Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293766 times)

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1650 on: September 28, 2012, 07:09:03 pm »

Seriously...LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEE

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: September 28, 2012, 08:07:31 pm »

Dude had a baby, jeez. He might come back eventually.

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: September 30, 2012, 11:27:49 am »

Yeah. be patient. Maybe try to make your own Towersoared, or the next legend. Also, awesome bump pic.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: October 01, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Obsidian 325

With the year end fast approaching, I have some paperwork to catch up on.  Today I had two more dwarves come by my office requesting name changes.  The first was a member of hauling crew III.  She is now known as Kaist.  When I asked her if she wanted a career change to go along with the new name she shrugged and said she wasn’t sure yet. 

Spoiler: Kaist, Crew III (click to show/hide)

The second name change was much more interesting.  My standing policy is to put all dwarves into the masonry crew on arrival to the fortress.  With all the construction, we can never have enough.  This recent arrival has decided that he’s better suited going back to his original discipline as a bonecarver. He’s also asked to be renamed Markressler.  He’ll have to compete with Martini for bones but I’m sure there are enough for both of them.

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Obsidian 325

Oh hey look, a goblin siege has arrived.  I was wondering where they had gotten to.  Time for the military to have a day of entertainment.

Events of the 20th of Obsidian 325

The army was just arriving at the gates of towersoared when they heard yells of terror.  Apparently Abyss the Glassmaker and Fath the Hauler were outside for some reason and a Kobold Ambush popped up around them as well as the goblins.  Derm immediately ordered two squads to sweep up to try and rescue them.

Abyss was incredibly light on his feet and immediately began dodging and weaving around the kobolds and ran for the hills.  Fath was not so lucky, he caught a sword from a goblin in the foot and collapsed.  The goblin ripped poor Fath to shreds before beheading him. 

The goblins were larger and even more vicious in this battle.  Muffintoast was taken aback by the ferocity and was knocked down.  Suddenly, the goblins sword bit flesh.  Muffintoast watched in disbelief as his arm flew off in spite of his platinum shield and adamantine armor.  Then another slash and flash of pain as his other hand was severed by the goblin.  Gasping in pain Muffintoast collapsed to the ground, bleeding profusely.  A few moments later he simply stopped breathing, the shock was just too much.

Nearby, Ustuth Orreg the Axedwarf was fighting hard when suddenly the world went black.  He was found later, an iron bolt straight through the adamantine helmet, and his head. 

Dragonshardz had successfully retreated from battle.  The goblins were vicious!  His arm was cut open to the bone and he had dropped his adamantine shield on the battlefield due to the injury.  And then as he retreated another goblin had fired a bolt that lodged deep into his chest.  He was still able to walk but the pain was extreme. 

Child of Armok the Hammerdwarf was also caught off guard by the ferocity of the goblins.  These were the biggest, nastiest goblins he had seen in his life.  Perhaps that was why a goblin managed to clip him in the arm and sever it.  He quickly applied pressure to the injury to try and stop the bleeding.

Child of Armok heard the horns, the battle was over and the siege had been pushed back.  But at what cost?  He wasn’t even certain he could survive this injury.  Gasping with pain, he began the march back to the fortress. 

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Obsidian 325

That was without a doubt the most costly siege Towersoared has seen in a decade.  There were more serious injuries from this siege than we saw from the battle for the adamantine which is still ongoing!

One dead hauler, two dead soldiers, and two severely injured soldiers.  I’m really surprised that Child of Armok is still alive after losing his arm!  I’m even more surprised that he’s reasonably happy.  When I asked him, he said, well I had a pretty decent drink yesterday, so I can probably get past it. 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Obsidian 325

Two more name changes, the residents of this fortress are keeping me on my toes today!  The first we have is a miner who felt the need for a change.  Pittsy is a fairly risky name for a miner, but whatever works!

