Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ...It is a great replica of a mules arse studed with fine shit that menaces...  (Read 1647 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

Seriously. What am I suposed to do with all those artifacts!? How can I build or use them!?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile

Artifact furniture can be built. Other than that, they're all worthless. This is why I never ever build a craftsdwarf's shop.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos

Artifact furniture can be built. Other than that, they're all worthless. This is why I never ever build a craftsdwarf's shop.
So you should use the provided option [ARTIFACTS:NO] in the init. No worrying about shells and glass-purchasing and bars of stone then.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Snukkems

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You say that until you find that artifact shield in adventure mode.

A diamond and oak shield encrusted with diamonds, with spikes of diamond?   Hell. Yes.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't you sell off an artifact and buy out a dwarf caravan with lots of expensive stuff on it?
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff

You can't sell artifacts.

The main benefit of artifacts IMHO is that producing one will usually result in a dwarf instantly becoming legendary in a skill.  (Except for possession moods, which suck).  Having a weaponsmith or armormaker jump to legendary this way is very nice, as you can now produce masterwork armor or weapons without having to churn out hundreds of practice pieces to level him up first.  Artifact furniture is also very useful for improving that room that your noble isn't happy with.  Artifact crafts are pretty much useless though.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait a sec... I can build those skull floodgates and opal armor racks!? How?

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can't you sell off an artifact and buy out a dwarf caravan with lots of expensive stuff on it?

As Sphalerite said, that won't work, and even if it did it would hardly make much sense since you can produce large amounts of valuable trade goods, using renewable resources, already. I'm talking about prepared meals.

Wait a sec... I can build those skull floodgates and opal armor racks!? How?

Have you even tried it before asking? You can build, as in place, artifact furniture the same way you'd do with the regular stuff.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i'M TALKING ABOUT STUFF THAT WASBUILT IN MOODS! HOW CAN I BUILD THAT? ... please.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Display case!!

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like he said, you build it like you build a normal building. Place a floodgate, and when it asks which one you want to use, select "bone floodgate". Or whatever.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've been given some pretty damn clear responses, so I don't see what the problem is. You can build artifact furniture the same way you'd build regular stuff. Artifact crafts are even more useless than regular crafts, since you can't even sell them; accordingly, you can mod in a display case and place them there, or you could do like most of us, and put up with them being useless. What else do you need to know?

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When building ("b") furniture, "x" will show the extended list of items if your artifact is not showing up in the condensed list. Usually they show up all on their own though, with whatever name they were given. For example, when building armor stands where you have an artifact one, you'll see "mudstone armor stand" and "Erkuzthukzukl the Menacing Badger" or whatever. :)

Things like earrings can't be built directly but you can add the display case mod, or use a custom stockpile set to accept only artifact items.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

or use a custom stockpile set to accept only artifact items.

Exactly. And mine is set to have 0 bins and is in the middle of my main dining hall so all the exquisite yet useless things (though I've forbidden the dresses lest they be taken) are in full view so as to maximize happy thoughts from seeing them.

It is important that your other stockpiles are set to NOT allow artifact items though, otherwise they just head to the pile.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.
Pages: [1] 2