarf survive to date.  I'm sure she'll recover eventually though.  Catten is the worst injured of all the dwarves caught in this collapse by far.  Well with the exception of the one who died. 

@Urist Imiknorris: I’m not certain if a split is going to be sufficient.  How do you control which treatment is used?

@Syntic: Consider it done.  This should be amusing! 

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2010, 06:30:13 pm »

Mutterings of Catten

"Uhh... I hit my head...

Where am I? How did I get here?

...Who am I?"

((no longer insane... but amnesiac! muahahaha!)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 12:34:30 am by Tuxman »
Meowth! That's right!

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2010, 08:12:15 pm »

I would like to have some form of Mechanic. Obsessed with nightmares regarding cavern beasts, and wants to fortify that 'weak spot' with traps of his own make, or design. Lethal traps. Name: 'Kezan' Prefferably male. even no-skill would be fine.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:33 pm »

(OOC): Important Announcement: 

A computer crash this weekend while playing dwarf fortress has corrupted the most recent copies of the Towersoared save game.  Fortunately I’ve been autosaving and the most recent version of the game I have is just prior to breaking the permanent entrance into the caverns.  I’m very sad this happened as the following events have not occurred yet:

Xest the feathered spider beast has not been defeated yet. 
The caves have not been explored.
The mining accident in the future dining hall has not occurred.  (ok, maybe not such a bad thing)

Funny that seasonal autosaves weren’t sufficient.  I’ve done my best to repeat all the events as they happened.  I’m going to avoid the cave in though since losing half my miners is not something I would choose to repeat. 

Cogs Journal, 20th of Moonstone, 308

I had such an odd dream last night.  The beast in the caves was dead at Derm’s hand.  There was a collapse in the dining hall that injured all the miners, Catten was sane with amnesia.  Plus a major goblin siege had just arrived.  So much for dreams, I think I’ll have a look at my digging plans for the dining hall to double check and make sure I've avoided all those risks. 

Oh also, I should note that Derm and his axedwarves are heading into the depths to begin exploring the caves and to track down Xeth.  Kezan, one of the members of our mechanic guild working with Pawn and Scaraban has express concern over the entrance to the caverns.  Apparently, he’s not satisfied with the quality of the defenses.  I’ve told him to go ahead and bring me designs for fortifying the entrance area. 

Spoiler: Meet Kezan (click to show/hide)

I’ve already got plans to break up the caverns into more secure sections by removing ramps. 

Events of the 22nd of Moonstone, 308

Derm had been looking hard with his squad to find Xest in the caves.  He half expected to find it out in the open heading toward the fort.  But instead he found it lounging about on the surface of an underground lake.  He whispered to his dwarves, “I’ll go draw it out and kill it; only join the fight if things are looking bad for me.” 

He slipped out from behind the rock and went forward to where Xest could see him easily.  He was confident that this beast’s bark was far worse than its bite.  Especially against dwarven steel.  The beast burst out of the water and charged towards him with a hissing roar.  Derm brandished his axe and charged back at it with a yell. 

With his first shots Derm managed to hit the beast in the foot, severing it right away.  He also hit the thorax, fracturing the chitin and cutting some tendons. Then the beast was upon him, colliding with him and knocking him backwards.  Over and over the beast pushed him backwards while Derm took the occasional shot, inflicting some minor injuries. 

Then Derm unleashed his fury, hitting it again and again.  Mostly in spots already wounded but also in several new spots.  The beast’s front foot flew off, severed by the force of his axe.  Still the beast kept attacking but it looked a bit worried since Derm seemed to be endlessly resilient.  You could almost call it pale. 

In a burst of fury, the beast struck rapidly, raining blows of claws and fangs down on Derm.  Derm calmly blocked the shots with his shield, and his armor absorbed the rest. 

Derm hit the beast several more times, milky white blood spraying everywhere.  He lopped off the creatures other front foot and then defended himself against the beast’s weakening blows.  Finally, it just couldn’t keep up the fight and it collapsed, dead from blood loss. 

Derm wiped his axe off on one of the nearby plants and then turned to his fellow dwarves.  “That was exhilarating, now it’s time for a drink!  Let’s head back and report to Cog.” 

OOC: Again just for kicks I put Derm up against the forgotten beast solo.  He’s a machine of awesome destruction!  One benefit to losing the last few updates worth of material.

@Tuxman: That’s a great idea, it’s a shame the accident didn’t happen due to my computer crash.  It figures a glitch would happen right then. 

@Riversand: Welcome aboard.  Hope the guy above works for you, when I reloaded the earlier saved game he was installing the traps at the entrance to the caves so I thought he might be appropriate. 

