Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [My first big project] Dwarf made lake fortress.  (Read 5607 times)

dweebiechimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[My first big project] Dwarf made lake fortress.
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:31:02 pm »

Hi guys, I have been playing DF for a while now, but am still relatively new at this compared to most of you. I never posed on the forums before, but I have been working on a fortress that I am particularly proud of.

I build my fortress in the middle of a dip in the terrain, dammed up a section and flooded the area. Its probably the first fortress that I am actually proud of. my question to you guys is, what now? I still have a few things to set up as far as administration goes, but nothing too big.

let me hear you're thoughts and suggestions!

here follow the pictars.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

charcharmunro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [My first big project] Dwarf made lake fortress.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:58:57 pm »

I'd say this was awesome if I had any clue how things like these work.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:10:03 pm »

That dam is awesome!  I don't understand what the water source for it is though-- don't see a river?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

dweebiechimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

there is a small river up in the top left corner of the map, i pumped it up 2 Z levels from there and brought it through a tunnel out to where the lake is. the pumps are powered by 2 windmills.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:31:51 pm »

That is very impressive, though, I'd swap the walls out with glass ones. Makes me want to make a huge underwater glass dome or something.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

Looks awesome. especially the fort on the lake, I don't think I've seen that done before.

As for where to go... I would make a new dining hall. The one you have now is sufficient, but it you dug down into the stone, dug out a 50x50 room (immense, to be sure) and then smoothed and engraved it, well, that would keep all your dwarves happy no matter what.

Other than that, you could dig down to the underground.

And there's always the possibility of starting up new industries, or making fancy living quarters for your dwarves.

dweebiechimp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 04:40:49 pm »

ooh yes, maby I will make a grand hall with golden thrones. Turns out my fortress is sat right ontop of a series of gold veins.

That is very impressive, though, I'd swap the walls out with glass ones. Makes me want to make a huge underwater glass dome or something.
Brilliant.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:34:34 pm »

Nicely done! Now just cover the landscape in cage traps, and build an execution tower to drop prisoners into the deepest part of the lake.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »

Hehe very nice. And definately move the great hall to the rock... Or alternatively floor it in gold and replace the walls and furniture with gold as well. And of course decorate the furniture with lots of pretty gems.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 06:14:05 pm »

Wow that's really cool! I wish more people would post cool forts like these.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:56 pm »

Personally, I'd build up rather than dig down. I mean, you've got an island fortress, why not build a giant tower on top?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:26:43 pm »

Personally, I'd build up rather than dig down. I mean, you've got an island fortress, why not build a giant tower on top?

And then throw stuff off of it!
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 07:28:10 pm »

I must admit, you've inspired me to do this on my own map. I'm building my water fortress now, with one noticeable difference- there is a massive drawbridge making up a section of wall on the bottom level.

I think of it as a "kill switch".
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »

I like it!  I made a similar fortress a while back but my artificial lake was not as impressive as yours, although at the flick of a switch the floor of the lake would open up flooding the caverns below with all the water, emptying in seconds due to the pressure.  I have some pics here, hope you don't mind me showing them ;)

Here it is empty:

Then full up, which takes ages at the terrible FPS the fort has now:

I have it on the DF map archive if anyone wants to take a gander, Here
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:47:50 pm by s20dan »

afterthought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 07:52:48 pm »

I also had a similar fort that I dropped when 2010 came out. Also it also had no goblins, boring! My lake was way smaller, but the original terrain was steep so it was quite deep, like 8 or 9 levels. I filled the lake via a giant glass obelisk/pump stack rising out of the middle, and I had a number of cool underwater structures (one cool aspect of artificial lakes is you can do this sort of thing) like glass-walled underwater dining rooms, a murky underwater glass-ceiling cemetery, and wagons coming into the fort had to go through a glass tube on the lake bed. I think I could do it way better a 2nd time.

I'd like to try something similar in 2010 with the caverns & their water. Basically - build out some cool structures under a cavern layer and then flood the hollowed out area around them. You could have tons of indoor ponds using pressure valves and stuff.

And another take on this would  be to carve a really cool river going down a mountainside, pump water to the top and build a fort along your artificial river :P
Pages: [1] 2