Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249358 times)

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #585 on: February 22, 2009, 09:28:27 pm »

Find the creature_standard.txt in the raw\objects folder, and paste [SPEED:1] somewhere after [CREATURE:DWARF]. You will not have to regenerate your world.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2009, 09:05:36 pm »

Does it work with 40d?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:36 pm »

Does it work with 40d?
Not any of the 40dx versions, though, because apparently the code it used to extract the map changed, and 3Dwarf devs are too busy working on LifeVis to care about updating 3Dwarf until next big release.
And apparently, Companion and all 3rd party tools are broken as well..
But yes, it will work with regular 40d.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:09 am »

Well, there's no point in updating all the utilities because in all likelihood, all the changes Toady is making for the next release will just break everything again.  I just hope the 3Dwarf gets updated quickly so we can get some nice screen shots of the new underground features.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 25, 2009, 05:28:38 pm »

Well, there's no point in updating all the utilities because in all likelihood, all the changes Toady is making for the next release will just break everything again.  I just hope the 3Dwarf gets updated quickly so we can get some nice screen shots of the new underground features.
Well, see, that's the response we always get.
1) We DO know the next release will 100% break them.  Toady has stated that as fact.  However..
2) We do NOT know when the next release will come.  It could be next week (99.9% chance of not happening) or it could be next year.

I seriously doubt it'd take so long to update them that there wouldn't be a point, if anyone actually TRIED it.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nice ****in' model! Honk! Honk!
« Reply #590 on: February 26, 2009, 03:04:35 pm »

Hey, I'd like to make a request.  Sinoth, Mithaldu, whoever it is that would do this sort of thing, if and when you get around to updating 3Dwarf, I'd like a way to set "spatial hotkeys" that work similar to the hotkeys in DF.  This would store the current coordinates and focus of the camera so that you could later put the camera in the exact same place.

I like to take seasonal or yearly snapshots of developing fortresses so that I can show my friends how my fortress grows through the years.  Now, I can get the camera in approximately the same space by hand, but I lack the precision to get it perfect.  If we could save the camera position, it would be possible to make an animation out of our fortresses' growth.

For that matter, I'd like a screenshot function.  Sure, I can just use Fraps or press "Print Screen" and paste it in Paint, but I'd like a way to create screenshots that didn't involve me running 3Dwarf over and over again for each shot, especially since I take a dozen shots and only use the best one.  (Or is there a screenshot function and I just missed that part?)

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nice ****in' model! Honk! Honk!
« Reply #591 on: February 26, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »

For that matter, I'd like a screenshot function.  Sure, I can just use Fraps or press "Print Screen" and paste it in Paint, but I'd like a way to create screenshots that didn't involve me running 3Dwarf over and over again for each shot, especially since I take a dozen shots and only use the best one.  (Or is there a screenshot function and I just missed that part?)

Windows has a perfectly good screenshot function. alt+printscreen takes a snapshot of your current window. Paste into any image program capable of handling layers, and you greatly reduce the workload (IE, you don't need to make a new document, paste, and then save. You can just create one new, layered, document and paste them all into that. Each new paste should create it's own layer). IIRC paint.net does this just fine. Photoshop is over kill ^^

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Nice ****in' model! Honk! Honk!
« Reply #592 on: February 26, 2009, 05:11:36 pm »

Photoshop is over kill ^^
Never.
Only if your computer is too crappy to handle it.
As long as your computer can run it, there's absolutely no reason not to use Photoshop.
Not like it takes months to start up unless your computer is a decade old.

Photoshop is ready to work in less then ten seconds for me.  Comparatively, Paint.net takes much longer.
Funnily enough, the same thing happens with Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org.  Go figure.

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I admit it, I am lazy.
« Reply #593 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:09 pm »

Quote from: Sinergistic
Windows has a perfectly good screenshot function. alt+printscreen takes a snapshot of your current window.

