Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The... what liaison?  (Read 893 times)

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
The... what liaison?
« on: July 04, 2010, 02:16:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Er... what? I got a dwarven caravan and... this. A goblin. A goblin diplomat, no less. He's just standing at the edge of the map, not doing anything... I think he's as confused as I am.

e: If I kill it will they send another diplomat? On the up side, he has some REALLY nice clothes, a <<*Iron Crossbow*>>, and several pieces of <<*Random Armor*>> , none of which is small/narrow/whatever.

e2: Well, he finally met with my boss. Standard greeting, and he isn't harming anyone... I've heard of FB diplomats, but never a gobbo diplomat.

Makes me imagine him as something like a slave to the King... Why make a dwarf brave the harsh outside world? Let a goblin do it!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:35:41 pm by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
Re: The... what liaison?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:25:54 pm »

He's either staying at the edge of the map to gather his courage to walk into a fortress full of dwarves who might not know who he is, or else he's really reluctant to explain for the millionth time that no, he's NOT here to steal the children.
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

Well either way I've nicknamed him "Gobbo the Fearless, Diplomat of the Dwarven Halls". I'm amused.

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »

Makes me imagine him as something like a slave to the King... Why make a dwarf brave the harsh outside world? Let a goblin do it!

I was kind of picturing him looking something like this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:07 pm »

Actually, with all that tricked out gear, I'm picturing some kind of prancing dandy of a goblin with "great negotiating skills". And by "great negotiating skills", I mean "a big crossbow".
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »

Notice that your goblin liaison has a Dwarven name. His parents were probably captured by your Dwarven civilization during a battle and integrated into your society - though he may look like a goblin, he would gladly fight other goblins to defend his fellow Dwarves.

This sort of thing is actually quite common - in a 40d fort, my Dwarven civilization had an Elf for a diplomat and several Goblins for priests (the high priest was also originally a Drunk).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:12:53 pm »

And lest we forget, there was an Elven king.

This sort of thing isn't without precedent, and besides, DF Dwarves probably hate Elves a lot more than they hate Goblins.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:51:39 pm »

Except it's my first embark in this world.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »

There is a huge amount of history generated before you embark, in which civilizations are formed, expand, and sometimes die, where mighty beasts rapage through town and fortress, and armies do battle between civilizations. In worldgen combat, a site or civ can be taken over without everyone dying, so most empires are comprised of multiple races. Elves and goblins, being immortal, often rise to positions of power in civs made up of mortal races.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.