Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50

Author Topic: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D  (Read 249377 times)

HOTMACHINA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3Dwarf Visualizer - a tool to view maps in 3D
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2007, 05:57:00 am »

Works great, thanks!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2007, 06:23:00 am »

Flows!

Fantastic!

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2007, 03:15:00 pm »

new version is a lot faster! plus changing z-slice works on my intrnl keyboard!

i was fiddling with doing some seamless tiling textures ...ran in to some problems, i.e cant get it to tile properly :P.
when i tile the texture in ps its perfectly seamless. yet 'in game' there is some weird offset..

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

There are some spots on the map where, when I move the camera over them, seem to cause the rendering to go crazy.  The geometry all leaps up to engulf the camera.  When I move away, the view returns to normal.  Has anyone else seen this effect?

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dyze:
<STRONG>i was fiddling with doing some seamless tiling textures ...ran in to some problems, i.e cant get it to tile properly :P.
when i tile the texture in ps its perfectly seamless. yet 'in game' there is some weird offset..</STRONG>

Because of the mipmapping, I had to only take the inside of each texture, cutting off the border.  This is because when openGL creates the different detail levels, the textures start blending together since I shoved them all into one file.  To get around this, either turn mipmapping off in config.txt, or turn mipmapping off in the program then hit SHIFT+F8 to reload the textures.

I'd love to see some alternate textures  :D  The ones I'm using now were just the first thing I could find after google image searching "grass" "tree" etc.  They could definitely use some improvement.

quote:
Originally posted by Quintin Stone:
<STRONG>There are some spots on the map where, when I move the camera over them, seem to cause the rendering to go crazy.  The geometry all leaps up to engulf the camera.  When I move away, the view returns to normal.  Has anyone else seen this effect?</STRONG>

:eek:  If you can, see if you can consistently reproduce the error, then send me the save for it.  A screenshot might help too... I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

[i do not regret]

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2007, 07:09:00 pm »

thanks, got it to tile without mipmaps!
shift+f8 doesnt seem to do anything over here, the load screen comes up quickly, but no updated textures.
im using the hi-res ones, but that shouldnt matter right?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2007, 08:46:00 pm »

I also have the problem with the garbled graphics at particular locations.
However I don't know how to put screenshots on this board and I would likely need to give you my entire Dwarf Fortress folder with all the little mini mods I made for a save. (I put what they are in the readme but neglected to mention where exactly they are in the files...and kinda forgot myself...)

If it helps anything it looks like the camera suddenly drops 2 z-levels, then starts spamming the render with what should be hidden terrain that just keeps rendering closer and closer until you can't see anything.

Takes about 2 seconds to happen and the camera can move freely when it happens. (but doesn't look like it is, the viewpoint doesn't change til you leave the area) When it leaves that area(tile?) everything is fine, go back to that area and it messes up again all over.

Edit: Little bit more detail. Hope this helps in any way, this thing is still awesome. Oh and I got an ATI Radeon 9250 with the best omega drivers available for it.

[ December 30, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2007, 08:59:00 pm »

greiger, just press alt-prinscreen and paste into an image editor, host it on imageshack or whatever.

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2007, 09:01:00 pm »

Not sure this matters, but what kind of angle are you looking at when this happens?  Is it random, or always when you're looking straight down?
[i do not regret]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2007, 11:52:00 pm »

Ok imageshack seems to hate me (keeps timing out while uploading) so I used a diffrent site.  I hope I do this right.

Before
  :D http://www.mediafire.com/?4lf930emtvb

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Rob Allen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2007, 12:16:00 am »

I could see something like this working in game in a "dungeon keeper" sort of way. Though I think it would have to be an external app.  DF is an ascii game and always will be.  A graphical client might be interesting for people who are into 3d, but it would have to remain a 3rd party app.

There are obvious benefits to 3d, of course.  For one, it makes z-axis planning easier.  It's also really cool.  Isometric adventure mode might also be fun, something like Falcon's Eye maybe...

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2007, 08:45:00 am »

Greiger, what graphics card do you have?  Do you have the latest drivers?
Maybe theres a bug with the drivers you have on your card?

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Note: this thing rapes your system and graphics card ram. There's no chance in hell it'll support *weird* hardware, which means anything that's old, mobile, or does not run with the most up-to-date stock drivers.  ;)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

It's an ATI Radeon 9250 with The best Omega drivers available for it.  Yes it's old, and I figured that would be the cause, but since someone else reported it I figured maybe it's not the card and may be something else.

I should note that this happened in version 2 as well but didn't report it since I figured it was just the card.

I should also say that I'm not complaining at all.  I get similar problems with other stuff too.(Team Fortress 2, Doom3... and I still play them) I just figured it may be worth reporting. Since someone else had the problem as well.

By the way, Happy New Year!

[ December 31, 2007: Message edited by: Greiger ]

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2007, 01:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mithaldu:
<STRONG>Note: this thing rapes your system and graphics card ram. There's no chance in hell it'll support *weird* hardware, which means anything that's old, mobile, or does not run with the most up-to-date stock drivers.   ;)</STRONG>

It runs on my weak laptop just fine with an Intel integrated card, as well as my friend's GeForce FX5200.  It shouldn't be -too- picky, especially for medium sized maps.

[i do not regret]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 50