Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

To start with, we'll build villages to support a town.  What sort of town should we aim for first?

An eco-friendly manufacturing town.
- 4 (18.2%)
A military watch-tree.
- 7 (31.8%)
A market forest.
- 0 (0%)
An animal sanctuary/warbeast breeding forest.
- 7 (31.8%)
A terraforming mission (colonise inhospitable environment).
- 4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Venturer: A Civilisation Challenge - Elf Forest!  (Read 2811 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Venturer: A Civilisation Challenge
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 01:36:44 am »

Looking like elves, but it's close.  Y'all have about 11 more hours to decide - I'll pick whichever has the highest once I get back from work.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 03:07:00 am »

So if I understand this correctly, you're going to be writing another story to test out a contest idea you want to implement at some later date.

I'll watch this one and see what happens.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 05:00:43 am »

I want to do this too...
Tell me something, with things like Villages and such, are you building on one World Tile but taking different Region Tiles next to them, for example...

The wall would be easy for this example, You pick a World Tile, pick an area in it and go the whole length/width of the region map. Plus maybe a bit more on either side and build your wall there, then next year build another on the next world tile over but on the same 'area' that the first is...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 05:24:20 am »

Awesome idea is awesome.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 10:22:54 am »

I want to do this too...
Tell me something, with things like Villages and such, are you building on one World Tile but taking different Region Tiles next to them, for example...

The wall would be easy for this example, You pick a World Tile, pick an area in it and go the whole length/width of the region map. Plus maybe a bit more on either side and build your wall there, then next year build another on the next world tile over but on the same 'area' that the first is...

What you do is build in a line, reclaim from the edge to make two lines and a corner, build in another line, relcaim from the edge of one of the lines to make a U, build in another line, reclaim one of the last edges to the other last edge, and close the final box. If the enclosed area is small enough, you may want to just embark on the whole thing and use just that, because the game isn't set up so the above efforts will actually help you unless they are on your map...
Meowth! That's right!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 01:05:35 pm »

My initial hope for the walls was to use Nanofort for 1x12 embarks, but it's not updated to 31.08.  I do like the concept, though, so we're likely to see some sort of wall type affair occur for different races.

Looks like we're up for a rousing game of Elf Forest!  Stay tuned for an update tonight.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
Re: Venturer: A Civilisation Challenge - Elf Forest!
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 01:40:41 pm »

I voted the military tree fort. mainly because the elves need to start with some kind of military power if they wish to survive. Besides, the surrounding lands need security first.
Meowth! That's right!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »

I voted war beasts, because that's the most interesting thing about the elves.

And they need war beasts to supplement their pathetic military.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 04:41:31 pm »

Civilisation: The Just Silks
Civ Supplies:  5 Security; 2 Food
Gatherer Camp  -  Riverbend

Concerning the travels of Conibo Ruyavaaslefi, Outpost Liason

By the second year there were those who felt that Islandbrush was too small for our growing numbers.  Amongst these was Alatha Roarthorn, a young acolyte whom the Druid picked out to lead the first band of immigrants.  Her band, the Static Nature, were given instructions to bless the forests north of our capital of Islandbrush within the expanse of the Massive Jungles.  They made camp at the bend of the brook Tongsbasins where it travelled south and west from the Veiled Beak mountains.  After their chosen site, they named their new home Riverbend.

1st Granite, 3

Alatha dug her toes into the soft soil by the brook's edge, feeling the sand curl around her skin.  She could feel the Force here, not as strong as in Islandbrush, but nevertheless she knew that Alino's presence extended to these grounds.  Alatha stood there for a time, feeling the wind caress her golden locks and the sun warm her peach skin, already tanned from the warm climes of Islandbrush.

A soft coughing caught her attention and she turned her bright blue eyes to a short, skinny figure with bright orange hair.  The ginger elf grinned and nodded toward the solitary camel that had dragged their scant provisions forth.

"So are we unpacking yet?" he asked in a quick, halting accent.

"In a minute, old friend," sighed Alatha.  "We do have some time to enjoy the sun, Yemeni."

"Not nearly enough for my liking," chuckled Yemeni, and a dark shadow flickered across his face.  He forced it away.  "One year, the druid said, and we need at least a hundred and fifty Rists of food or the whole venture's bust."

