Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293795 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1560 on: July 02, 2012, 09:50:59 am »

That's quite the trope page.

Look at all the military tropes!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: July 02, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »

An example of awesomeness of the internet. Yesterday it contained only memetic badass.

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: July 02, 2012, 09:25:47 pm »

Well, the military tropes were the easy ones. Right now, I'm putting off going through the entire thread again to single out tropes in the lesser known parts of the story.

That being said, I wait eagerly for the conclusion.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: July 05, 2012, 02:40:04 pm »

The Battle for the Adamantine – Part 2

Thatdude lead the charge as the marksdwarf squad ran down the corridor after Sazir their squad leader received the orders from Derm.  They would begin peppering the demons with bolts as they approached the bulk of the military.  As they moved forward, a demon came around the corner and into sight. 

Spoiler: White Spectre (click to show/hide)

This beast was not the priority though.  Suddenly they heard a “twang” from a crossbow behind them.  Sazir had lined up a shot through the fortifications and killed the beast in a single shot. 

The thing was almost absurdly flimsy.  Thatdude smiled.  The archers might be able to do significant damage from the looks of things.  Then she rounded the corner and saw what was coming.  At least a dozen demons were in the corridor approaching the combat zone.  Thatdude brandished her crossbow and began to open fire.  In addition to the White Spectres and Winged Monsters there was a third demon in the mob.  The oddest thing she’d see yet. 

Spoiler: Horned Brute (click to show/hide)

In the meantime, a second winged monster had entered the melee combat area.  Derm and his squad were fighting it.  The beast would charge one dwarf and then another dwarf would take a shot.  Derm finished the beast off, removing the beast’s head with a single stroke of his axe.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A salt demon came around the corner next but Derm watched as Thor easily dispatched it with a single blow from his platinum hammer.  Then yet another new beast rounded the corner along with a Horned Brute.

Spoiler: Snow Banshee (click to show/hide)

These two beasts were a lot more robust but still the military took them down.  Lars took out the Banshee with a punch to the head and the Brute went completely berserk before being dispatched by Rovod, one of the sworddwarves.  Suddenly, there were no demons present. 

Then during the brief silence, the melee fighters  heard Thatdude laughing down the corridor, “Did you see that?  Straight into the things brain!”

Then another 6 demons started emerging from the tunnel and the moment passed.

OOC:  So slow!  We’ll get through this though.  Though it’s odd, it gets faster in brief pulses which is kind of odd.  No dwarves dead or even injured yet! 

@Triaxx2: Oh yes, those are closed now as well.

@siraidan: Indeed, this is getting insane fast.  Or very slowly if you go by fps.

@Child of Armok: I don’t think they have any sense of self preservation. 

@wsoxfan: We’ll see.  Might be poor dwarves depending on what happens when some of the as yet unseen demons arrive.

@Riversand: An excellent question!  Here are Derm’s stats as of the beginning of the demon siege.  The numbers are a bit intimidating to say the least.  The highlights are 131 in Axe and 140 in fighting now.  So he’s still going up at a respectable rate. 

His attributes are equally impressive.  Except for healing and recovery, he’s crap at that.  Heh, not enough practice. 

@Prometheusmfd: Wow, thanks for taking the time to read the entire thread.  And a TvTropes page?  My word that is something else, thanks very much for setting it up!  There’s some interesting stuff in there.  It’s been quite the journey! 

The military certainly stands out but there is some crazy stuff going on with the normal dwarves as well.  Just as an example in the numbers department from our original colonists: Urist Imiknorris is level 31 as a mason and has spend the last 4 or 5 years training as a dyer (now legendary as well).  Pawn the original mechanic is level 22 as a machinist.  And Cog has reached level 36 as an organizer. 

There are examples of absurd skill from every discipline in the fortress not just the longtime residents.  I guess that’s what happens when the bulk of a fortress has been working at their respective jobs relatively uninterrupted for 15 years!

@dermonster:  I have to chuckle at how many Derm has qualified for.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:18:33 pm by Battlecat »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: July 05, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »

Sorry I haven't contributed anything for awhile, thought the fort died ages ago, just recently noticed it was back. Caught my reading back up, and I am surprised to see you tackling hell.

Now, I know for sure that the fort will survive, and my dwarf needs to make a name for himself, I need some kind of massive project. What I would like to do is carve out as much space in the cavern as possible.

What I mean by this, is making a ton of rooms, with access 'hatches' bridges, what have you. Id personally like him to do this by himself if at all possible, but if not that would be fine. If you also do not mind, since he will be down there working a lot, can you outfit him with some of the old steel armor? Boots, helm, gauntlets, chain, plate, etc.

If you have any questions, shoot me a message, or if the project isn't feasible, I will think of something else.

Ninja Edit: Forgot to say, all of this after everything with hell is done of course.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: July 07, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

Well, I've been mostly missing for a while, but glad to see Towersoared still going strong.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

The greatest DF I've ever seen. I've been reading this for months and months and months. Keep up the good work and keep inspiring the DF Community!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: July 07, 2012, 08:48:12 pm »

As a little experiment, maybe you could take down the stats of dwarfs(just choose them at random) now, then see what they are when all is said and done(assuming they're still alive). Then we can comment on the feasibility of a HFS training program 8)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: July 07, 2012, 08:50:29 pm »

Colonize hell, funnel new demons into a gigantic grid of rooms, then release them in a nearby arena for training purposes?

Seems lacking in challenge somehow.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: July 07, 2012, 08:59:45 pm »

Colonize hell, funnel new demons into a gigantic grid of rooms, then release them in a nearby arena for training purposes?

do they even need training?

