Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249396 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #330 on: April 25, 2008, 12:38:00 am »

Wow. I feel sorry xzzy had too post his undercity just before kaypy posted that wonderful statue. He didn't get enough praise for his great work on the undercity.

Anyway. Amazing work both of you!

But seriously. This game needs either a multiplayer component or better AI that can create similar stuff. Because it's a damn shame there can be just one or two forts per world carrying this kind of architecture. My adventurers get bored quite easily with the dullness of the rest of each world.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

quote:
small note to andir: map_extract is perl.   :D
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 30, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

So if I can't make it display even the prepack maps, it must be assumed something is wrong?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 30, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Devath:
<STRONG>So if I can't make it display even the prepack maps, it must be assumed something is wrong?</STRONG>
Sounds like your gfx card is shitty, do you have ati/nvidia or some intel chipset?

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 30, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

I give you my latest creation....

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Great program! Here's the 3D picture of my current fort.

Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2008, 05:31:00 pm »

Wow. This thread continues to amaze and inspire me. I have to say, if I were to try and imitate anything I've seen here, I'd pick the undercity. I bet it just feels so damn cozy to be running a fortress like that. In fact, this WILL be how I make my next fort. Thank you for your inspiration!!
火族

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

It's such a delight to marvel at the masterworks of craftsdwarfship in this thread.  The undercity and dwarven statue are extraordinarily impressive!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

This will make building my cathedral worthwhile.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>Wow. I feel sorry xzzy had too post his undercity just before kaypy posted that wonderful statue. He didn't get enough praise for his great work on the undercity.</STRONG>

I was gonna say exactly the same.

The undercity is amazing. I think like it the most of all these amazing constructions. Well, Deon's ship and the Tower of Orthanc come reeeeeally close.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 04, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

So, oddly enough, my computer runs the visualizer very slowly... unless I press F1, which brings it up to a completely smooth framerate.  The screen occasionally (every 1-2 seconds) shows a single frame of the help menu, but otherwise there are no graphical issues.  Turning the help menu off again brings back the sluggish behavior.  Weird.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 04, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

I can't compete.  The most impressive thing I ever made was an elevated highway to protect my traders from the horrors of half-inch high ocean waves.  It would be dwarfed(ha!) by all the other stuff here.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 05, 2008, 06:59:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>Wow. I feel sorry xzzy had too post his undercity just before kaypy posted that wonderful statue. He didn't get enough praise for his great work on the undercity.</STRONG>

I did kinda feel bad about that, but that was when I finished it...

Sorry, xzzy!

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2008, 07:48:00 pm »

I've suddenly run into trouble running 3Dwarf, it had been working fine, but suddenly it started giving me this when i do a map extract:

and this when i try map extract nohidden:

I've tried fresh installs of 3Dwarf, different directories, all with the same results.  It worked properly with a different install of DF, so I'll probably try transfering all of my saves over to a new install

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 08, 2008, 12:28:00 am »

There's a fort I've been wanting to build for a while. Unfortunately I simply lack the patience required to really get anywhere in fortress mode. Perhaps someone who is a little more... adept will be inspired by this idea and do it, however?

The basic idea starts with a canyon. Preferably a wide one. A cliff could also work, though I like the canyon better personally. On the top level of the canyon a bridge is built across, then a platform, then a full-on castle (complete with farming area if possible, I imagine some water could be routed up for irrigation though). Once finished (or perhaps during initial construction) a tower of artificial supports is built up from the bottom of the canyon to the bottom of the bridge-castle. Once this is complete (and stairs removed to prevent access from the bottom) the permanent bridges to the castle are removed and replaced with drawbridges. The final touch to this castle is a lever. Positioning is up to the builder, but I would put it behind the throne of the highest-ranking noble. This lever is linked to the bottommost support. It is the self-destruct button.

If this is built... you MUST record and upload the collapse. It'd be too awesome to keep to yourself.  :D

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50