Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS, caged animals and atom-smashing.  (Read 476 times)

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS, caged animals and atom-smashing.
« on: July 05, 2010, 07:21:55 am »

Soon after I started my fort I put a cage in the corner of my dining room and put ALL my animals in it. Now about 8 years later my FPS is dying so I need to take some measures to try and get it up again. I'm going to vaporise a bunch of rock by changing the raws temporarily. I also have about 100 animals (more?) in this one cage now, somehow they still managed to multiply, so I want to kill a bunch of them. I don't want to move every single one, one at a time to somewhere that I can kill them, I just want to remove the ones to save (single breeding pair of each I guess) and smash the cage in place. Unless there is a way to move this cage with all the creatures still in it? So what is the best way to do this? I have heard of atom-smashing, and I understand it as basically crushing things under a bridge. But you can't actually build on the land that a raising bridge is built on, so how do you do the smashing?
I was thinking to make the roof collapse on the cage, but will that actually atom-smash it or just kill everything and leave a giant bloody mess of parts from 100 animals?

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: FPS, caged animals and atom-smashing.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 09:12:22 am »

It would also help to designate traffic. IIRC you press d and o to get to the traffics screen.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 09:28:10 am »

If you deconstruct the cage, then dump it to underneath an atom smasher, that'll do what you want.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:56 am »

Awesome thanks, that was the tip I was looking for. I just hope this isn't a troll, and I deconstruct the cage and 200 animals explode out into my dining room like a furry nuclear bomb :D

I have already designated traffic zones, but apparently this can make things worse as well as better. I might try removing them all again.

Aristoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 10:23:05 am »

Do animals in cages hurt FPS?

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:47 am »

No it's not a troll. Creatures can be inside unconstructed cages; haven't you ever made cage traps and watch goblins get caged and then hauled to an animal stockpile?
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.