Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293787 times)

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1590 on: July 25, 2012, 05:40:36 pm »

Seal off the section that has the goo with a airlock of two locked doors, and have shoe changing stations in it. Actually just make sure everyone's wearing shoes and that they never change around the stuff. Once you kill all those demons, you'll have a delicious cocktail of toxins more deadly than cyanide all over the floor, so yeah. You could set up showers and grates for those hallways to wash it away, though that might "leak" a bit and flood your entire fort with toxic, cyanide water.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

Frontestro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 26, 2012, 09:37:08 am »

Did I read this correctly? You are allowing dorfings!? If so I will take any free fisherman, mechanic or spear dorf you have. Preferably speardorf but I doubt you have many if any. (So many bows, axes, and hammers. This is a truly dorf fort.)

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1592 on: July 26, 2012, 06:41:33 pm »

I wonder how my guy's doing.
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 27, 2012, 03:40:23 pm »

my guy's probably sleeping again

Sotsepmet Koicei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 28, 2012, 11:00:26 am »

Four days later, and here I am at the present day. Awesome!

I would like to request a dwarfing, if I may. Female, a relatively young adult. I'd like to be a waxworker, and I'd like to have a room very near (if not directly above/attached to) the graveyard or mausoleum. The room should eventually have wax wall and floors if possible.

I'd appreciate it if you'd allow her to be guided by (among other things) the dearly departed Undertaker, who urges her towards the seeing to the needs of the dead. Her spiritual mentor is the reason she prefers to be near to the charnel houses; she sees the dead as her charges, and is quite invested in their legacies and veneration.

Her name ought to be 'Ameryth'.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 28, 2012, 12:22:34 pm »

Drat, we should have made that demon Derm killed earlier in the story into a hat for him to wear during the fighting. That would have been awesome.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 29, 2012, 10:34:38 am »

It's not a horrible elderitch abomination, it's a hat!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 29, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »

Precisely.

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56:11 pm »

Holy crap I just remembered this today. And now that I'm seeing dorfing is available, I'm going to have to jump on that offer. I don't remember if the military has all been claimed, but if not, I'd like a military dwarf of inconsequential weapon. Preferably male, but if only females are available, then I can take that too.

I've got to say, I absolutely love this fort!
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

siraidan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 03, 2012, 05:49:52 pm »

Cool, cool, how do you propose to dispose of the remaining demonic horde?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 04, 2012, 07:51:09 pm »

What? You don't know? Why, with Dwarven steel my good sir!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: August 05, 2012, 07:48:21 am »

Can I get a Dwarf as well? I don't really mind what he does, but preferably he's in controle of the booze.

Also, Can we get a demon kill count from our militia? Good show Battlecat!  :D
NOT a friendly dwarf.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 08, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 15th of Opal 325

Two more name changes requested today.  The request today came from one of the former members of the royal guard, looking for a fresh start.  He’s a legendary speardwarf and wants to now be known as Frontestro. 

Spoiler: Frontestro, Speardwarf (click to show/hide)

He was a member of one of the squads I held in the second line of defense so he didn’t see any combat during the first wave of demons.  But he’ll get a chance to show his strength at a later date I’m sure. 

The second request came from the 13th child of Amsel and Vucar.  She’s the fourth to request a name change and reassignment to date.  She’s been working as a mason for about a year since she came of age.  She wants to work as a waxworker, which I’m not sure is possible here since it freezes during the winter.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single bee here.  But she also wants to help and guide the dead in the place of Undertaker.  I’ve named her the fortress spiritual guide until she comes up with a better job title.  She has decided to name herself Ameryth. 

I’ve asked her to consider some other options for a backup career but I’ve taken her off the mason work list for the moment so she can have some time to consider her options. 

After this, I took some time to poke around the fortress and see what was going on.  I’ve been doing paperwork for days it seems.  I ran across Fenix the Weaponsmith hauling blocks up at the surface to my surprise.  When I asked, he reminded me that I’d assigned most of the fortress to masonry work back when were preparing to open the adamantine pipe.  Since there were no weapons on the agenda today, he was hauling stone. 

I apologized for not rescinding the orders sooner and immediately commissioned some new copper weapons.  Fenix is only adept so I’ve assigned the forge exclusively to him for the moment.  We’ll get him up to legendary as soon as possible.  Plus, copper weapons should be good for trading to the merchants in the future.

Later I ran into Muffintoast, the Shielddwarf.  He was wandering around down in the military mausoleum, looking at the coffin I had assigned him just before cracking open the adamantine.  I think he expected to be in it today and look at little lost.  Sadly, he didn’t get any kills in the depths although he was there, but neither did many other dwarves.  I told him that I would ask Derm to try and have him on the front lines during the next siege in the meantime.  Muffintoast is proficient with his shields now and is considered a skilled fighter.  Shield combat is a hard thing to train in but he’s doing well. 

Fortress seems to be quite upbeat lately.  I’ve even heard joking talk about turning demon corpses into hats. 