Spoiler: Pittsy, Miner (click to show/hide)

The next name change is from none other than one of our fortress mayors from many years ago.  She lost out to Zasit when he came of age over a decade ago.  She’s also the creator of the very first artifact created in Towersoared, the indigo tourmaline throne known as Geshud Likotsat.  She’s also been responsible for much of the work to cut the gems for the stained glass windows.  I just hope her legacy isn’t lost with the name change! 

I’ve closed the book on name changes for the year.  Any further requests will be taken care of in the spring.  Between the funerals and preparation for the year end celebration (now a wake in honor of our fallen comrades) I’m just full up. 

OOC:  Thank you all for your kind words and congrats!  I’m finally adapting to my new shortage of sleep.  Just to answer the general questions, my wife and I have a little girl, she’s a real sweetheart.  :) 

I’m back to shooting for a minimum of 1 update per week.  As for the siege, that’s the worst route we’ve had in a long time. 

@Kel the Oblivious: Excellent read as always!  I think Cog may be able to meet you request.

@siraidan: It’s all good!  I feel inadequate as well I think Kel is a better writer than me as well.  ;)

@werty892: I’ll look into it, but I draw the line at fire breathing since it’s pretty much guaranteed death.  I’d be more willing if burns could be treated more reliably.  Increasing their size again is on the list though.

@ArchAIngel: A spear it shall be then!

@arclance: Thanks for answering that!  I had pretty much determined it wasn’t possible but it’s nice to know I haven’t missed something.

@Kaist: No idea bout cloning dwarves but your dwarf is assigned above.  Did you just want to stick with hauling, or are you interesting in a new

@markressler: Should be doable!  I’ve got your dwarf assigned above!  I’ve picked out a recent arrival who was actually a bone crafter but got dumped into the masonry pool. 

@Triaxx2: Sounds good! 

@Pittsy: I’ve assigned you a miner above; the military is exhausted for available dwarves.  Especially the males! 

@werty892: I’m back at last!  Adapting to having a daughter has been a significant challenge!  Especially in the spare time department.  I do approve of the bump picture, very cute! 

@Eldes: Thanks kindly!  I’m actually quite relieved the fortress has started running at a proper fps.  I was certain breaching the hidden fun stuff was going to kill it.

@Sotsepmet Koicei: That is a tall order but one that should be doable given time.  I’ll see what I can do.

@Clover Magic: I have assigned you a dwarf above!  She’s a significant character who’s been a highly valuable member of the fortress for many years.  Welcome!

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: October 02, 2012, 03:20:32 am »

"My arm is gone?
I didn't notice 'cause i had a fine drinke yesterday!"
 :P :P :P

Annales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: October 02, 2012, 03:42:23 am »

I've been lurking for the past 1.5 year now but this is the first time that I get the feeling that the end of Towersoared is looming.
Excellent work! And congrats for your child!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: October 02, 2012, 08:33:30 am »

Yes, congrats on the new baby! You'll find it's surprisingly easy to cradle her in one arm with a bottle tucked under your chin while you click away at 3am on the computer. ;)
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: October 02, 2012, 04:10:06 pm »

aaaand i'm dead. was hoping for something more spectacular, but then again, this is dwarf fortress.

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: October 02, 2012, 07:55:38 pm »

// OOC - Remember Ameryth, your friendly fort medium, for all your post-mortem telecommunications needs! Hauntings, exorcisms, seance sessions and more! //

The spirit of Fath came to me last night, a wailing spirit of woe and bearded regret, recently slain on the fields of war. He expressed the errors of his life to me at considerable length, and would not be driven from my room until I swore to see to it that he, and the rest of his brave soldier-companions were revered and remembered for as long as the Towers soar.

Idiot.

I didn't quite have the heart to tell him that dying while fleeing across a battlefield did not actually mean he died as a valiant defender of the fortress, but I did call him all manner of nasty things until he let me go back to sleep.

Oh. Erm. He did leave a message for his loved ones, but I don't quite recall what it was. I mentioned that the pale brick-head woke me up, didn't I? It was something about love, something about regretting not having the courage to stand up and make a name for himself until it was too late. Told me to tell his son that he'd be alright, and that he was in a better place. I was quite vexed, as I've said, but I had to agree with him. My room is far nicer than the killing fields out there.

