Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flooding the entire map?  (Read 2325 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flooding the entire map?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 06:13:37 am »

Oh, oh! Third option: use magma to create an obsidian border for your lake, because the answer to everything is magma  :P

I'm planning to do this to keep a 3 z-level deep pool of magma lava around my megeproject (when it's done), and I have a few questions:
(1) Can this be done on the extreme border of the map?
(2) Will incoming units spawn on the new obsidian wall, or not?
(3) Normally, things can go on brook tiles as if the brook was solid ground. what happens when magma meets a brook?

(1)  Bridges can be built on the extreme edge of the map.  I've heard that magma can flow off of edge tiles in 31.x, so to get obsidian there you'd need to drop water on it as it was flowing off.

(2)  Yes.  Any walkable tile along the edge can spawn creatures.  I had a cougar and a fox spawn on the "roof" of my trap area, and had to build more bridges to block it.

(3)  Obsidian happens.  As noted in a couple of posts above, brook tiles act like grates, and let liquids flow through.

Something new I learned today, if you've breached the caverns when you block off most of the surface edges creatures will spawn in the caverns instead of on the surface.  They're cavern creatures, not surface creatures.  I haven't had anything new spawn on the surface for almost a year, and I certainly didn't deplete the wildlife.  But I keep seeing groups of troglodytes moving in and out of the first cavern.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 06:25:13 am »

Something new I learned today, if you've breached the caverns when you block off most of the surface edges creatures will spawn in the caverns instead of on the surface.  They're cavern creatures, not surface creatures.  I haven't had anything new spawn on the surface for almost a year, and I certainly didn't deplete the wildlife.  But I keep seeing groups of troglodytes moving in and out of the first cavern.

And what about traders, invaders and migrants?
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 01:01:37 pm »

And what about traders, invaders and migrants?

Caravans will LEAVE through the caverns, or so I've heard, but I don't know about the rest.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 04:22:19 am »

I'm pretty sure that the only way invaders, caravans, and migrants will enter is through the original ground level of the edges. Not sure what happens if you wall everything off though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 04:38:53 pm »

Something worth noting: 1/7 water above other levels of water will eventually evaporate as of 0.31. Yet to be fixed. This means you don't just have to make sure the pumps are strong enough to fill one level up to 2/7 and higher before it begins to evaporate, but that they are strong enough for every level.
Pages: 1 [2]