Prometheusmfd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: July 07, 2012, 09:19:46 pm »

do they even need training?

Only if Derm can't take on the clowns.
I just googled that phrase and found nothing. Congratulations, those three words in that order have never been typed into the googleable internet before! Until now.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:17 pm »

The Battle for the Adamantine – Part 3

The mob of 6 demons entered and began fighting the melee squad.  The fight disintegrated into several small battles as they tried to push the enemy back.  But one by one, the demons were being inured mortally and were falling.  Most of the military at the front had one or two demon kills now.  Derm was up to three kills himself now.  Each of these demons was at least as strong as the cave beasts, which was highly impressive.

Then a shout from Thatdude over in the Marksdwarf area.  “Watch out, we’ve got fire and steam demons incoming! 

Spoiler: Boiling Fiend (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Flame Phantom (click to show/hide)

“And the biggest mob of demons I’ve seen yet!” 

“Focuse all arrows on the fire phantoms!” Derm shouted.  Thatdude shouted right back, “We’ll try but it’s a huge mob!  It’s nearly impossible to get a clear shot on a specific demon!” 

Derm considered.  If these demons were anything like the flame beasts in the caves, one death, even one hit from a sword within a few meters would incinerate the military squad in an instant.  Derm suspected they would be since he had always privately believed the forgotten beasts were demons who had escaped from hell. 

In all these years, they had never found a defense against fire beasts.  Without the marksdwarves taking on those fights, many more military dwarves would be in the graveyard now rather than here fighting off the forces of hell.  The entire battle would end just like that.  The demons were about to walk under one of the massive deadfall trap.  If they triggered it, the archers would be able to kill the demons at their leisure through the other set of fortifications but doing this would effectively end the melee dwarf participation in the fight.  Certainly not the end of the world considering how effectively they’d killed the demons so far.  Towersoared's strength against the forces of hell was pretty much proven at this point. 

What to do?  Derm had to decide fast. 

OOC:  All right, I’ve saved it and put it on pause for now.  The massive mob of demons with the guaranteed fatal fire phantoms is about to walk under one of my massive block traps.  Using that, I could crush a huge number of them and cut off the fight.  At least one of the boiling fiends already made it through so we might lose part of the military anyhow since fire/heat damage is totally unavoidable and absolutely fatal in this version.  I've never seen a dwarf survive fire damage for more than a few minutes. 

Here's the tactical situation to date: so far we've taken down 17 of the demons, most by the melee dwarves.  There are at least 86 left in the initial wave.  I had to count that twice to make sure; at least it explains why the game's fps drops to zero when we crack open the adamantine.  Of those 86 demons, 21 of them are capable of flash frying any dwarf nearby just by the act of being fought and killed.  I don't know that for sure I'll admit but I don't see any reason why they'd be different from every other fire based monster, seems like a pretty standard trait to me.  Especially since the archers took out a boiling fiend and it exploded in to a ball of steam. 

I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether I should drop the stone or not.  My instinct says, if I want the fortress to live on effectively, we drop the block, squash a bunch of demons and let the archers mop it up.  I still plan to see how long Derm can survive solo after this is all over.  I can also back this moment up and we can do a thought experiment later on whether I’m too conservative with these fights.  :-)

Granted, it’s that conservative approach that’s kept so many dwarves alive for so many years and I’m reluctant to abandon that approach now.  There are still plenty of opportunities for dwarves to die when I build the stairway to hell (yes that is going to happen!).   As it stands right now, my biggest frustration with the game is the archers won’t change targets until the current one is dead.  So I can’t get them to focus their fire on the fire demons to try and pick them off before they kill the melee squads.  If I could do that, I'd be a lot less reluctant to let things play out.

Anyhow, let me know what you think!  I can always try to move the bravest (suicidal) melee volunteers forward and if they die I can still drop the block.  It's a dangerously narrow window of opportunity though. 

@Comp112: It's all good, this project has been hard to keep up due to RL issues of late.  Entering hell is intended to be the “grand finale” to the fortress, though I might keep working on it afterwards if the fps improves once the clowns are taken care of.  One way or another, I’ve got to give this story a solid finish. :-)  I’ll see what I can do to get Comp started since he can work while the battle is on the go. 

I’ll start by expanding near your existing area.  Equipping you with steel shouldn’t be a problem at all, although miners get a bit twitchy when equipped as military members in this version.  I’ll give it a shot though; it would be nice if he was geared up a bit. 

@Scaraban: Glad we’re still on the go as well, it’s been a long haul.

@codyorr: Thanks very much!

@wsoxfan: I can actually do one better.  I’ve got a pre-invasion save game that I’ll use to pull up a random selection of military stats as a before metric.  We’ll see who survives for the after portion.

@dermonster: Indeed, though it might be a challenge for the non-military dwarves that have to do the construction.

@assasin: As evidenced by the end result of Derm the Soulchopper’s obsessive training, dwarves can never train too much!

@Prometheusmfd: We shall see what we shall see!  I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:01 pm »

Do it, drop the block and let the demons die where they stand.

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: July 11, 2012, 12:59:08 pm »

If the fort somehow survives, can I have a dwarf? Preferably a mason that is obsessed with Derm? And builds a multi z-level statue of Derm to live inside? With a shrine to Derm built in?

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: July 11, 2012, 03:45:36 pm »

Drop the stone. If the traps aren't used now, then it ends now. If there are non-flame ones at the front, I'd let the military take them.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 118