Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293208 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1290 on: August 20, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

Or add the [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] tag to platinum.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: August 23, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Obsidian, 322

Well just when I thought the year was going to end completely uneventfully a goblin siege arrived at our walls.  The military is on the job! 

Oh, and a kobold siege as well just to keep things really entertaining. 

Events of the 14th of Obsidian, 322

Derm was one of the first to engage the enemy in this siege.  He was rusty from such a quiet year but his blade quickly tore into the goblin flesh.  They fell like sand after a windstorm.  Before he knew it, 6 goblins had fallen before him and his squad had taken care of the reest.

Garet, master of weapons was getting talented with his sword.  He was close behind Derm for the first battle and four goblins were easily taken down.  He had a minor close call from a goblin hammer lord but it was taken down easily by the other soldiers.

There was no way Monty was missing this battle.  Several had passed by but this one was hers.  Heads flew at the slice of the sword and three kobolds were already credited to her.  She followed close behind Derm.  He might fall and Towersoared with him, but today would not be that day.  She gathered herself together as Derm shouted the orders to advance on the trolls.

Bennet’s speed almost got the better of him today.  He found himself among a large squad of Trolls alone.  He found himself stunned and being pushed around by the beasts.   Sadly, just as the rest of his squad arrived to aid him, he was pushed into the moat by the beasts.  He rested for a moment and stood up.  He was uninjured but the fight would be over by the time he returned. 

Thor was late to the party but he still arrived in time to cave in some goblin skulls.  His platinum hammer caved helmets and skulls with equal ease.  The battle raged around him but it was good!  The blood and body parts flying about belonged to goblins not dwarves.  And there were still more trolls nearby!   

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Obsidian, 322

The sieges were easily broken by our military.  The number of kills amassed was quite impressive as well:

Derm: 22
Thor: 8
Sturist: 13
Lars: 5
Monty: 7
Bennet: 17
Garet: 9
Rashem: 13

The only tragedy to report is the death of two of Omen’s animal guardians.  They got caught by a couple kobolds and were slaughtered.  To add insult to injury, Omen didn’t’ manage to get any kills either.  I’ll have to speak with him later to ask if he wants to train new helpers.

OOC: it wasn’t a terribly hard siege, so I’m just giving you a taste of what the various dwarves were up to. 

@kisame12794: That would be awesome.  It’s a shame the game isn’t good about recognizing truly legendary achievements such as single handedly killing forgotten beasts.

@Urist Imiknorris: Good point, I never thought about it that way.  I still have trouble believing how stable this fortress is.  Also, your solution to the crossbow problem is exactly what I did. 

@dermonster: Indeed, that is also true.  Although unlikely.  Derm is only 77 years old after all!

@Hugo_The_Dwarf: Interesting approach although it’s not actually necessary for this task.  In fact, the only necessity is adding the [ITEMS_WEAPON_RANGED] tag to the metal as suggested by Urist Imiknorris. 

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 23, 2011, 03:23:19 pm »

Say... Could Balta Enlist with the Fortress Guards by any chance? It's a good stepping stone to the Army after all. (Once a prosition opens up of course.)
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: August 23, 2011, 04:37:44 pm »

question:
does any of the millatery have any familys/children?
may make htings more interesting if we had the great warriors and their sons.
Derm II anyone?

no one said it had to be this derm that fell along with the fortress. their was a mention of a derm, but not specified.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 23, 2011, 04:40:17 pm »

Currently I am an aloof machine of death with no real personal ties to the fortress.

Makes one wonder, really.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 23, 2011, 06:21:26 pm »

There can only be one...
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 26, 2011, 11:03:05 am »

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Obsidian, 322

Today I had new reports of monsters in the third cave level.  Something never before seen in our fortress.  Creeping Eyes. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I sent Catten down to take care of it since she missed out on the siege.  They don’t appear to be dangerous but I don’t intend to take any chances.  I know Derm headed down shortly after her, I’m sure he’ll pick up a kill or two as well.

Balta also requested assignment to the fortress guard, a request I am happy to fulfill.  I’m sure Syntic can use an extra pair of hands to help out. 

Events of the 28th of Obsidian, 322

Cog again steps up on the dais to speak.  “My fellow dwarves!  I’ll keep this short and sweet since it’s been such a hard year.  As you can all see, the greatest project of Towersoared is now half complete.  The north dining hall stained glass mural is done!

Spoiler: The Mural (click to show/hide)

“It has been a long time coming, a vision that has been in the works for over 15 years!  And now we start on the south wall!  Sadly due to the busy work of the last few weeks of this month, I was unable to produce my usual artistic renderings of the completed west wall and other projects around the fortress, but I plan to provide those early in the next week.”

“Despite those delays, I have brought the usual architectural drawings, fortress ledger and the updated project list.  As always if I missed something please let me know!  The ledger is particularly exciting this year as our fortress has surpassed 24 million urists in value!  If nothing else, that is worth celebrating! 

