Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249405 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #345 on: May 12, 2008, 05:26:00 am »

Vactor: please zip up and mail your 3dwarf-related data to mithaldu@yahoo.de

I'll have a look to see what's going wrong.  :)

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 12, 2008, 02:26:00 pm »

Rondol, I hate to do this, but..

Have you seen this thread?

Canyon Engineering Challenge

火族

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 13, 2008, 09:16:00 pm »

Actually, it seems that i figured out the problem, it would seem that running DF with administrator privileges prevents 3Dwarf from accessing what it needs to read. Disabling it cleared the problem right up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 14, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

A bit late to the party, but just wanted to say just how impressed I am by this whole program.

Although it has pointed out to me that my Dwarven Whaling Station looks entirely too much like Yavin Base.

*sigh*

Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 14, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »

I'm having the same problem as QMarx, where it runs way too slow, but I get it worse than him.  The display can lock up for very, very long times.

I'm on a 2Ghz laptop with an integrated ATI RADEON XPress 1100, if it matters.

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Aggiedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 18, 2008, 02:19:00 am »

I love this tool! Easy to run and fun to look at.   :) I hope you continue to develope it with more detail like doors and colors.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 22, 2008, 01:06:59 am »

3Dwarf is really awesome, especially on the map I've been working on now. (Though looking through my fortress makes me appreciate just how much "evil genious" there is to my design...)

However, three flaws most glaring strike out immideately. They should not be too difficult to fix, I think, in a future version.

1: 3Dwarf does not recognize roads. Thus, it shows great tracts of sandy loam where there should be roads of wood, bauxite, basalt and alunite.
2: 3Dwarf does not recognize bridges. This is especially disconcerting, given the number of 'holes' in the landscape I plugged by the expediant of a bridge rather than [F]looring over them.
3: 3Dwarf does not handle diagonal entrances. This means most of my living quarters you wouldn't see if you didn't know they were there.

Other things that got me were that some forms of smoothed stone rendered as wooden walls. Not especially onerous, just noticable. Either way, it's a great tool, especially for looking into the magma pipe. :)

Nate879

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 03, 2008, 12:06:18 pm »

The ramps in my fortress don't look right. I built a tower with ramps every 2 floors. I wanted the ramps to look like they do in pyramids, but instead they did this:

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who don''t.<P>The ultimate fate of the universe.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 03, 2008, 12:49:59 pm »

Maybe because the ramps cant path to anywhere

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 03, 2008, 01:59:06 pm »

Maybe because the ramps cant path to anywhere
Correct.  I've found with ramps that you have to have a flat surface (or another ramp) above and to one of the sides (including diagonal) of the area you place your ramp.  If you had made it more like a pyramid with the ramps leading up to other ramps (one floor) then it would render right.  As it is though, 3Dwarf emulates what DF would interpret those ramps as.  3Dwarf makes a good visual as to why a ramp in game might not be working as intended as well.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #355 on: July 08, 2008, 08:35:52 am »

That still looks pretty neat, though.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

bergotronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 08, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »

I'm having the same problem as QMarx, where it runs way too slow, but I get it worse than him.  The display can lock up for very, very long times.<P>I'm on a 2Ghz laptop with an integrated ATI RADEON XPress 1100, if it matters.

I had a similiar problem but when I updated to the newest video card drivers it worked fine. I was using a desktop machine with a Radeon X1950 though....

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #357 on: July 08, 2008, 03:44:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My current fort, which I am striving to create largely aboveground.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 10, 2008, 09:26:41 am »

Nice fort there. Must've been a good embarking position. Was there a island from the begging or did you give natur... err... RNG a hand?

I like to build small houses with dining rooms, bed rooms and, where needed, offices for my dwarfs. Usually I get lazy half way through and throw everyone into the barrack.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 10, 2008, 10:30:02 am »

Nice fort there. Must've been a good embarking position. Was there a island from the begging or did you give natur... err... RNG a hand?

I like to build small houses with dining rooms, bed rooms and, where needed, offices for my dwarfs. Usually I get lazy half way through and throw everyone into the barrack.
Where do you see an "island" here?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 50