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2010, 12:42:47 pm »

Cogs Journal, 23rd of Moonstone, 308

Derm came back up from the caverns to report that he had slain the beast known as Xest.  When I inquired about his phrasing he informed me that he destroyed it solo.  I’m not sure why I bothered sending the other axedwarves with him, obviously they weren’t necessary.  Derm informed me that he would be back down there as soon as he got a drink. 

On another note, Scaraban seems to have been taken by a mood.  He abruptly dropped the cage he was carrying down to the caves and then charged off screaming.  I hope he’s ok. 

Cogs Journal, 2nd of Opal, 308

Scaraban has been quite busy of the last week.  After gathering up a few items in Pawn’s personal workshop, he set to work and built a seriously classy mechanism.

I quite like it although I could do without the rat.  He’s easily as skilled as Pawn now.  The apprentice as now matched his master.

Events of the 20th of Opal, 308

Derm was making his way back from exploring the last of the caves when he heard a skittering sound just north of the entrance to the fortress.  The exploration had been uneventful to date, so this might be an opportunity for some entertainment.  Ahead he saw a giant olm.  He charged the creature and cut it down with a couple quick swings of his axe.  But still he heard skittering sounds, just ahead.  It reminded him of the footfalls of Xest. 

A giant cave spider was lurking nearby.  He had heard of methods for farming the silk, but he didn’t care at this moment.  All that mattered was the thrill of the hunt and keeping the caves safe.  He charged in after the beast.  The turned as he approached and chattered menacingly.  He responded by cutting off three of the creatures legs with short swings of his axe.   But then the beast responded by spraying him with webs. 

He struggled to try and free his arm, his leg, anything.  But then the beast was upon him and biting him.  It mostly went for his legs and feet.  He kept up the struggle, silently grateful for the steel armor that was deflecting the bites.  He pulled himself to his feet, free and ready to fight again.

But then suddenly with a wheeze, the spider collapsed to the ground, dead from the early strikes he took.  He brushed the webbing off.  That was an excellent way to finish up exploring the caverns. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:09:17 am by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 23, 2010, 12:50:25 pm »

Oh HELL YES!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2010, 03:51:35 pm »

Kezan comes to Cogs, with a design, having heard of the plans for securing cavern areas. "The removal of ramps from the caverns, is not enough. i have had nightmares of great terrible beasts with wings, We need to make a secure area, walled in, either to the ceiling, or completly enclosed at only one dwarf-height. I know that regular traps would never work on things like a giant spider, but there are ways to at least protect our home, while still maintaining the access to the needed underground..." Kezan quickly unfurls a schemata.

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWWW
W^^^W^FF
W^W^WBWW
W^W^WBW
W^W^WBW
W^W^^^W
WFWWWWW

W= Wall segment
^= deadly weapon trap
F=Floodgate
B= Drawbridge over a shallow pit inaccessable to creatures.

Kezan explains that this is to be usable as a sort of airlock chamber, to prevent creatures of the depths to easily gain access to the fortress. Guard dogs would be useful as well. the floodgates used in the manner of siege doors, will prevent creatures that lack the strength to get in, while they skulk. This will not however render the military useless ,but more be a strong passive defense. Kezan states, before he leaves, that this is best used on a manually enclosed area, but can be carved into an area, to access the unsecure areas, but that either way, have to prevent creatures of the air from getting in.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2010, 05:59:22 pm »

I'm just getting off of work, and I'm going to need to sleep soon, but from a glance I think that put Syntic back on Hauling duty if I'm not mistaken. If he could be taken off again if needed that would be great.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2010, 11:16:01 pm »

Scaraban has been quite busy of the last week.  After gathering up a few items in Pawn’s personal workshop, he set to work and built a seriously classy mechanism.

I quite like it although I could do without the rat.  He’s easily as skilled as Pawn now.  The apprentice has now matched his master.

fixed. Also how the hell do we know its a female rat??? ??? from wat godArmok-forsaken angle is that rat being viewed!?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 23, 2010, 11:21:45 pm »

Easily,  the deity is well known. and besides, have you even ever seen a non-clipped male rat? usually very well hung from what i have seen in petstores.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2010, 12:33:15 am »

Events in relation to Catten Ubalmafol

-

Warning: contains graphic scene
Meowth! That's right!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 25, 2010, 10:58:20 am »

Cogs Journal, 16th of Obsidian, 308

A vile force of darkness has arrived!  This army is lead by Ngerxung Namedtorment, a human raised by goblins.  Somehow he rose from the position of woodcutter to general of the armies of Luredhate, a goblin tower.  I haven’t heard any word of him actually presiding over any military operations, so I expect Derm and our army will take great pleasure in ensuring this is his first and last.   He’s leading an army of between 40 and 50 goblins along with about a dozen or more trolls. 