Yes, as I said, my current screenshot method is just pressing printscreen and pasting it in Paint, but I'd rather just press one single key and have 3Dwarf create a .jpg in my DF directory or something, rather than a bunch of switching between windows and whatnot.

Also, my computer IS kind of crappy (CS3 takes nearly 30 seconds to load up for me) so I don't use Photoshop for my DF needs.  All I'm gonna do with a 3Dwarf screenshot is save it and MAYBE resize it, so I don't need Photoshop for that, plus trying to run Photoshop and DF at the same time makes my processor tantrum and my RAM go on break.

(edit to avoid double posting)

Okay, I've just come across a bug in 3Dwarf.  I just spent an hour reading the entire topic, and I don't see anybody else complaining about this.

I just started a new fort, and when I embarked, I wanted to take a screenshot of the area so that I can see precisely how much environmental damage I cause as my fort develops.  However, it seems that 3Dwarf isn't displaying certain textures AT ALL.  My area is a 4x4, partially badlands and partially grassland, but only the sand is showing up.  The silt, which makes up most of my area, doesn't show up at all.

I've witnessed this before, but never on such a scale.  According to 3Dwarf, my future fortress site is a bunch of tiny rocks floating in an infinite void.  I tried compatibility mode and it makes no difference.  I'm running this on a Pentium 4 and a GeForce FX 5600 with the latest drivers.  Also, I'm still running 40d (unmodded except for using Mayday's graphics and the catfix), and the existence of 3Dwarf is why I have not yet upgraded to 40d9.

Here's what my embark area looks like in the game:

And here's what 3Dwarf shows:

If either of you guys (Sinoth or Mithaldu) wants my region folder, I'll send it to you or do whatever else is necessary, but I don't want to waste my time and your inbox space if you guys are holding off on any fixes until the next version of DF comes out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:25:31 pm by Bromor Neckbeard »

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I admit it, I am lazy.
« Reply #594 on: February 27, 2009, 01:42:17 am »

Quote from: Sinergistic
Windows has a perfectly good screenshot function. alt+printscreen takes a snapshot of your current window.

Yes, as I said, my current screenshot method is just pressing printscreen and pasting it in Paint, but I'd rather just press one single key and have 3Dwarf create a .jpg in my DF directory or something, rather than a bunch of switching between windows and whatnot.

Also, my computer IS kind of crappy (CS3 takes nearly 30 seconds to load up for me) so I don't use Photoshop for my DF needs.  All I'm gonna do with a 3Dwarf screenshot is save it and MAYBE resize it, so I don't need Photoshop for that, plus trying to run Photoshop and DF at the same time makes my processor tantrum and my RAM go on break.

Just to make sure.

And, in regards to a screenshot feature, don't make it .jpeg.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #595 on: March 12, 2009, 02:47:17 am »

I have created an update for 3Dwarf (_04f), which you may get here:

http://75.127.91.201/~jifodus/df/3dwarf_04f_update.zip

Special note to Vista users: Read the readme. The map_extract.pl update alone may not work, you must follow the one-step direction inside the readme.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #596 on: March 12, 2009, 06:20:51 am »

Hi!

Is there a source code somewhere for this? I basically need the memory hacking (map info reading) part because I would like to see this in CryEngine2 or UnrealEngine3.. ;) I would also gladly provide a few very nice models for usage here (currently in Google SketchUp format but can be exported to others, too).

Greetings!
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »

Has anyone else actually been working on new Megaprojects? this thread seems to have suffored a lack of EPIC recently.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »

Has anyone else actually been working on new Megaprojects? this thread seems to have suffored a lack of EPIC recently.
There's only so much mega my poor fingers can handle.  My problem is that I tend to build in non-square shapes which makes the interface get in the way of my creations.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 16, 2009, 07:37:27 pm »

I'm still looking for information on what tiles in-game look like what in the map editor.  Do stone walls look like constructions?  How about obsidian?  I know soil looks different, but that's not very useful.  Is there any way to make your construction obviously be multiple stone types?

With that information I could work on a project...
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 50