Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293783 times)

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1605 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:25 pm »

100 notable kills and a demon kill. Pretty good if you ask me.
And the name's fine, thanks.

I really can't wait to read the rest of this.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: August 09, 2012, 07:41:30 am »

Three days of long nights.

107 pages of glory.

One humble request: Let me join this glory.

Kel Ragebrew: Mentally unhinged dwarf with a knack as herbalism, brewing, and handy with an axe.

Before he moved to Towersoared, he was a part of an ill fated fortress, Moltenhelm, settled in a haunted marshland, centered on a spire of stone, laced with silver and gold. Years passed, and it became a living hell. Foul beasts stalked the land, and over time, their unending numbers dwindled the population of the fortress to only a handful of dwarves. They knew their salvation lie within the heart of the earth. They breached one of the massive underground caverns, only to find it was just as bad beneath the ground as it was above. Forgotten beasts swarmed the fortress before a proper defense could be built. Kel was left fleeing into the night as his friends, family and love were brutally slain.

He was found by a trade caravan, sent to check on the fortress. When asked, Kel was silent. His mind had set the horrible memories under lock and key, trying to protect him from the mind rending thoughts. When they turned to resume their way to the fortress, he went into a frothing rage, only repeating "ALL ARE DEAD" over and over until he was subdued by the guard. Taking pity on the poor wreck, they took him along with them. Lucky for Kel, the next stop on their trip was Towersoared.

He has served the hauling corp loyally, speaking not a word and obeying every order given to him without question. He was given a name by the guards, and it was the only words he ever spoke to anyone. Now... Now hell had been cracked open.

Perhaps the sight of demon blood on the ground, the sounds of their screams, and the rumble of stone snapped something in the catatonic dwarf. His life came crashing back to him, those horrible memories, hidden beneath so many mental wards, his mind's futile attempt to protect him, came rushing back, every detail as sharp as adamantine, and as clear as crystal glass. A cry that would chill the heart of a banshee was the first thing he produced. Somehow, through the shattered pieces, he pieced himself back together, a broken mosaic of a dwarf. One of the few dwarves who had taken a liking to him asked him what had happened. "Urist?! Are you alright?" "Urist.... I am not Urist. I am Kel. Kel Ragebrew, survivor of Moltenhelm. Where is our mayor? I have much catching up to do..."

The Depths spoke to him. They tell him of a world within a world, a place of sorrow and suffering. He does not drink endlessly to dull the voices, for a moment's silence makes their return all the harsher. He instead drinks so he may amplify those which speak of wonder and glory, of conquest and victory. Each new brew strengthens the voices of glory, while slowly drowning out the voices of despair.

((Yes, I write a lot, but damnit man, if you haven't gotten me inspired.))
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:09:22 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:36 am »

Ameryth sat in a quiet corner of the tunnels that composed the impending memorial-to-be, trying to reach her guides. In the bustle of the fair Towersoared, they were often lost or driven away by the din of life. It was only among primordial rock, the peaceful dead and the hum of far-off footsteps that they could be heard clearly.

None of her guides ever manifested to the sight or hearing of any other dwarf, not even one of her siblings. She never wanted to say much, content with the love of her family, the wonder of a marvellous fort and an ordinary life of obscurity. Often, when the spirits spoke, she dismissed their whispers, or ignored them entirely. It was only recently, grudgingly, that she had begun to take note of them; the broken Underworld had been loosed upon the world, and she felt every slight, every love and every hurt of her ghostly companions. What had once been apathy was now a very personal connection. 

"I've done as you've asked, and Cog agreed unhesitatingly, just as you said he would. When a man dies, he will know to come to me for a voice... Cog did say that waxworking was unlikely to happen. Well, we can't make wax without bees now, can we? No, I'm certain that I have no idea where the bees have g- no, I've never seen one before."

Cool whispers slither across the stone, in subtle, sun-deprived breezes. Dust is harried across the floor. A few hairs are tugged free of her braid.

"Perhaps I could work with something else? Oh, don't be ridiculous, you can't make a house of soap. Pick something sensible! Wood? I can make a home of life using wood, can't I? Meat? Bones? I don't think that would work, they don't stick together very w- oh? Oh, I see what you mean. I can do that. Yes. My 'house of life' will be made of wood, and I shall see if I can get to bonecrafting. Bolts covered in prayer will strike at more than exposed flesh, and, in time, my bone inlays will call on the true majesty of whatever poor thing was felled for them."

