Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: linux question  (Read 800 times)

kutuzof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
linux question
« on: July 05, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I couldn't really find a better spot.

I'm trying to learn the game and I want to play along to captain ducks tutorials. Is there any way I can get his setup easily running under linux? I've seen the lazy newb pack, and that sounds perfect. Only its only for windows. I'm not very technically skilled.

Thanks for any advice,

eddy the lip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: linux question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »

Easiest might be to run DF under WINE. I had to fuss with various .so files to get it to run native (which I did once, and never bothered to do again.) Now I just run the Windows version with WINE and it works just fine, modulo an FPS hit. Then you can grab the Capt Duck or lazy newb pack and run as-is. Otherwise you'll have to fuss with linuxy stuff as well as copying the appropriate DF files around. Somewhat defeating the purpose of "easy."

How you install WINE and run DF with it varies slightly depending on what distribution you're running. On Ubuntu, you can just open a terminal, type "sudo apt-get install wine" and it will install (it may already be there.) Then navigate to the game directory ("cd /path/to/df/") and run it with "wine Dwarf\ Fortress.exe"

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

I've ran both with WINE and native version without seeing much of a difference in FPS. I had issues with the .so files and stuff in the past but the current version should out of the box. If not go with the WINE solution. Tools like dwarf therapist should work with WINE (it even interfaces with the linux native game) but runesmith I haven't got to work yet. Once I get the linux version of dfhack working, I might make a quick and dirty tool that does what runesmith does, and perhaps also simplies what dwarf therapist does (gets a bit overwhelming with lots of dwarves, and just looking for the right job takes time)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:08:11 pm by keda »

eddy the lip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:04 pm »

I've ran both with WINE and native version without seeing much of a difference in FPS. I had issues with the .so files and stuff in the past but the current version should out of the box. If not go with the WINE solution. Tools like dwarf therapist should work with WINE (it even interfaces with the linux native game) but runesmith I haven't got to work yet. Once I get the linux version of dfhack working, I might make a quick and dirty tool that does what runesmith does, and perhaps also simplies what dwarf therapist does (gets a bit overwhelming with lots of dwarves, and just looking for the right job takes time)

FPS - that's good to know, I wasn't sure if I was missing out on precious, precious frame rate. It was the .03 linux version I last tried - haven't tried more recent native linux builds. My DF time is limited, so fussing isn't high on my list of priorities if something already works.

And I would be most interested in a Q&D tool like that! Dwarf Therapist seemed to work fine under WINE, although I had some font issues I (again) didn't bother to sort.

I am lazier than my dwarves.

kutuzof

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 10:54:33 am »

lol, yeah that sounds good. Unfortunately I've never successfully gotten anything working under WINE. The two things I tried were Warcraft 3 and a Speech-2-Text converter. War 3 worked out ok, but I always had a pretty bad frame rate.

What about any tutorials in general getting graphic packs working under linux? Do most of you use Windows? (or WINE?)

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »

lol, yeah that sounds good. Unfortunately I've never successfully gotten anything working under WINE. The two things I tried were Warcraft 3 and a Speech-2-Text converter. War 3 worked out ok, but I always had a pretty bad frame rate.

What about any tutorials in general getting graphic packs working under linux? Do most of you use Windows? (or WINE?)

WINE runs some things just as well as Windows...and some things it refuses to run at all.  Don't get discouraged because two things didn't work how you wanted.  Remember what you're trying to do (make something work in an environment that's incompatible than the one it was designed for).  Also, I've run DF under WINE.  Worked fine.

For graphics packs under Linux...because graphics/tilesets involve images and text files...they're actually identical under all platforms.  I believe the wiki should have detailed instructions doing it.  If it gives you problems, ask in this thread and we'll be glad to help out.

I run Linux.  Most people here run Windows and it was only during the 40d# series that we got native Linux releases to begin with, so a lot of us have a lot of experience running DF under WINE.  Some run v31.xx under WINE now in order to use Windows utilities.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 02:10:20 pm »

I'm also a linux user.  Although I haven't looked intensively at Duck's tutorial videos, (I'm skimming through the 2010 ones right now) I don't see anything so far why you couldn't run the native version and not have to fiddle with WINE.  The other thing is there have been some pretty significant bug fixes between 31_03 (what he's using in the videos) and 31_08, a lot of which you probably want.