Spoiler: The Ledger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The List (click to show/hide)

OOC: And thus ends 322 with the completion of the north and west murals in the dining hall.  And sadly no visualizers that can render the glass windows properly but I crafted a overview from screenshots taken from the map archive.  I’ll be creating some stonesense renderings over the weekend but since I can ask, are there any parts of the fortress that interest you specifically?  Anything you want to see in 3D?  I plan to create a copy of the north wall mural and golden bowl at the very least.  The water for that will be turned on later this year! 

@Balta: Consider it done!

@Karakzon: The entire military is completely detached from fortress life.  They do nothing but train day in and day out which somehow doesn’t lead to relationships forming.  I’d have to relieve them from duty for a while and lock them in the room with eligible single dwarves to have a hope of seeing relationships I think. 

@dermonster: I’m not sure I want to think about what might go though Derm’s mind!  Certainly, I would have to remove him from the military and lock him in a room with an unattached female dwarf to have any hope of getting him in a relationship. 

@kisame12794: Indeed! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:27:32 pm by Battlecat »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 26, 2011, 11:07:29 am »

Excellent year as always. *Clapping sounds*

And I'd like a 3d shot of the entire surface.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 26, 2011, 02:56:29 pm »

I think your doing a fantastic job Battlecat.

However I am slightly confused by the mural, is it a vertical one? and that picture is just showing off all the glass. Or is it horizontal? or some combination of the two?

Otherwise i'm very impressed :)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:56 pm »

That is a side view.

EDIT: I want to say that we can acquire nine more pieces of adamantine from the deposit in the northeast corner of the map, but I won't be 100% certain until we can see the shape of the level below it (or I do some Science regarding adamantine geometry).

EDIT2: Yeah, there are nine thirteen more pieces for the taking:

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:41:43 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 26, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

Hey new year. Yay! Huzzah. Did Syntic's relationships change at all on his year of vacation or did the experiment fail? Either way he should go back to doing anything and everything again.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 26, 2011, 09:36:26 pm »

I say we make prepartions to breach hell, Deathgate style.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Deamonpies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 27, 2011, 05:24:52 am »

Ah thank you Urist.

Now it makes more sense.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 28, 2011, 08:43:10 am »

As derm said, I'd like to see the surface of the map. Also, a shot from the double helix starway to the trade depot from a dwarf's eye view. That main hall looks very nice. Also, same thing from the bottom of the dining hall. Maybe the end opposite the huge golden bowl. Finally, I want to see how the military tower is shaping up. That looks badass from the map archive.

Anyway, congrats on a new year, even if it wasn't that exciting.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:07 am »

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Granite, 323

Today I finished preparing a series of drawings of our home.  Time is pressing so I didn’t manage to create everything that was asked for, but I hope everyone is satisfied with the results.

First we have a dwarf’s eye drawing of the dining hall looking toward the golden bowl.

And this is the Golden Bowl and mural as seen from a different angle. 

This one is a bird’s eye view of the military tower.

This is the construction site for our inner gates.  There is still a lot of work to do here.

Finally, since I won’t have a chance to do a full surface view of the fortress, I’ve created a drawing of the dining hall corridor from the main helix stairway all the way to the dining hall stairway!

I wish I had more, but I really need to get back to things.  It’s a busy year ahead! 

OOC: Sadly, the problems I’ve been having with the 3D images are due to the absence of complete renderers.  The full map render in stonesense doesn’t work right now and Overseer only recognizes about a third of the textures and tends to crash unexpectedly.  Sadly I didn’t manage to fill all the requests but I hope what I did include will do the trick until some updated visualizers are released.  I hope we see some movement when the next release of dwarf fortress comes out. 

Rough day ahead but I’ll try to get another update prepped for tomorrow or Wednesday. 

@dermonster: Sadly, with the absence of the stonesense full screen shot tool, I don’t have a way to make a good looking shot.  As soon as the tool is available rest assured I’ll generate it!

@Deamonpies: Indeed that is a vertical view of the grand dining hall.  The shot is a composite of screenshots from the map archive.  There is a poi on the archive for the source view.

@Urist Imiknorris: I think you’re right, but I’ll double check by fully exploring the level below to make sure on both pipes.

@Syntic: I believe it may have had some impact on your relationships. 

@mcclay: Preparations are slowly underway but I’m not rushing to it.  I’m mildly concerned about the potential fps hit. 

@Thatdude:  I managed to generate one of your two dwarf eye views.  Sadly, the one from the double helix to the trade depot is completely meaningless with the current rendering tools since magma doesn’t show up and neither do any statues or buildings.  But I’ve got the one of the dining hall and I included a composite of the entire dining hall and industrial hall from stonesense. 
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 118