Content, the spirits faded away, leaving Ameryth with little more than a smile, a dusty dress and untidy braids. She considered her place in the fortress, resolving to mention that she was happy to help the butchers and tanners (to calm the animal's spirit), or the wood-burners and furnace-workers (to invoke the shades of the trees), or any other little domestic duty that might be in need of an extra pair of hands. Another moment of reflection passed, bringing the supplementary decision to remind Cog that her main role is a spiritual one, and that while she is happy to help, being assigned to too many professions at once would leave her very little time to do what must be done.

@Battlecat
Whee dorfings! I didn't even think about beelessness when I mentioned waxworking, so sorry about that! Ameryth would like to be a bonecrafter primarily, so that she can inlay things with bone/ivory and carve totems. She's happy to lend a hand with the above jobs if they need the help, but should focus on bonecraft. Wood for her house wasn't exactly ideal, but fell in with the idea of a 'house of life'. If you can think of something more suitable (that isn't soap) please use it!

Kel the Oblivious

• Bay Watcher
  • A Vile Force of Dorkness has Arrived!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:11 am »

@Sotsepmet
Kel and Ameryth are gonna get along nicely. "Do you hear the voices too?"
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:45:29 am by Kel the Oblivious »
To err is to man, as to kill your entire population because you forgot a single stone block in your incredibly amazing steam aquaduct system is to dwarf

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: August 10, 2012, 01:38:46 am »

Diary of Frontestro Rithzammedtob. Entry 222.

Yes diary, with a new mountainhome I have decided it is time to reinvent myself. I was the king's loyal guard and window repair man for 18 years and in that time I thought that I had trained myself to be one of the most skilled of our race's warriors. An example of what any young recruit strives to be. Yet when we first arrived here, the resting place of our king and new mountain home, Towersoared... these warriors around me clad in adamantine, the legendary metal, ... they revealed to me how litttle I actually knew of combat. Me?! Legendary!? In the old mountainhome tales were told of Towersoared albiet behind the backs of nobility. Of its army of immortal warriors, of its grand halls, unimaginable wealth, and of its demigod. In history many a legend like this is told yet... I still can not believe I live in such a place as this. I fufilled my duty to bring the king here in his final hours, a noble feat, I did my duty, but as I now live here it frightens me some. I am now counted amongst the military of this new mountainhome and as such it is my duty as a "legendary" speardwarf to defend this place till my last breath. Yet amongst the members of this fortress's military I feel like I am back in my recruit days 56 years ago... they fought creatures of the underworld these dwarfs. Beings that defy existance. And all lived to see another day... I wonder how soon shall it be my turn to stand up and be counted. How soon until I must stand against a tide of things unknow. And in that moment lay down my life for towersoared. And the stories were wrong... the soulchopper is no demigod, he is a force and it is through this military and through the vessel Derm especially the will of this god of slaughter and blood is focused. May I be seen fit to be amongst the chosen.

Ooc: sometimes you read physical, mental, and personality traits on dorfs, this one is pretty damn close to being me spot on xD

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:27 am »

DERMONSTER IS ON A KILLING SPREE!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:19 am »

Yes, I think we need to do a alternate reality episode of Derm vs. The Legions of !!FUN!!
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: August 13, 2012, 06:25:01 am »

Blitzkrieg? Nah, just a Dermkrieg.

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:10 am »

What do you mean 'just' a Dermkrieg?

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: August 13, 2012, 12:30:19 pm »

Blitzkrieg requires an entire army. Dermkrieg needs only Derm.

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: August 13, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »

i'm waiting for the moment that derm goes BERSERK and destroy's the entire fortress.
Waiting......waiting.......

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: August 15, 2012, 04:26:24 pm »

So....AWESOME!
I would be like to be dorfed. Male speardwarf named "Arch" Custom profession Halberdier.
He has had the idea to put a axe on a spear to make a weapon to chop up anything, and he calls it a halberd.
Also, could you put up the towersoared save somewhere? It looks like it would be interesting to mess around with.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:06 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 21st of Opal 325

I guess the absence of overwhelming fear leads to inspiration or something.  Today our second master brewer came by requesting a name change.  I suspect there is a friendly rivalry between her and Worm to try and produce the finest drinks.  No arguments from me, competition breeds quality.  Anyhow, she now goes by the name Blead. 

Spoiler: Blead, Master Brewer (click to show/hide)

I guess she feels a new name might increase her visibility in the fortress. 