Also, Kezan has already arrived with some excellent designs and ideas for securing the fortress and caverns against cave beasts, particularly flying monsters.  Considering the early disaster with the giant bat, I’ll be preparing to implement these as soon as possible.  The only change I think I’ll make will be to the width of the corridors since I expect there may be a lot of traffic to the caves in the future. 

I think it may be a good bet to place the control center for these sorts of defenses in a room next to the future dining hall. I believe we can make a massive quantity of trap weapons out of glass for these traps.  Our legendary glassworkers can work things up to a severe razor edge now! 

Events of the 18th of Obsidian, 308

For once the battle was actually going according to plan.  This time nobody charged out of the gate after a loose swarm of trolls.  Instead, they waited patiently as the first trolls and goblins cautiously came through the gates.  Then the army charged in.  Derm was a bit late, getting the straps figured out for a brand new gauntlet fresh off the forge.   But there were still plenty of goblins left to kill. 

Derm only managed to get in one kill from the first group, but that was enough.  With a bellowing roar, he charged out the gate, straight into the waiting mass of goblins.  The rest of the army was caught completely off guard by his mad charge.  After a few moments hesitation because they were told to stay by the glass roof, they finally charged in after Derm. 

Derm was well into the thick of things in a martial trance.  His axe swung almost like a blur, cutting and parrying.  No blade even touched his armor for the first minutes despite the efforts of the goblin pikemaster in front of him.  Suddenly, the approaching crossbow wielding goblins began to fire.  The first silver bolt was right on target, but Derm simply batted this bolt right out of the air with his axe.

He drew his axe back and swung at the Pikemaster, chopping straight through the armor into the heart.  As the pikemaster dropped, another arrow flew at him.  He quickly jumped away, letting the bolt fly wide.  He wound up in the middle of a group of spear goblins along with a troll and quickly dismantled them with his axe.  He sank his axe into the Trolls chest, and the troll started choking as its lungs filled with blood.  Another arrow came flying at Derm, he batted it out of the air again.  Then he turned back and finished off the troll. 

The rest of the battle was a blur of blood and weapons for Derm.  By the end of the fight Derm had killed 9 goblins and a troll without even receiving a dent in his armor.  He ended the fight by shattering the skull of the Elite goblin crossbowman who had been firing bolts at him for  most of the fight. 

The battle was over but not the war.  The general was approaching with his squad from one direction, and a large group of speargoblins was coming from the other direction. 
The best strategy would be to wait at the gate for the enemy to arrive.  But he wanted that general dead.  “Watch the gate and prepare for the speargoblins.  I’m going to take down the general!”

But before he could reach the general and his squad, they spotted him coming and immediately retreated from the area!  Derm yelled in frustration and turned to see what was left.  And a kobold thief popped up right in front of him.  He idly chopped the thief apart while surveying the battlefield looking to see what remained. 

Ahh, there were still some trolls foolish enough to remain in the area, even though the general was gone.   He quickly went and eliminated the trolls without incident.  Not a scratch on his body and not a wound to report among any of his soldiers.  Truly a magnificent battle!  Now would be an excellent time to get some sleep. 

OOC: I thought Derm was done for when I realized his soldiers weren’t coming into the fight to support him.  But Derm proved more than capable of dealing with the problem!  Nothing like a dwarf dealing with arrows by hitting them out of the air with an axe!  Not to mention, I looked through the entire list and I don't think anyone even touched Derm with a weapon in this one.  I can’t say I blame the general for buggering off when he saw the Soulchopper coming. 

@Dermonster: No kidding.  You'll like this past fight.  Derm is more like a force of nature these days!

@Riversand:  Nice design, I like how full of floodgates, bridges and traps it is!  I’ll be widening it to two tiles width but otherwise I’ll build it as designed.  I’m using the rule of one weapon per weapon trap for balance reasons.  I’m also going to lean towards purpose built weapons (Giant axeblades, etc) rather than using goblin garbage to build the traps. 

@Syntic: That was one of the first things I took care of when I reloaded the game.  Thanks for the reminder though! 

@Scaraban: Thanks! 

@Tuxman: Wow.  No wonder Catten is going a little nuts; we’ve had a huge number of trolls showing up for these sieges along with the goblins. 

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 25, 2010, 11:14:34 am »

and if course I'm fine with that. what i drew up was just an example. it can easily be 2 or 3 wide. i rarely use junk weapons for traps. almost exclusively i use saw blades. and glass makes the best. the weapon count might aggravate Kezan a little, but not enough to really affect his mood. I personally use 2 per trap of average quality weapons. it draws goblins for example, deeper in, till they retreat going back through the traps.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 25, 2010, 11:45:04 am »

There are no words... so beautiful...

They should have sent a poet...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 25, 2010, 01:52:13 pm »

There are no words... so beautiful...

They should have sent a poet...

contact! great movie.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 118