Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293793 times)

Riversand

• Bay Watcher
  • Gem-Tastic!
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1575 on: July 11, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »

Drop the stones.
This is Dwarf Fortress! If we can chuck magma at innocent wildlife, we can do ANYTHING!

It was at this point that I realised that dwarves are actually the essence of chaos. What else can make perpetual motion machines, recursive statues with more building materials than the average tower and has such a short attention span that a damn fine chair can off-set the death of their entire family.

Blead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 12, 2012, 07:34:21 am »

Drop the stones!
NOT a friendly dwarf.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 13, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »

I vote Cave-in trap.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 15, 2012, 03:24:27 am »

Let them comprehend the gravity of their situation.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: July 18, 2012, 07:15:18 pm »

Is anyone still here? I need to know how this ends.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 19, 2012, 08:02:24 am »

He's probley still running the game, but he's at like 0 FPS
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 19, 2012, 12:22:14 pm »

The Battle for the Adamantine – Part 4

“THROW THE SECOND SWITCH”, Derm shouted!  The order echoed down the corridor and was relayed up the stairs by several dwarves who were working in the central shaft, waiting for news. 

The military waited for what seemed like an eternity.  The marksdwarves continued their shooting as the demons continued swarming towards the rest of the military.  Then they heard a rumbling sound of machinery and an awful crashing noise. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The marksdwarves watched as a massive slab of stone crashed down into the corridor onto the demons.  A massive cloud of dust rolled out towards them.  One flame demon burst into a cloud of flames as it die.  The flames rolled through the fortifications and into the marksdwarves combat zone. 

Thatdude and Ren managed to dodge the worst of the dust cloud, but Sazir and Adker were caught up in it.  When the dust cleared the area was safe except for the echoing screeches of frustration from the demons.  All that had gotten through was a single boiling fiend which might not be as lethal as the fire beasts.

The marksdwarves moved forward to the other combat zone to see how many demons they could kill now. They would be confused now that their access to the surface had been cut off. 

Sazir was following, although she was slowing down.  Suddenly she spoke.  “I don’t feel so good . . .  I feel a bit numb and I’m getting a fever or something”

There was something like glue stuck to her ear and throat.  It looked like some sort of goop from the demons had splattered on her skin.  Then Adker shouted “I’m feeling a bit off as well.  I got something in my eye!” 

In the meantime, Derm’s squad had just polished up the last demons and they began comparing notes.  Nobody was dead, that was a miracle.  However, Bennet, Sturist, Lars and several other dwarves were all reporting similar symptoms to the marksdwarves.  The common theme seemed to be splattering of stuff from the Pterosaur like demons. 

Derm looked over his fellow dwarves.  “We might as well stand down for a while.  You three and anyone else who got hit by something unpleasant go get cleaned up.  See the doctors if you feel particularly unwell.  Armok knows they have been pretty bored.” 

OOC:  My apologies for the ongoing slowness of updates!  I appreciate all the votes!  I’m lucky if I can get one gaming sitting in during the week and it’s running very slow during that time!  I promise I’ll keep making the time to play it out.  The first phase is done.  Next time, we find out the fate of Zanfar and how bad these syndromes are going to be.  There might be some deaths yet. 

@Triaxx2: Done, I think I splattered about 8 or 10.  The fortress is safe for now since it seems none of these demons can go through fortifications. 

@Just Some Guy: Sorry for not answering you sooner, I usually manage to get a PM sent out in response to these requests.  I’m pretty much wrapping the fortress up for the most part so the project won’t be doable, but I can still get you a dwarf in the next update.  I’ve got some regular work to do before cracking open the tunnel again to build the stairway to hell.  I’ll have it for you next update!

@wsoxfan: I let through as many as possible.  The boiling fiends turned out to not be dangerous.  I guess they don’t do fire damage. 

@Riversand: They be dropped!

@Blead: Indeed!

@Paaad: Cave in it is!

@Darkening Kaos: I believe the demons felt the full weight of the preparations.  :)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 19, 2012, 02:04:19 pm »

Yay, the fort's not dead! I thought the FPS had killed it.

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:46 pm »

I want this to be challenging, but at the same time I don't want such a grand fortress to die to something as "simple" as disease.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 20, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »

Words can not describe the awesomeness of this fort. I have just spent 3 days reading this on and off, and.... wow. If possible, could I get a dwarft, male, highest skill metalworker availble, I look forward to seeing the destruction and conquring of hell!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 22, 2012, 06:07:41 pm »

Which dwarfs are infected? Can they be quarantined before it spreads more?

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 23, 2012, 09:18:20 am »

Its alive! Oh, no wait, nevermind.... Battlecat, come back! Bring this fort back to its glory!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »

We've lived through longer hiatuses, I'm not even the slightest bit rustled yet
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 25, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »

Sazir doesn't appear to be wearing any headgear.  Is this correct?

If so, you might want to fix that, even if it's just to help keep the splatter off of their heads.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 25, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »

The Battle for the Adamantine, Finale

Zanfar had attacked the walls of the adamantine for hours and hours it seemed.  The pick swung of its own volition until Zanfar was gasping for breath from exhaustion.  At some point she blacked out. 

Zanfar roused briefly at the rumbling sound that marked the military caving in the defensive barrier.  But exhaustion took Zanfar again until a coarse voice shook her out of her sleep.  A demon composed of snow was standing over her.  “You have failed us little dwarf.  They were prepared, far too prepared.” 

