Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 5366 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Religion
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 05:24:08 pm »

Ah crap, you are right.  Sorry.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

palmtree

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 04:45:13 pm »

Are religions planned to have more than just gods to worship? Like having tenets and all that jazz.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 09:57:46 am »

Everything is planned.
I don't even know why the Suggestion forum is here...
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2008, 01:17:02 pm »

Everything is planned.
Word :)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Force

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »

Everything is planned.
To deepen the possibilities ideas that could be added to improve the stuff that's already in work :)

I personally quite like the idea of heroes and kings having the possibility to become worshipped as gods. There are examples where people got worshipped on that basis (the egyptian pharaoh, or the japanese king for example.
Another interesting thing would be if the priests had powers such as maybe being able to bring back people who have gone insane at personal risk of course  ;D

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 01:13:56 pm »

I thought that gods are planned to be actually deities and not just empty belief systems. gods will actually perform miracles and do other godly things. how will that tie in with all of these gods branching off and new gods being made and old gods dying or being forgotten if these are supposed to be real in the game?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2009, 02:12:41 pm »

I thought that gods are planned to be actually deities and not just empty belief systems. gods will actually perform miracles and do other godly things. how will that tie in with all of these gods branching off and new gods being made and old gods dying or being forgotten if these are supposed to be real in the game?

Try this for some ideason how living gods vs real-world evolution of them

Ghoulz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 02:41:28 am »

It would be interesting to see how different cultures view the real gods. Each culture could have a different outlook on them.

For instance:

Urist McGod is a real god. He has dominion over food and alcohol. He has a son who has dominion over potashes.

Human civilization #1 might call him Oorist McDiety and think he wears a kilt. They don't know that their potash god is his son.

Human civilization #2 might call him Yewrist MacOmnipotent and view him as a fat woman wearing a dress. They think of him as a lesser god, and worship his son much more fervently.

Dwarf civilization #1 might call him by his real name and picture him being a dwarf wearing adamantium armor. They don't believe in the potash god.

All three civilizations are now at odds with each other and conflict is more likely to erupt between them, due to their different interpretations of their god.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:14:08 pm by Ghoulz »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 10:46:46 am »

What's with the quotes?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 11:16:52 am »

Also, there's crop failure associated with it (drought earlier in the year) so famine...
Of course, they might alternately decide the crop failure is because they didn't worship their newly decided-on god sufficiently, and consequentially believe him/her/it to be associated with crops, instead. :-\

edit:...Which may very well lead to bad things if it's a true god and is, in fact, associated with famine.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 08:49:33 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:34 am »

Also i would like to see religios persecution kind of like in rome how christians were killed for hundreds of years and then constantine the emperor had a vision of god and decided that all of romes would now be christian
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?
Pages: 1 [2]