Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249379 times)

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2009, 08:23:40 am »

As far as I am informed, and I may be wrong here, the creator of 3Dwarf quite simply lost the will to keep working on it.

I still have the will to keep mine going, but am stalled for two reasons: 1. Real Life stuff. 2. Waiting for Jifodus to figure out the offsets for the newest versions.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:32 pm »

there's also no real point making the game compatible with the d'n' releases (well, it doesn't work for me on 40d7), as the save compat changes in the next version will most likely require a rewrite anyways.

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #527 on: January 17, 2009, 07:34:09 pm »

As far as I am informed, and I may be wrong here, the creator of 3Dwarf quite simply lost the will to keep working on it.
2.0 is in the works, but it's on hold right now while I learn some better rendering techniques.  No ETA at the moment though.  Definitely looking forward to more progress on yours, Mithaldu :)
[i do not regret]

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 18, 2009, 04:39:34 am »

Oooh, that's awesome to hear! :D

zzzdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 19, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »

3Dwarf doesn't like me. Give's me an error saying that dorf fort isn't running. Might it be because I am playing on the latest developer version (40d9)?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 19, 2009, 06:09:26 pm »

3Dwarf doesn't like me. Give's me an error saying that dorf fort isn't running. Might it be because I am playing on the latest developer version (40d9)?

Yeah, the memory offsets for 40d9 aren't available yet, meaning 3Dwarf can't figure out where to look for the map data.  You can open a 40d9 save in 40d, though.

Great Sun God

• Bay Watcher
  • AAAAAAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 26, 2009, 09:41:13 pm »

i've found 3dwarf great for writing 50ft tall threatening messages to any goblins wanting to seige my fortress

Works great on Persians as well.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: January 28, 2009, 01:29:16 pm »

That's friggin awesome.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 29, 2009, 08:52:18 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble getting 3Dwarf to work. Whether it's the current version or the version the first post says should work, 181_39e, I keep getting all these error messages when trying to run map_extract.bat:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The DF savegame is running, i'm in the esc menu, but it still wont work  :(

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 30, 2009, 10:19:49 am »

I'm having a bit of trouble getting 3Dwarf to work. Whether it's the current version or the version the first post says should work, 181_39e, I keep getting all these error messages when trying to run map_extract.bat:

Has it worked for you before? Because those are perl compiler errors. Looks like the script's corupted. Try downloading a fresh copy.

And yes, that sparta sign is cool. Your 'r' looks a little odd, but the idea is awesome. Next time, translate it into dwarven/goblin/etc. before you build it so the DF creatures might understand! :D
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 30, 2009, 02:30:26 pm »

Has it worked for you before? Because those are perl compiler errors. Looks like the script's corupted. Try downloading a fresh copy.

No it has never worked before. I tried downloading it again but i'm getting the same errors  :-[.

For kicks I tried running map_extract.bet with DF not even running and I get the same error messages. It's like it doesnt even recognize DF. Does map_extract or any of the 3dwarf files need to be in a specific folder or something for it to work?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:11 pm »

No it has never worked before. I tried downloading it again but i'm getting the same errors  :-[.

For kicks I tried running map_extract.bet with DF not even running and I get the same error messages. It's like it doesnt even recognize DF. Does map_extract or any of the 3dwarf files need to be in a specific folder or something for it to work?
DF needs to be running to extract the map, but the folder it's in doesn't matter.  It scans system memory to get the data by looking for specific process IDs.  Are you in Windows XP 32-bit?  Are you running in a guest account? (just guessing, not sure if it matters)

The errors you are getting look like you have a bad version of the perl compiler, it's trying to run it in something besides perl or something along that note...
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 30, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »

Yes I'm using XP. And I don't really know what perl is  :-[.

SolarShado:

Wait, did you mean try downloading 3dwarf again or this perl thing?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 30, 2009, 10:03:14 pm »

SolarShado:

3dwarf. it comes with perl (it's a programming language/interpreter, try wikipedia for more details) and the necessary other stuff so it's self-contained.

perl geek stuff below:
as a "Novice Perl Programmer", i can definatley say that those are errors from the perl compiler, i'd guess that something's wrong with a library/module include, some function named "croak" hasn't been loaded. it just happens that the first time it's used is the line that would tell you that DF can't be found in ram.

minor DF related humor:
i believe there is a "croak" function in the CARP module. (it's been a while since i've used perl, and i've never used that module.) In other words, the trouble may be caused by a problem locating CARP!

EDIT: In other words, I am 99% sure that you have a bad copy of 3Dwarf.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:26:12 pm by SolarShado »
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:47 pm »

SolarShado:

Have you renamed your DF executable at all?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 50