With Fath banished with not-quite-false promises and hollow reassurances, I do resolve to go to the Architect tomorrow. I will ask him to make a memorial hall, and to fill it with engraved slabs where the people may pay homage to their fallen protectors. He might want to do something extravagent with the idea, or make more blood-damned work for us by demanding a hall for each protector. That's his business, of course, the building, the living. Mine is with the inconsiderate dead.

// OOC - Fath was unclaimed and unnamed, right? Nothing personal to him if he isn't! //

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: October 03, 2012, 09:19:42 am »

You should make a safe room with basic survival supplies and a one block corridor so Derm can hold any enemies off.

Kaist

• Escaped Lunatic
  • the Solivagant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: October 04, 2012, 12:03:43 am »

I'll stick with hauling for now. Thank you for the dorfing and congrats on the baby!
Kick reason to the curb and do the impossible!

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: October 04, 2012, 06:32:51 am »

Another slab, dyed red with hideroot ink, etched on white stone

More goblins. Stronger. Much stronger. We lost a few soldiers today, one lost an arm. Doped him up all sorts of high heaven with a poppy gin, doubt he feels anything but happy. A cruel twist of fate indeed. The guardians beat back the very hordes of hell themselves, yet are laid low by a siege of monstrous greenskins. The demons speak across the winds to their few free kindred. They spur them to use knowledge long forgotten and forsaken, imbuing their pitiful greenskins into true warriors. Why did they not do this from the start? Perhaps it takes too much a toil upon the pitiful greenskin's body, destroying them slowly but surely. Or perhaps it instills them with a destructive urge even the demon lord can not contain. Who knows what foul energy now brews outside of the black towers...

Drawing of a still in dimple cup ink

I still wait to see if my request is permitted. I fully understand it is outlandish, but one doesn't distill the raw essence of the netherworld without a proper container. I will have to bring down a few barrels of distilled water, to ensure no surface taint befouls my creations. I will search for usable yeasts in the underworld. There is bound a be a mold that will suffice. Request steel barrels and tongs, or very thick leather mitts. While the barrels still glow, haul them down to my workplace. Quite a lot of materials, yes, but I am sure once the first batch comes in, the naysayers will be silenced in all do time.

Drawing of a thorn covered, leafless tree in hideroot ink

I wonder if the underworld trees produce fruit like those above, or if they are just strange breeds of mushroom? I will have to keep an eye on them over the years. Perhaps a small garden would be in order. Make a small patch near my still, have one of the farmers attend to it for a decent cut of the final product. Brew some swill to put in the food stockpile, finer drinks are private reserves. Sharing is caring, but a favor adds flavor. Make them work for the finer ones. I don't ask for much, all those who assist in paving this path shall be justly rewarded with a few casks of the best I can produce. Have to find out what flavors they like, attempt to brew a few batches specially for them.

Drawing of a dwarf lying in bed. Dwarf is missing an arm

I know water for the wounded, they are not working so they do not get drink. To the hells with that I say. Anyone who losses an arm in battle deserves a stiff drink and a good meal. Took a couple waterskins, filled them with poppy gin. Doctors and patients will benefit greatly from these. Puts a dwarf on his ass in short order, although it makes then very lazy and numb. Something a wounded soldier needs.
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Pittsy

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't make me get the paper cup!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: October 05, 2012, 05:14:02 am »

// OOC- Dwarf I got is too perfect//

This is a leather-bound journal. All craftsdwarfship is of mediocre quality. It is decorated with dog leather, bands of horse leather, and goblin bone.

So I finally got my name changed, about bloody time too. Some of the worthless sissy elf lovers on my crew told me I should have a name with less connotations of 'falling and dying' and that I'm 'insane'. I told them if any pits show up, I'll be sure to toss their cat down it. That set them straight. Weak little water drinkers, not at all like Derm. Now, now there's a Dwarf. So strong, unflinching in the face of hell itself. Every time I see his big rippling arms swing that axe I ju- *the rest is hastily scratched out* -nd shove a cactus right up in there. But I digress, and it's almost time for my crew's shift.

