Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249395 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #615 on: March 20, 2009, 11:45:58 am »

Quote from: Crossroads Inc
Has anyone else actually been working on new Megaprojects? this thread seems to have suffored a lack of EPIC recently.

I've been working on a fortress, but it's nothing spectacular.  Every time somebody posts something like THAT *points to post above* it's intimidating as hell, because my poor attempts would look pathetic underneath that.

These are fortresses made to be looked at. Such fortresses are not designed for normal fortress activities.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 20, 2009, 12:25:46 pm »

Let's see if this works. I have two shots of my current fortress, Clockworks. Unlike some other forts, this one is meant to be seen and is also a fully functioning fortress that will soon welcome my first King.

First is an eagle's eye view of the fortress built into the 3 sided canyon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the second is a shot from my temporary dyer's shop. Looking past the center column at the Duchess' villa, eastern fortress walls, and the northern peak beyond.
-Images fixed.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:16:59 pm by Coaldiamond »

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2009, 03:26:36 pm »

I can only see the thumbnail of your fortresses, Coaldiamond.  Even if I click on the picture, I only see a 160x120 .png file.  I don't think that was what you were going for.

(edit)  Ahh, that's much better.  I wish I had a machine that could play in areas like that.  Oh, what I could do with 70 z-levels...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:26:53 pm by Bromor Neckbeard »

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:10 pm »

So they were. Thank you for the heads-up. Images above are now fixed.

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 21, 2009, 01:51:33 am »

Quote from: Crossroads Inc
Has anyone else actually been working on new Megaprojects? this thread seems to have suffored a lack of EPIC recently.

I've been working on a fortress, but it's nothing spectacular.  Every time somebody posts something like THAT *points to post above* it's intimidating as hell, because my poor attempts would look pathetic underneath that.

These are fortresses made to be looked at. Such fortresses are not designed for normal fortress activities.

This is so true.

Neurovore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 21, 2009, 04:54:59 pm »

I would like to present my current project (mini-mega... neat but not EPIC)

Lightlance!

The fort is built on the plateau of a mountain.
Map advantages:
  • abundant iron and coal
  • natural waterfall
  • adjacent non-mountain biome for farming and forest

Disadvantages:
  • building on the top of a mountain limits potential z-layers for upward construction
  • no flux - all steel is traded
  • no magma
  • no HFS (at least to my knowledge)

Viewpoints:
Overview shot
The shallow large buildings on the right are the statue garden and well. The smaller rooms on the bottom are zoos. The small upper rooms are trash compactors (a necessary evil). The midsize biulding attached to the wall is my barracks. You can see a trap gauntlet extending to the left.

Street view (from trade depot)
The ziggaraut on the right is where my artifacts (and a masterwork, decorated dragon skull totem) are kept. Made entirely out of cow tallow soap. To the left is my cathedral / throne room.

Inside throne room

Tombs, beds
Larger bedrooms are for nobles and legendaries. In the distance you can see the natural channel for the brook. All dwarves walk through waterfall mist to get to their bedrooms. Not efficient, but effective.
Oddly enough, the brook above the waterfall flows faster than the brook below the waterfall. I caught this early in the game and installed floodgates to prevent cataclysmic flooding.

Distance view
This is what trading caravans see approaching lightlance

This fortress is fully alive and functional in all ways, so there are only a few miners and masons. This view is shown after 11 years of construction. Entire seasons of building time have been lost cleaning up after sieges, but to date I have only lost 5 dwarves (2 sparring accidents, 3 caught by ambushes). Several hundred goblins and a dragon (and a human caravan - trading during a siege? not the brightest maneuver) have fallen to champions and traps.
DF - because the only way to properly raise a dwarven infant is by carrying it into battle in lieu of a shield.

zzzdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 30, 2009, 12:56:24 pm »

Anyone happen to know this one utility similiar to 3Dwarf?
I forgot the name, so I can't seem to find it.
It is a 3D visualizer for dwarf fortress, but it was realtime and had some little features to edit in-game stuff (can't remember what exactly).
It had a nice interface, easy to use.
It ran along side 40d, and it didn't appear to cause much lag.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 30, 2009, 01:09:12 pm »

Anyone happen to know this one utility similiar to 3Dwarf?
I forgot the name, so I can't seem to find it.
It is a 3D visualizer for dwarf fortress, but it was realtime and had some little features to edit in-game stuff (can't remember what exactly).
It had a nice interface, easy to use.
It ran along side 40d, and it didn't appear to cause much lag.

Lifevis by Mithaldu. (download link)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:58 pm »

I would like to congratualte Neurovore on his recent progect,.. He shows yo ucan make thinsg nice nifty and cool wihtout having to be SUPER EPIC as some of the other things we've seen here have beeen ;) It is intimatadating when you see things like the bridges or mega fortresses that the more godly have posted...

There are nifty things we mortals can contribuate as well...

To those building, I think we might place too much on EPICness, everyone hsould be able to post thier fortress, epic or no./
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 31, 2009, 10:50:19 am »

I would like to congratualte Neurovore on his recent project

Seconded.  Lightlance is way cooler than anything I've ever built, and it is aesthetically appealing.  That's exactly the type of thing I come to these threads for.

Hal Nicholas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:06 am »

I see that the graphics in the visualizer is a little lacking. I would like to make some 3d models to better enhance what it looks like. What format are the models in, and I'll crank out things like beds, barrels, shops, and the like so the fortresses don't look so barren.

Emperor Iones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 05, 2009, 06:43:03 pm »

Any chance of you making this work with 40d11? I'd love being able to see my fort...

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #627 on: April 06, 2009, 01:38:04 am »

My lil project, a dwarf city completely above ground built out of obsidian, named Roofdwelling

The city:

The Stadium:

View of a contestant entering the arena level of the stadium:

Not as cool as Neurovore's, but I'm still workin at it...
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 06, 2009, 04:13:44 am »

When building a fort for 3dwarf, please try and include supports. RE: your stadium; desperately needs some support columns.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #629 on: April 06, 2009, 11:18:01 am »

When building a fort for 3dwarf, please try and include supports. RE: your stadium; desperately needs some support columns.

it's definitely still a work in progress. This is my first 'themed' fort, and learning as I go. And after I found 3dwarf, gives a whole new aspect on how to build a fortress just to look good.
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50