For a quick-and-dirty way of taking his data to work with a linux version of DF, you can unpack the linux version somewhere, unpack his pre-built pack somewhere else, then replace your "data/" and "raw/" directories with the ones from his pack.  You will wind up replacing all your keybindings, game settings, graphics packs, most importantly his savegames along with his pre-generated world, any hacks to the creatures and so forth, without actually replacing the linux binaries.

I'm _pretty_ certain none of the data or raws have changed, at least not significantly, between 31_03 and 31_08 that you would find any roadblocks between his tutorials and what you would be playing, but someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

That'll give you everything he's using from _inside_ the actual game.  Any additional tools he might include you would have to work with WINE somehow.   I'm not trying to sound snotty, but I personally have never felt like I needed any of the outside utilities and honestly think you could play with just his game modifications (tilesets, keys, etc) and skip over anything he might cover of that aspect and not miss much.

Then once you are good at playing the game you can start with a fresh unpack (if you should so desire) and mod it yourself to customize to your own specialities.  It's really very easy, once you know where all the files are and what they do - everything is just text files.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 08:51:43 pm »

I'm also a linux user.  Although I haven't looked intensively at Duck's tutorial videos, (I'm skimming through the 2010 ones right now) I don't see anything so far why you couldn't run the native version and not have to fiddle with WINE.  The other thing is there have been some pretty significant bug fixes between 31_03 (what he's using in the videos) and 31_08, a lot of which you probably want.

For a quick-and-dirty way of taking his data to work with a linux version of DF, you can unpack the linux version somewhere, unpack his pre-built pack somewhere else, then replace your "data/" and "raw/" directories with the ones from his pack.  You will wind up replacing all your keybindings, game settings, graphics packs, most importantly his savegames along with his pre-generated world, any hacks to the creatures and so forth, without actually replacing the linux binaries.

I'm _pretty_ certain none of the data or raws have changed, at least not significantly, between 31_03 and 31_08 that you would find any roadblocks between his tutorials and what you would be playing, but someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

That'll give you everything he's using from _inside_ the actual game.  Any additional tools he might include you would have to work with WINE somehow.   I'm not trying to sound snotty, but I personally have never felt like I needed any of the outside utilities and honestly think you could play with just his game modifications (tilesets, keys, etc) and skip over anything he might cover of that aspect and not miss much.

Then once you are good at playing the game you can start with a fresh unpack (if you should so desire) and mod it yourself to customize to your own specialities.  It's really very easy, once you know where all the files are and what they do - everything is just text files.

If you want to use the Windows utilities, you'll have to run everything (DF & utilities) in WINE.  The memory locations between different ports of the same version can be expected to be different.  Naturally, you can't expect a Windows utility to come with the Linux memory locations.  On the plus side, the only utility that you'll probably find critical is Dwarf Therapist...which has a native Linux release.  Not sure if it's been updated for v31.08, though.  Last I checked, the latest Linux release was for v31.06, but Chmod may have updated it by now.

As for the idea of copying everything from Duck's release...don't do it.  I'm not certain if the raws have changed, but don't doubt it.  They may have changed and if they have, it'll be enough to crash the program.  Copy only the save file.  Because of how DF handles it's external files (namely, making them a large number of plain text files), I'm thinking save files should be just as compatible between ports as anything else and all v31.xx saves should be compatible with one another.  The raws probably weren't messed with for this tutorial (though I'll be honest, I've never looked at it), but if they were, all save files in v31.xx come with a copy of the raws as they were at the time of worldgen.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the Linux raws to run the tutorial.  If duck modified the raws for a tutorial, he's an idiot...which I strongly doubt.  You'll have to play with the init files and graphics.  I strongly recommend you do it yourself.  It'll be good for you to learn to do it when you realize you want to change graphics or upgrade to a newer version of DF...and you will once you become more comfortable with the game.

Also, as a Linux user...get used to doing things technically.  I know you said you aren't technically inclined, but you'll need to become so to run Linux.  Really, only Ubuntu lets you get away with not being technical...and even there, it's actually easier to do some things from the command line than with a GUI.  Again, if you need help with that, ask.  Just make sure it's a DF related question if you want it on this board.