Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293210 times)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1245 on: July 13, 2011, 02:42:41 pm »

send Derm to Hell and then colonize its remains.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 13, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »

send Derm to Hell and then colonize its remains.
its too early
we need obsidiancrusher 3000 first
I am a Goober.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 13, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

Where does the ramp go? If it's often traveled, statues might do nicely to fill in the holes.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 14, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

Depending on what you mean by "dead fall trap" it may not work, all demons can fly, even ones without wings.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »

Ahras:journal: huh a thief you dont see them every day around here.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: July 15, 2011, 10:43:11 am »

Indri's Journal:

Weaving weaving weaving I'm a weaving machine! Machine I tell you! Life is so good here, booze, food, champions to keep us safe and glorious, glorious silk! It's too bad there are ancient dwarfen laws against giant silken banners hanging from the ceilings of great halls. How awesome would that be in the new dining hall? Well, it will never happen. All because the Torch Throwing Contest of year 64 got out of control back at the Mountainhome. This is why we can't have nice things, diary!

OOC: Indri can dream, can't he?
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 15, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »

I would suggest that you apply several large, possibly sequential, cave-in bombs if you plan to breach the HFS. I'd recommend a design like so:

z0
╔══╝+╚══╗
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
╚══╗+╔══╝

z1
╔═══════╗
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
║+++++++║
╚═══════╝

z2
╔═══════╗
║       ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║       ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║       ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║       ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║       ║
╚═══════╝

z3
╔═══════╗
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║   I   ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║   I   ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║   I   ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║   I   ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
╚═══════╝

z4
╔═══════╗
║       ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║ ▓▓▓▓▓ ║
║       ║
╚═══════╝

z5
╔═══════╗
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║   I   ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
║       ║
╚═══════╝

with z-2 being the inverse of z2 (floors instead of rock, walls instead of open space) and z-1 being an inverse of z4. Then, assuming the demons are coming from the north, drop the bottom slabs in order from north to south (to land in the spaces allotted for them on z-2, opening up z-1 [which won't save them if they try to go down there]), and if there are still targets left, drop the big one, which will neatly fill z-1.

Then the army would clean up any survivors, which are likely to be wounded to some degree.

Problem *WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* *WHAM* *BOOM* Solved.

EDIT: Sorry for wall of schematics.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:01:24 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 19, 2011, 10:19:02 am »

OOC: Sorry there's no update today and probably won't be for a couple more days yet.  The last few days have been busier than I expected and I haven't even had time to fire the game up.  I didn't want to leave you all hanging, so here are some replies to your comments the last couple of days. 

@mcclay: Sounds like a bit of a plan.  Going to have to take care, I don't want the fortress to fall as a result.

@magmaholic: Exactly my plan, right now I'm just laying the preparatory groundwork. 

@Triaxx2: It goes nowhere.  I don't think a single dwarf has walked on it since I carved it out.  It's pretty much just a visual feature in the dining hall.

@Scaraban: By deadfall trap I mean dropping large slabs of ceiling down onto them.  Rocks Fall, everybody dies.  :)

@Ahra: Indeed we don't.  It's been a few years in fact.

@Indricotherium: He can indeed.  I certainly like the way you think!

@Urist Imiknorris: Nice, that's almost exactly what I was designing.  With the additional characteristic of setting it up as an obsidian factory so I can recast large slabs that will seal up the entrance point.  That will let me repeatedly cut off the invasion until the normally overwhelming flood of demons is eliminated. 

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 19, 2011, 08:35:08 pm »

Ah. Truly our fortress is mighty, for we can afford to have a stair case to nowhere.

And in reply to the question, which I missed three updates ago now, a Scourge is perfectly fine. Knowing what it is, it's far better than a simple whip at... encouragement.

HFS is one of the frontiers I've never breached.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 20, 2011, 03:30:08 am »

is their room at the top of the staircase to no-were to have a big glass ball on the top?
give it to a noble as a room or make a statue garden -encrusted with gems- in it. :)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 20, 2011, 01:47:04 pm »

Ooh, water fountain! Pump water up and around, and run it down in a beautiful water fall to improve the epicness of our epic dining room.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 21, 2011, 12:22:16 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Galena, 322

The human caravan arrived in our area today.  I have dispatached Derm and his squad to meet them, particularly since we’re just barely staying ahead in the booze department.  I wouldn’t be a dwarf if this wasn’t a worry for me.

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Galena, 322

A beast has arrived the first cave level.  It is a beast of grime and filth that apparently has webs.  Have fun Derm. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To delay the beast’s arrival so we can evacuate the cave, I’m having the security bridges closed.  Hopefully that will slow it down a bit.