Events of the 22nd of Opal, 325

Indri was working away at the unfulfilling task of squaring off another block.  He, like many other dwarves had been abruptly assigned to masonry duty to prepare for the battle.  For whatever reason, many dwarves had not been removed from the assignment.  Indri was a good worker though and he toiled away at the obsidian.

Suddenly, a flash of light before his eyes.  He saw a glorious thing.  When the moment passed, the vision was still in his mind.  He had to build it, right now as fast as he could.  And there was only one place he could do that.  He left the masonry tower in a rush.  But where was it, his place was missing. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Opal 325

I had an interesting visit today from one of the members of the hauling corps.  This individual has not spoken ten words since he arrived with the migration wave that also brought Crifmer and Mr. Anderson among others.  Apparently something regarding the work in the depths pushed him out of his shell.  He introduced himself as Kel Ragebrew, the Survivor of Moltenhelm and expressed a desire to brew, gather herbs and train as an axedwarf.

I accepted his request of course and altered the name on his record.  After he left, I had to dig deep into my records to find out where he was from.  Moltenhelm was intended to be a minor outpost in a dangerous marshland.  Apparently its entire population died out before the first caravan arrived.  If he is a survivor, I’m sure he has a bone to pick with demons and the like.  I’m not going to argue, he looked a bit unhinged. 

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Opal 325

Yet another dwarf has come by my office requesting a name change and job re-assignment.  Today it was one of the former members of the royal guard, currently listed as a sworddwarf.  But instead of leaving the military he wanted to put an axe on a spear to make a halberd.  I told him he could train as a spear dwarf, or even as a halberdier if he really wants since we have some halberds in stock from some siege or from the humans many years back. 

Spoiler: Arch the Halberdier (click to show/hide)

I’ve marked him down as a halberdier for the moment.  We’ll see if that sticks or if he wants something different.  I guess he wanted to try something new but stuck with traditional weapons back at mountainhome.

On a separate note, I received word today that Indri is in the dining hall in a strange mood ranting about needing a proper surface to work on.  Apparently I neglected to rebuild his workshops after that hideously fast beast managed to get partway into the fortress.  I had that fixed quickly and Indri dashed off in the direction of his workshops when I gave him the news without two words.  Guess he’s really excited about his idea. 

OOC:  Quiet times right now in the game but life is busy.  I’m plugging away at getting the isolation collapse done.  Some of the demons have started moving around so I may be able to get the archers some work in the near future. 

@Blead: Thanks for the reply, you’re in now! 

@dermonster: Thanks!

@Triaxx2: Sounds good!

@Prometheusmfd: Excellent, glad to hear it!

@Kel the Oblivious: Congratulations, it’s no small feat to read the entire thread!  Thanks for getting back to me via PM.  I didn’t mention in the messages, but your introduction is quite incredible!  Your dwarf is introduced above!  I’ve set his job title as Survivor of Moltenhelm just for something different but we can change that if you like. 

@Sotsepmet Koicei: Wonderful journal!  No worries!  Boneworking is certainly doable; we have a lot of materials around.  And wood for the house is well within our ability.  Would you prefer surface wood (saguaro) or the mushroom woods?  We have lots of both available.  In the meantime I’ll start carving out her apartment above the mausoleum.  It should be visible on the next map which will be generated at year end. 

@Frontestro: Excellent, I enjoyed reading that!  Hopefully you’ll be able to earn your first Towersoared kills soon!

@kisame12794: He’s always on a killing spree. 

@Mjattie: It’s on the list!  I’ve got the backup save to run at some point here. 

@Child of Armok: If that ever happens, I don’t know if the fortress will survive.

@ArchAIngel: Greetings!  Your dwarf is introduced above.  I’ll start him off training as a speardwarf for now, but if you’re interested there are actual halberds available in the fortress.  They’re made out of iron but I believe dwarves can actually train in exotic weapons.  I can also examine modding the game to add halberds to the craftable list.  I have no idea if it’s possible but I’m kind of curious and I might look into it. 

Also, check the OOC section of the previous update for a link to the Towersoared save from just prior to breaching the adamantine!

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: August 17, 2012, 02:39:35 pm »

*thinks about candy halberds* but if you cannot mod in craftable halberds, then spears would be nice. Although halberds could actually be good at killing demons, as they could keep away enemies and axe them to leave. :P Otherwise, thanks and i hope i don't screw this up. First dorfing ever.

Edit: i extracted the file into the save folder, but when i open df it does not see it.  :(
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:25:50 pm by ArchAIngel »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: August 18, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

It's still 31.25.
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 118