Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293214 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #1230 on: July 05, 2011, 10:07:50 pm »

I always found taking a shot as I drew breath to work better. No idea why.

BC: So far I've got one fort that's gone that long without dying, or having to be reclaimed because of lack of food.

And I can't even punch through the Aquifer there.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: July 07, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Slate, 322

The seventh son of Vucar and Asmel came of age today.  I handed him a hoe and asked him to start helping with our growing shortage of plants to brew.  Asmel and Vucar now have 8 grown children living in our fortress. 

Rashem the Heron-Marked apparently shattered his arm during the recent siege.  I’m confident he’ll make a full recovery. 

Cog’s Journal, 9th of Slate, 322

In preparation for the next phase of work on the outer walls, I’ve ordered excavation on the inner moat to begin.  There are also some sundry little tasks being taken care of associated with preparation for beginning to start building the wall.  Hopefully in the next month or two we can get started. 

Cog’s Journal, 26th of Slate, 322

Preparation work for finishing the ground floor of the double helix is beginning today.  A channel is being installed to catch water from the future water feature from the ceiling.  Once this is done and the dining hall wall is done we can begin work on this and on Dragonshardz’s skylight. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Soon.  It just takes so long!

Cog’s Journal, 6th of Felsite, 322

It was a rather comic thing to see.  Ezum Nethzuglar our Clerk/Engraver trapped up on the rim of the golden bowl shouting for help.  He had managed to wall himself in on the wrong side. 

I finally had to shout at him to remove the wall and replace it on the right side this time.  I really don’t know how he could have thought it was a good idea. 

Cog’s Journal, 13th of Felsite, 322

A new beast has arrived in the second cave level. 

A poisonous bite isn’t really a worry.  Derm hasn’t been hurt by a forgotten beast yet.  There’s no reason why he would start today.

An ominous turn of events, apparently Sibrek Oddomshetbeth has been secretly working on a teterahedrite coffin. 

It is a gorgeous creation, but it makes me nervous about what might happen in the depths. 

OOC:  Quiet year but there’s a forgotten beast fight to kick off the next update. 

@Triaxx2: Punching through an aquifier is a massive challenge.  I’m glad there aren’t any here.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:16:27 pm by Battlecat »

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: July 07, 2011, 09:23:01 pm »

Could you post conceptual drawings/descriptions? I need things to draw.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 08, 2011, 07:24:10 am »

I have to admit, I hate trying to punch through Aquifer's, but this is such awesome embark that I'm okay with living like an elf for a while. For the moment I'm working on a kill system, with overhead sprinklers so I can knock out these annoying ambushes. Then I can get back to breaching the Aquifer during the month or so of a freeze.

If I can convince the bloody miners to survive.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 08, 2011, 03:06:19 pm »

I just spent the last 6 hours reading every post in this thread. This place is epic.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 09, 2011, 07:19:58 am »

6 hours? Now that's dedication.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 10, 2011, 11:55:49 pm »

Heh, same here only I split it up over 2 days while playing DF in the background. The epic story helps distract from the year-old bugs. :( I'd like to suggest a mini project. Maybe a bit of a relief with all the mega projects on the table. :) There's a few holes in one of the ramp spirals, they don't look to be used as part of the ramps. It would be cool to floor them over, so no dwarfs would fall to their deaths through them. Not that they would, but it would look nice. That is, if it hasn't been fixed already.

I'd love to see some more Stonesense screenshots too. And maybe some from the other visualizers.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:58:32 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 11, 2011, 10:56:34 am »

Events of the 14th of Felsite, 322

Derm was most of the way down the stairs when he heard the roar of the grizzly bear guarding the entrance to the second cave level.  Apparently the beast had charged straight into the fortress before the gates could be sealed.  Suprisingly he also heard screeches of pain from the forgotten beast.  It sounded like the bear was holding its own.  Then he heard a loud wet thud and then a screech of triumph from the beast.  He redoubled his run down the stairs.

He ran down the corridor to see the dead grizzly bear.  But no beast.  Then he heard some loud crashes through the ceiling above.  The beast was in the graveyard.  He ran up the stairs to see it coming out of an unoccupied tomb.  He brandished his axe and charged the beast. 

As he engaged the beast, he heard shouts from upstairs.  “The forgotten beast Stospdab has come to the first cave level! 

He would have to finish this fast.  He hacked at the beast like a tornado, removing limbs rapidly.  The beast took one halfhearted enraged swing at Derm before succumbing to being chopped in half by Duraduker Adol Rafum. 

He ran for the stairs.  Up the stairs and into the first cave level.  He rounded the corner just as the ugly earwig thing was coming down towards the civilized section of cave.  It barely managed to get an attack in.  With a quick twitch of Duraduker, he took off a foot and then a leg.  Three more quick swings and the beast was dead, chopped in two pieces. 

Two more forgotten beasts in a single day!  Numbers 12 and 13 without even breaking a sweat.  What a glorious battle!

OOC:  Go Derm!  Today is an interesting achievement.  Apparently this is the 200th fortress update.  What better way to celebrate than with Derm ripping some more beasts apart. 

@Conan: Did you have anything in particular in mind?  I’ve got all kinds of interesting stuff archived and of course there is an overview shot of the fortress a couple pages back. 