Events of the 18th of Galena, 322

Derm quickly made his way down the stairs.  He’d been woken up to the sounds of shouts about a forgotten beast.  He had grabbed his gear and charged for the first cave level as quickly as he could.  As he made his way down the stairs, several other dwarves fleeing from the beast passed him.  But it hadn’t followed them into the fortress which was good. 

There was the beast, lurking near the entrance gate to the fortress.  It saw him at the same moment and charged.  The two collided and the beast’s superior mass sent Derm flying as usual.  Derm dodged and weaved for a few moments and then took one swing with his axe.  That swing collided with the beast’s head. 

The beast dropped dead.  Number 14 hadn’t even put up a fight. 

Cog’s Journal, 25th of Galena, 322

Trading is done for the year.  This year we got lots of food, booze and plants from the human caravan.  300 units of booze puts us up to 1300 units in stock.  We’re just barely holding stable, the new planters are still getting accustomed to their new assignment. 

OOC: Nothing exciting but successful trading and a forgotten beast easily flattened. 

@Karakzon: Sadly there isn’t really room up there.  The stairs are pretty much just decorative.  Which works fine by me. 

@Triaxx2: Actually, the waterfall is going at the other end of the dining hall where the golden bowl is.  I’ll have more on that at the end of the year.  Things are coming along quite nicely. 

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 21, 2011, 01:47:48 pm »

Indri hears something from a panicked dwarf running past and his head perks up, "Webs? Another Web Weaving Wonderbeast?"

A smile begins to creep across his face when suddenly, "Oh no, Oh no! Derm! I must get there, I must!"

Heaving himself away from the loom Indri runs as quick as he can trying to get to the cavern entrance. He hears some sort of snorting collision from just up ahead and turns the corner shouting, "No! Derm! Webs! Just crip-", and sees the creatures head bounce past him to roll up against a wall, "-ple it... so we can... harvest the... oh, no. Oh another priceless chance gone...".

He stares sadly at the clouded eyes of the fabulous creature as Derm strolls past, cleaning his axeblade on his sleeve. "No worries, weaver, you're safe!", booms the champion over his shoulder.

There is a quiet moment, then Indri mutters to the head, "Whoever said 'when all you have is an axe, everything looks like a neck' undoubtedly knew someone like him."

Sighing, Indri turns away to head back to his loom again.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 21, 2011, 05:35:46 pm »

hmmmm.

could have a single tile colum danging a small room or such that the stairs have  a bridge to.

sorry ^^ being creative. :P i like planning and designing.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 25, 2011, 01:03:57 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Galena, 322

Today was rather amusing.  A Kobold sneaking into our fortress found himself in the military training barracks right in front of one of the squads.  He screamed in terror when he realized where he was.  Naturally he didn’t last long.  My only big concern about this is rather than thieves tools he was carrying a large sack, the kind normally used by goblins to snatch children.  Have the kobolds started on this practice as well now?

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Limestone, 322

The need to hook up some new facilities to levers arose today, and with that came the realization that we’ve actually used all the levers in the second control room.  A small third one is being established and I’ll be getting the miners to carve out a fourth large room at the dining hall level shortly.  It’s a good thing all these controls are labeled or we would be in real trouble. 

Events of the 8th of Limestone, 322

Abyss was somewhat melancholy of late.  He had long since achieve the status as a legendary glass maker and the number of glass windows, blocks and tubes he had produced was amazing.  But of late there had been little need for his skills, overproduction being what it was.  Abyss found his mind wandering.

Then suddenly a thought struck like lightning.  He began to run out of the meeting hall, mentally making notes.  It would be glorious, but he had to make it now, before inspiration moved on. 

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Limestone, 322

Today the sounds of boiling water could be clearly heard in the third cave level.  The first of our pumps began operation to start converting the lake around one of the adamantine spires into obsidian.  It will take some time to complete the project but once complete we’ll be able to carefully begin exploratory mining below the caves to see how deep this spire goes.  With the most absolute care possible of course. 

Cog’s Journal, 24th of Limestone, 322

After so many years, you’d think the creativity of our dwarves would begin to falter.  That has yet to be the case, today Abyss our talented glass maker brought an exquisite scepter into my office.  It is decorated in everything from spider silk to diamond.  The finest detail on the drawing is in gold, showing the defeat of a goblin by one of our many talented military dwarves. 

At 135,600 Urists, it is a sight to behold!

OOC: Quietly ticking through the year.  Not a huge amount of excitement lately, but construction continues efficiently! 

@Indricotherium: Ahhh, the dreams of forgotten beast silk.  It’s a real shame the silly creatures never actually use that ability. 

@Karakzon: That’s a possibility.  I’ll have to ponder it I’m not really certain what to do with it.  I may have to tweak the design slightly in the future.  Don’t apologize for creative ideas; they are always appreciated even if they don’t quite fit the plans! 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:21:33 pm by Battlecat »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 118