// OOC- Seriously though, so glad you and your family is doing awesome. //

Overload_C14

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: October 06, 2012, 02:49:18 am »

Gosh, I just finished reading after 3 days and all I can say is "Wow" This fortress puts all of mine to shame. You made an amazing fort dude :)
I would also like to be Dwarf'd when springs comes around and you are doing more dwarf'ings. If the miner that got stuck floating in the dining hall (I think he was named Obok or something similar)  is still around I would love for him to be dwarf'd as Kathlorria the Time Traveler.
Good luck in defeating Hell, Im sure the killing machine know as Derm will be able to win against the demons.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:33 pm »

Glad to see you back!  Hope you're having a lot of happy times with your new dwarflet!  Thanks for the dorfing as well, may I ask, who was my friend who apparently died and rotted?  :P

Journal of Clover Magic Likotsat, 325

Welp, I did it, journal.  I finally worked up the courage to go ask for a name change.  I've been here years, and all these other dwarves were changing their names all fancy-like and stuff, so I decided I might as well step up and make a name for myself, too.

We got sieged by more goblins earlier, never seen the likes of them.  Buggers were bigger than any goblin I've ever seen!  I wonder if the old Mountainhomes were dealing with these kinds of goblins?  Seemed some crazy shit went down back there, it makes me glad I got out when I did.  I've been here in Towersoared so long I almost don't remember the old Halls!  Doesn't really matter anyways, Towersoared is loads better than that old dusty place anyways.

Still, I remember the day I came here.  Wasn't much to look at then - just a warren in the rock with a giant pit in the sand outside with strange unholy critters hanging around.  Still, as I settled in, hauling rocks and doing more stuff with rocks - never been much of a rock person, honestly - I remember looking around and seeing the place not how it was, but how it would be.  The thought of what it would really look like once all of these constructions were complete just took my breath away - crazy half-formed ideas they seemed at the time, I remember just feeling the potential.

I guess it turned me a little crazy, but I felt I just had to make something matching the splendor I felt this place would one day show, so I grabbed a beautiful tourmaline just lying around and went to work.  Every curve of the gem, every line, they all spoke to me, showing me how to shape it into a glorious throne.  A symbol, a prediction of the potential Towersoared had.  This little outpost would surely become the seat of dwarven power, and so a seat to represent that power was created.  Sure, maybe it was a little narcissistic of me to name the throne after myself, but hey, it was a way to let everyone know that I was here, that I was an integral part of the glory that Towersoared would become.  Of course, it also helped that it got me back into working with my true love - gems.  Cog - may his beard grow ever-long! - wasn't all too concerned with the details at that stage, I remember, so my profession hadn't seen any use, especially since there were others more skilled at the time, so I'd been relegated to rock-duty.  Of course, once I showed off my creation, that changed mighty quick!  Still wasn't too concerned with details still, though, our Cog - he thought I was a male at the time!  Ha!

Well, it doesn't matter much now.  I've lived a good life here in Towersoared so far - even was mayor for a bit until Zasit took over.  It was pretty fun, but I'm rather glad I'm just a normal dwarf now, it means more time for my gems when I don't have to meet with all the new diplomats and dwarves voicing every little complaint.  Definitely don't miss that!  I love a good talk as much as the next dwarf, but not when it turns to complaints and intellectual stuff.  Waste of time, there's nothing that can't be solved with good hard dwarf labor, if you ask me.

Oops, the shift-change call is starting, gotta get back to work.  I'll drink a toast to those brave soldiers who fell today defending Towersoared - our prosperity is thanks to you lads, you won't be forgotten.  As long as we have the likes of Derm and Thatdude and the others protecting this place, the glory of Towersoared will live on.  Long live Towersoared!

-Clover
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 118