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Opal 325

Another dwarf fell sick from the demon goo today.  This time it was Mebzuth, our Legendary Armorsmith who crafted every piece of adamantine armor in use by our military.  I really hope she pulls through.  I’ve got to figure out a shoe policy somehow! 

Since several dwarves have been asking, I’ll be posting this on the public notice boards today.  The following details the next steps for retaking the adamantine pipe and clearing out the rest of the demons. 

Step 1:We need to divide the isolate the bulk of the demon armies.  It appears a number of them have migrated up into the other adamantine pipe so we’re going to attempt to trap them there using a simple cave in trap.  The structure is already in place, we just need to install a support and trigger so we can drop it without getting someone killed. 

Step 2:Eradicate the loose demons.  Depending on what demons we can observe wandering around in the open area, we may send in the melee forces but if any fire demons are present I’ll have the archers to clear those out instead.  Once that is done, the miners can move back in and begin digging out th   e entire pipe.  The military will have to be on rotation to guard the area because I suspect we’ll have the occasional demon wandering up in the future. 

Step 3:With the bulk of the demons isolated we can dig fortifications to pick them off with bolts at our leisure.  The inaccessibility of the other adamantine pipe is not an issue for our economy at the moment.  The amount available to us appears to be insane. 

Once these steps are done, I’ll reveal the next stages of the plan.

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Opal 325

The wave of name change requests continues!

Today’s came from a long time resident of our fortress.  She’s one of the original members of our military, recruited when Derm initially organized us.  She has fought alongside Derm this entire time and was on the front lines during the recent battle.  She is now known as Prometheus although she was still considering an alternate name.

Cog’s Journal, 20th of Opal 325

As expected, Mebzuth made a full recovery after a few days.  Thank the gods again! 

With the health issues beginning to clear up (hopefully) from the demon goo, I can finally take a moment to review the results of the battle.  Our military performed admirably.  I’ve got all this noted in detail elsewhere but for the sake of space I’m summarized it here:

Derm the Soulchopper: 7 Demons
Thatdude, Marksdwarf: 5 Demons
Lars, Sworddwarf: 4 Demons
Thor, Hammerdwarf: 2 Demons
Sazir, Marksdwarf : 2 Demons (ooc: Unclaimed)
Sturist, Axedwarf: 2 Demons
Ahra, Speardwarf: 1 Demon
Rovod, Sworddwarf: 1 Demon (ooc: Unclaimed)
Monty, Sworddwarf: 1 Demon
Prometheus, Axedwarf: 1 Demon
Adker, Marksdwarf: 1 Demon

An admirable performance considering each of these demons is reportedly equal in size and power to the forgotten beasts that occasionally show up. 

OOC:  Have to make it short today due to time restrictions.  To make up for it, I’ve got a present for all of you.  You can get the immediately “pre-fun” version of the fortress right here!  It’s just before I issued the orders to mine the adamantine.  Go ahead and give it a try, explore the fortress and post your results here!  If you find things you have questions about, don’t hesitate to ask! 

@Mjattie: Forcing everyone to wear shoes in this version is challenging.  I think I might have to continue with the “militia” project take care of that but in the meantime I think sealing the area off might do it.  Good call.  The actual combat zone is in the basement so I can probably flush the cocktail of toxins into hell.  Or I can flood it with lava and burn it away.  That could work as well.  Thanks for the ideas!

@Frontestro: Welcome aboard!  Your dwarf is introduced above.  There was one male legendary speardwarf available from the former royal guard that arrived just before the fun.  No combat at the fortress yet but he’ll be a force to reckon with already.

@highzealot: Your dwarf was Fenix right?  I’ve put a blurb in about what he’s up to above. 

@automaton: I’ve put a small follow up on your dwarf above as well.  Your dwarf was Muffintoast if I recall correctly. 

@Sotsepmet Koicei: Welcome to the fortress!  I’ve introduced your dwarf above; she’s the 13th daughter of the fortress’ most prolific family.  The only problem I can see is waxworking isn’t actually available since we have no bees.  While the fortress is running in a version where it’s theoretically possible, I’ve never seen any bees spawn, possibly since it was created before beekeeping was added. 

@Triaxx2: Heh, that would be priceless.  Did you want your dwarf to open his doors or is he just going to chill for a while longer? 

@kisame12794: Lol, that’s perfect! 

@Prometheusmfd: I’ve assigned you one of the remaining axedwarves from Derm’s original squad back when the military first was instituted.  Her introduction is above.  She’s been defending the fortress for just as long as him, and is comparable in strength (I included runesmith stats) she just wasn’t claimed due to her gender.  Hope that works.  I named her based on your forum name, if you would like it adjusted, just let me know! 

@siraidan: I’ve outlined the initial plans above.  It’s pretty straight forward actually; mostly it involves sniping them through fortifications since separating the demons is going to be nearly impossible.  The archers are going to get a lot of fun out of this. 

@Blead: Hrm, in control of the booze?  I’ve sent you a PM regarding some options. 
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 12:27:05 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 08, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »

*Grin* Still the best!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 08, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »

Yeah. He can poke his head out now. And open the bridges for the porches in case we need to shoot some demons from them.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 118