Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uhhh, where is the caravan?  (Read 1069 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
Uhhh, where is the caravan?
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:14:03 pm »

I've waited 2 years now for my mountain home to come bearing their trades and their liaison and their small armies of drunks. They haven't arrived. Everyone else has arrived (Including the elves who seem to want wood now just so they have a reason to be pissed off), but not the dwarves. As a matter of fact, the Gobs haven't been appearing either to shove my fortress into the magma sea. What the hell?! I've been waiting for some army to come and wreck shit and destroy my fortress. THe Elves seem to be pacifist (even when half their merchants were killed one season during a goblin ambush, back when I actually got them), the Humans are the only way I can export things right now what with the dwarves being MIA. And now there's no way I can dig into Hell despite there being 4 entrances (Pathfinding issues).

Wait, I just thought of something. Could the lack of dwarven caravans be a result of having my population at its cap? Can this, too, be a bug?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uhhh, where is the caravan?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 03:16:49 pm »

Are you getting immigrants?  It's fairly common now for civilizations to die out during worldgen.  If that happened to the dwarven civs, then you will not get caravans or migrants (except for possibly one migrant wave at the beginning)

To doublecheck, press c and look at the dwarven civilization.  Does it have leaders?  If no, then your civilization is probably dead.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »

Sounds like your parent civ is dead, and sounds like the gobbos died out as well. Have you not recieved immigrants as well? Ninjad lol

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 03:29:59 pm »

No, the civ isn't dead. They have a King, an outpost Liaison, a general, and a diplomat.

The goblin civ has a law giver. I think they're dead.

And again, I said I hit my population cap. I'm not getting any more immigrants.
Quest Complete! 41/31

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 03:33:50 pm »

Sometimes they take a while, it took my dwarven caravan a couple of years to show up which I thought was kinda odd.

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »

They just arrived. They better have a damn good explanation for this.
Quest Complete! 41/31

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

They just arrived. They better have a damn good explanation for this.

This made me chuckle for some reason :P
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:50:17 pm »

Trading does seem to have some timing irregularities.  Once, despite having a flourishing nearby civ, humans just refused to show up to trade at all.  In another fort, they started coming, but only after 2 years had passed.