@Triaxx2: Keeping the miners alive is always one of the hardest parts!

@Mono124: That is quite the achievement indeed!  Glad you enjoyed the read!

@Beeskee: Thanks for reading through; there is a lot of material.  I can’t find the holes you are referring to.  Do you know which ramp it is and what floor it’s on? 

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:43 am »

HAPPY 200TH UPDATE EVERYONE! WHO HAS THE PARTY POPPERS? :D

But seriously, I would love to see pictures from stonesense or any visualiser really of the fortress. I wouldn't even mind it if you spent the entire update just giving us pretty pictures and telling us what you are most proud of as well as all the projects suggested by us readers/followers/whatever you want to call us.

But still, good read, good fort, GOOD JOB!

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: July 11, 2011, 12:27:26 pm »

Yeah, congrats on 200! The fort, its inhabitants and especially the designer are amazing. I hope you're having as much fun doing this all as we get from reading it!

:D
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 11, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

*Massive cheering*

It almost seems like the beasts are getting too easy. Might want to start modding something in to keep it fresh.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 11, 2011, 01:20:42 pm »

It took a while to find it again.

Those holes. :D They're on every level of that small spiral ramp.

(Ignore the red marker, I'm talking about the tiny holes in the ramp itself, not asking you to floor over the dining room hehe.)

Edit: If this is a stylistic choice, ignore my suggestion. But there seems to be some irregularity in the ramps too, on level 149.

To keep combat interesting, you may want to give other dwarfs a chance to fight the forgotten beasts. Of course, it's pure awesome watching Derm go DISMANTLE every enemy he faces. It was interesting to send him alone against all those things, but let's face it, at this point he's just not likely to die from combat unless it's poison vapors that insta-rot dwarfs or he dodges into lava. :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:31:00 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

automaton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »

muffintoast's diary:

wow, just wow.
derm did it again. i just heard he chopped up 2 of those cave monsters in less then 5 minutes.
this guy is starting to scare me a little.

in other news, i've been training alot with my blocking and dodging, and im getting more used to the weight of the shields.
i think i even lost some weight myself.

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: July 12, 2011, 05:24:43 pm »

Happy 200th Update!!! Who ho!

Edit: Nominates Cog for Saint of architcure.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:24:12 pm by Paaaad »
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 13, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 16th of Felsite, 322

The Elven caravan has arrived in spite of this spring siege!  While some dwarves have always complained about the Elves, they’ve traded with us honestly and they’ll certainly have some materials to help us boost our booze supplies.  The best part is, they haven’t sent a diplomat in years to whine about our abuse of the mushroom forests below.  And I’m certainly not planning on telling them!

Cog’s Journal, 22nd of Felsite, 322

Extra berries, more booze and to top it off some new animals including a pair of cougars.  The elves were very pleased with our interest in the large number of animals they brought.  I didn’t have the heart to tell them they would be heading straight to the butcher’s block.  Except for the cougars, maybe we can finally get a breeding pair. 

Our stock of drinks is back over 1000 units, but I intend to see it over 2 – 3 thousand by the end of the year. 

Cog’s Journal, 2nd of Hematite, 322

Today a Kobold ambush of all things appeared at our gates.  A dog chasing a thief stumbled into them and was struck down.  Incidently, it was the first thief we’ve seen in several years.  Derm and his squad were dispatched and arrived quickly thanks to the new military tower placement. The kobolds were naturally no match for the military. 

Cog’s Journal, 5th of Hematite, 322

Derm has been complaining about the lack of combat challenges in the fortress.  I’ve informed him that I’ll see what I can do.  He always was enthusiastic about exploration.  I’ve got some ideas but they’ll have to be very carefully implemented to avoid risk to the fortress at large. 

On a related topic we are running low on adamantine and have barely equipped a quarter of the military.  Both adamantine spires are in lakes, we’ll have to convert the lakes to obsidian to make it easier for our miners to access and secure the valuable stone.  Another part of that project is securing the adamantine floor sections that remain.  They will be encased in microcline and eventually used for some purpose. 

Cog’s Journal, 7th of Hematite, 322

Work is proceeding well, but I keep getting distracted from designing these pumps by other tasks.  It’s a bloody long way down into the third cave level and there isn’t any way to speed the trip up.  But we’ll be evaporating that lake in no time at all.

OOC:  A slow, quiet couple of months.  But preparations to dig deeper are beginning.  Don’t worry too much, I’ve been pondering how to accomplish this goal safely for quite a few months now.  I’ll be installing a lot of deadfall traps to defend the fortress.

@Thatdude: Thanks kindly!  I’ll try to have a nice batch of pictures for the next end of year update. 

@Indricotherium: Thanks! 

@dermonster: Yeah, I’ve been thinking that. I’ll either boost the goblins another bit, or I’ll try to scrounge up something already in the world. 

@Beeskee: Ahhh, that area.  Yeah, those gaps were intentional and I did mess up the carving of that structure up at the higher levels.  I may go back and fix it in the future.  It’s not like that’s a major travel route thank goodness.  As for Derm, I’ve been pondering the option of dispatching other dwarves.  On the other hand, I’m curious how many he can rack up in a lifetime. 

@automaton: Your dwarf’s training is proceeding nicely. 

@Paaaad: Thanks very much! 
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 118