Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with building workshops and furnaces  (Read 541 times)

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with building workshops and furnaces
« on: July 05, 2010, 04:37:55 am »

I mined out some shale, and i want to build a wood furnace. However, it's not offering me the choice to build with it. I'm sure that it's not reserved or forbidden or anything, and that it's accessible. I also ordered a rock table, and it said i needed a non-economic rock. I checked the wiki page on shale and it says that it can be used in masonry and construction, so what's up?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:45:14 am by RCIX »
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with building workshops and furnaces
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 05:22:13 am »

I mined out some shale, and i want to build a wood furnace. However, it's not offering me the choice to build with it. I'm sure that it's not reserved or forbidden or anything, and that it's accessible. I also ordered a rock table, and it said i needed a non-economic rock. I checked the wiki page on shale and it says that it can be used in masonry and construction, so what's up?
I'm sure it's usable by default, but did you happen to change it to being an economic stone in your stocks menu?

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 05:45:51 am »

Are you sure it's accessible? Try building the furnace right next to it.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 06:47:24 pm »

Are you sure it's accessible? Try building the furnace right next to it.

Quite sure. I tried to give some construction orders at the same time my miner was mining in that area, and they failed. I'll try it anyway.

I'm sure it's usable by default, but did you happen to change it to being an economic stone in your stocks menu?
I'll check that as soon as i can. I doubt that happened though, seeing as i didn't know how to get to it till just now :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 06:51:22 pm by RCIX »
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »

Hmm... Did your miner accidentally break access behind him as he was digging? Were you using any ramps?

Try to build a wall in a tile where there's currently already some shale.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 07:34:07 pm »

* Stocks: i have no clue how to see if a rock is non-economic. Help? :)
 * Building a furnace/wall down with my shale: odd, now it offers it. *facepalm* i think i built my ramps wrong. Whoops, thanks!

In any case i'm do-overing that fortress as i screwed it up. Thanks for the help :)