Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Give me all your stuff!!!....Wait was that smart!?  (Read 3673 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Give me all your stuff!!!....Wait was that smart!?
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:36:34 am »

My fortress was visited by 2 elf traders, no guards for them. I wanted to trade but they said that "once a tree is n...", oh who gives a s***? They said that we are in poverty and they are rich. So I seized their goods. They instantly left. Was that smart? whats gona happen?

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
Re: Give me all your stuff!!!....Wait was that smart!?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:40 am »

They'll bring you more presents next year. Don't worry about it too much, they won't turn hostile after you do that the first time. Some people even go ahead and cremate the elves in a flood of magmatic doom and they still insist that you buy their cloth.

And yes, that was smart. Very smart.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 10:58:13 am »

Nice. I asked my AWSOMLY armored and armed dwarf to go and kill them bit he cept sitting there. I thouf that mabe then word wont spread.

The elves were weird, they said "Go ahead and take nit, what can we do to stop you?"  :P

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 11:03:30 am »

Nice. I asked my AWSOMLY armored and armed dwarf to go and kill them bit he cept sitting there. I thouf that mabe then word wont spread.

The elves were weird, they said "Go ahead and take nit, what can we do to stop you?"  :P

You cant kill merchants unless they are hostile, I keep offerint hem wood ans seizing evreything and they havnt started a war with me yet, in fact last time they came I caved int he trade depot and killed them all. Not sure what will happen next however.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:41:02 am »

The 'kill' order seems to be more a 'move somewhere near this creature' order. If the creature is hostile then they will attack it but if not then they just stand around.

rodya_mirov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:13:31 pm »

I actually have a set-up for this - a wall around my trade depot and a ceiling, with a pump on top.  If it's elven traders, I seal the door and flood the trade depot / drowning chamber, then drain it once they're all dead.  Works great!  And I keep getting cloth deliveries every year, it's really convenient.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:46:18 pm »

Oh urist you are sooooooo nasty.

No great idea realy. dwarfy!!!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »

I actually have a set-up for this - a wall around my trade depot and a ceiling, with a pump on top.  If it's elven traders, I seal the door and flood the trade depot / drowning chamber, then drain it once they're all dead.  Works great!  And I keep getting cloth deliveries every year, it's really convenient.

What do they think about being traded elf skull totems?  Or do they only care about the damn trees?

"Oh, yes!  My parent's skulls really DO make fine centerpieces!  Do you have any other fine goods for trade?  Wait... did you just try to trade us an (elf-made) Larch Amulet!? TREE BUTCHERING FIEND!  DIE!"
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:18:07 pm »

I have a very simple way of dealing with elves (that I have yet to test...but that's what DF is all about!)

Two trade depots, each capable of being sealed off. Every Spring, let the elves into one Depot, and then seal it off until they starve to death. Continue doing business with humans and dwarves in the other one. Profit!

(By the way, my "real" trade depot is awesome: built of electrum blocks, the surrounding rock nicely engraved, and clear glass windows providing a wonderful view of the volcano)
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

scira

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:38:16 pm »

I was under the impression that they will bring more or less depending on their profit or loss from previous years, which means you will start getting a lot less booze and beasts, and a lot more bins of cloth.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

actually, if I remember correctly, the  awesome animals are lower on their "people like this" list than the cloth. so you want them to hate you, so they sell you "inferior" tame giant eagles.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »

actually, if I remember correctly, the  awesome animals are lower on their "people like this" list than the cloth. so you want them to hate you, so they sell you "inferior" tame giant eagles.
This is right. They bring more cloth when they like you because cloth has the best "value per weight" ratio, if I remember correctly. What this system fails to see is the fact that you cannot send highly trained War Rope Reed Cloth into battle.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

SenorPiquante

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that's Optimus Prime wearing a sombrero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:21:34 pm »

This is right. They bring more cloth when they like you because cloth has the best "value per weight" ratio, if I remember correctly. What this system fails to see is the fact that you cannot send highly trained War Rope Reed Cloth into battle.

*scoff* Maybe YOU can't.  ;D
Twitter: The only place where it is acceptable to say "I noticed that her and I had a lot of the same interests, so I started following her."

The Dwarf Fortress forums: The only place where a discussion of an Elf king who splattered a dragon across a fortress wall with two hammerstrikes can be derailed into the economy crash of 1929.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 08:33:58 pm »

*scoff* Maybe YOU can't.  ;D

They are, of course, subsequently poked full of bloody holes, just like the dwarves who were formerly wearing them.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 02:34:48 am »

You lost me.... So why did they come with no guards?
Pages: [1] 2