Before Zanfar could utter a single word of defense, the snow demon contemptuously lashed out with a foot, kicking her in the head.  As the scene faded to black, she heard the demon say to the others, “There must be another way out; we are free of the adamamtine now.  Spread out and start searching.”

Cog’s Journal, 4th of Opal 325

We have survived.  Not only that, our warriors faced the forces of hell and won in a spectacular manner.  There are still a massive number of demons in the cave below, but for the moment we are completely secure. 

There was a brief moment of panic when about half a dozen military members fell sick from some forgotten beast goo or something.  But by the time they had wiped the stuff off and gotten up to the top of the stairs to the main fortress they were feeling much better.  To a dwarf, they headed back to the military tower to resume training.  The brief fever and numbness doesn’t seem to have had any lasting effect!

Thatdude and a couple other marksdwarves are down in the depths keeping an eye on things, but they report that the demons headed off to try to find another route into the fortress.  I’ve ordered them to stand down for now.  They’ll have plenty more work to do once we are prepared to take care of the demons.  I think the monsters are going to be horribly disappointed.  I personally checked the area for access points and sealed them all up.  We’ll have to contain or kill the remaining demons before we can resume mining but at the moment we are safe. 

The only remaining mystery is who breached the adamantine.  Nobody came out of the area when the flood of demons began.  We won’t be able to explore until we secure and eliminate those demons.  I’ve got some miners working on a collapse to try and isolate a portion of the demons at the other adamantine pipe.  Then we can start carving fortifications to kill them at our leisure. 

Spoiler: Demon Party (click to show/hide)

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Opal 325

It really doesn’t take long for things to get back to normal.  Today I had not one, but two dwarves come into my office requesting name changes. 

The first is the seventh child of Vucar and Amsel, now a young mason in training.  Having grown up here, he seemed quite interested in Derm and wanted a fresh start to kick off his career.  He muttered about building a massive statue of Derm.  I told him he’d need to put together detailed blueprints because I just don’t have a talent for that sort of design.  I asked him what he wanted to be called but he wasn’t really sure.  I put Justguy down on his file and told him to let me know if he wanted it changed. 

Spoiler: Justguy the Mason (click to show/hide)

The second is one of our legendary metalsmiths.  He mixes his time between the anvil and the furnaces these days.  I guess he just wanted to refresh his career, especially now that we might have enough adamantine for him to start working with it instead of just the armor and weaponsmiths. 

Spoiler: Werty the Blacksmith (click to show/hide)

Ahh normality.  It’s a shame we still have an army of demons lurking in the depths. 

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Opal 325

It appears I spoke too soon about the disease being contained.  Rogue, one of our fortress founders stumbled into the hospital and collapsed into bed today.  She was suffering from numbness and a fever.  When I asked what she was doing, she said she went to do some cleaning for a change of pace.  Unfortunately, that cleaning was apparently some of the demon goo leftover from the battle.  She got some on her feet and that was that. 

The doctor said that other than cleaning the wound, there was nothing he could do.  She complained about that and headed off to have a drink. 

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Opal 325

Darned if Rogue’s symptoms didn’t clear right up when she had her drink.  Relief doesn’t even begin to describe how I feel right now.  Which is good because Asob, one of our new military members from the recent squad has also been hit with the same symptoms.  He wasn’t wearing his assigned boots and picked it up when he walked through it.  I hope he recovers quickly.

Cog’s Journal, 14th of Opal 325

Asob’s fever broke today and the numbness quickly faded as well.  So it takes about 3-7 days to fight off the symptoms once the goo has been cleaned off. 

And I’ve tracked down the problem.  Apparently there is some contamination by the well in the hospital.  I’ve ordered it cleaned up as quickly as possible but I suspect this is going to be the new normal for our fortress.  How do we clean this crap up? 

OOC:  As soon as I cut off their path the demons wandered up into the other pipe, killed Zanfar and just seem to be hanging out there now since they can get higher up than they can in the rest of the tunnels.  We haven’t truly “won” yet but at this stage we’re doing pretty impressively! 

As for the syndrome, as soon as the military washed the demon goo off, they seemed to get better.  They all went back to the military tower to train!  There have been some other infections, so I’m open to suggestions on how to get rid of this crud.  We really dodged a bullet on this though. 

I’m reopening the fortress to dwarfings now but please specify if gender matters to you!  I’d say more than three quarters of the male dwarves in the fortress are claimed now.  I’ll see how long I can keep this fortress going but Derm (or some other dwarf if something happens) exploring hell and returning to tell the tale seems like a good goal.  The FPS has improved immensely now.  Unfortunately, my spare time hasn’t!

@Just Some Guy: Not dead, just slow as molasses!  But we’re alive and the FPS has improved.  Your dwarf is now assigned, let me know if you want to change the name!

@Prometheusmfd: Nah, it seems the military is too tough to be taken down by something silly like a disease.  They got better as soon as they washed up.

@Werty892: Welcome, your dwarf is above!   Don’t fret if I don’t update often!  I would say once a week is about the highest frequence you can expect right now.  But I appreciate your enthusiasm! 

@wsoxfan: Doesn’t appear that quarantine is necessary.  It’s not contagious, just seems to be caused by getting the demon goo on you.

@Scaraban: Heh yeah, it’s been unreliable at times.  :-)  I’m working on it though! 

@HiEv: Heh, you beat this post by mere moments.  You’re right, he’s not wearing headgear for some reason.  I’ll have to fix that.  Most of the other dwarves who got infected were in full armor as far as I know though so I’m not sure if it’s a 100% solution.  Thanks for catching that! 
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 118