"Such enthusiasm for industry," snickered a mossy-haired elf busy unloading barrels of the potent alcohol smackdown from the decidedly irritable camel.  She dodged a spittoon from the animal and blew a raspberry at it, then winked at Yemeni.  "One would almost think you used to be a dwarf."

"Shut your mouth, Taviti," snapped Yemeni, giving her a black look.

"Indeed," said Alatha.  "Let us leave the past as the past.  After all, we fought for a new world for a reason, did we not?  Now, let us get to unloading.  We should start with the altar and pool."

5th Granite, 3

A human would have looked at their altar and scoffed - an old tree trunk and a deadwood log, flanked by a pair of green saplings.  A human would have expected a great temple of marble, filled with golden statues and its altar draped in silk and finery.  A human would not understand.

Alatha had known the tree whose trunk had died, the bough that had broken.  She had cultivated those saplings from seeds.  They were brought fresh from the fertile soil of Islandbrush and held a spark of Alino within them.  It was by this altar tha the Force would extend to fill this grove, as water would fill a jug.

Alatha rose from the altar, her communion complete - Alino's bond to this place had been strengthened by its construction.  She glanced back to where Yemeni was busy digging another pool in the ground to be filled with water, then blessed by her touch.  Already the first pool was filled and blessed, and she approached it as the others paused in their work to gather and watch.

An oak bough was brought to her, a limb of an old tree that still lived, yet had suffered the brunt of the world's renewal.  Alatha held it reverently, speaking soft words in their native tongue to ease its passing and thank it for its noble sacrifice, then laid it in the pool so tha the gentle breeze would cause the ripples of water to wash over its surface many times.

Time passed, the sun moved in the heavens, and Alatha lifted the bough.  Sunlight glimmered brightly on its golden surface, and she handed it to Yemeni to prepare.

19th Granite, 3

Several idols had now been carved at the altar, worked into a variety of shapes of beast and elf alike.  Alatha picked up the first of the group, a figurine of a bat carved from the golden wood.  She knelt by the pool once again, whispering into the wind.

Alino, o Force that guides us,
All things must die, that life may live again.
But as things die, you hold the promise of renewal.
A rebirth, not as we were before,
But as fresh life, novel and unblemished.
Behold this body, who passed from life,
Who surrendered himself to be born again.
See the dedication wrought into it,
Witness the worth that we bring.
Let your Force flow into this vessel,
Let it live anew.

Alatha lowered the idol into the water and splayed her fingers upon the ground.  She listened with her fingers, feeling the Force's tentative spread, the gentle swell so subtle one could not know it rose from soft whispers to a crescendo until it had already come to pass.  Alatha surrendered herself to the Force and It allowed her to guide it.

The gold flaked away from the idol's surface, dissipating into the crystal clear water until it sparkled like the most coveted of gems and leaving the plain wooden surface beneath.  Then, with infinite slowness, the tiny carved bat spread its wings.  The wings stretched outward, twisting and lengthening even as its feet elongated and thickened into roots.  The sapling stretched and grew until the Force had done its work.  When three hours had passed, a young tree stood in the soft silt of the druid's pool, waiting to be grown into a home.

---

Druidry - providing a renewable source of wood since Ur 3!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:02:31 pm by Iituem »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »

I am sure you would have no problem with me running a Human Civ along side you right...?
This is more cause this has inspired me to play DF fully again. And of late I haven't been able to that much...

What was the Plant Mod you were using again???

EDIT// You know what would be an intersting thing to do. Have someone else play humans and we use the Two civs next to eachother that is to the east. One is by the Ocean, while the other is by the Desert. And then we have our own little wars and such...

Meaning that we take our turns trying to better eachother's military while having to deal with the materials needed to raise that army...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:32:26 pm by Neyvn »
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 01:31:38 am »

I'm not entirely sure that's even possible - it would end up having two alternate histories.  Of course, alternate histories could work out - you'd just have to run them as two separate games.  You could probably take the raws from this game and set up an alt succession.

(I'm being quite greedy here and trying to run this particular game myself, but it'd be plenty fun to watch a succession version develop as well.)

Unless that's what you were suggesting?

Fakedit:  Work now, fort should be finished tonight when I get back.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2010, 06:20:19 pm »

Conibo Ruyavaaslefi, Outpost Liason's Report
Riverbend: Obsidian, Year 3

Riverbend appears to have blossomed quickly and to full effect.  A communal tree group has been nourished and expanded to serve as a central space and stockpile, while individual trees have been apportioned to the settlers.

Stock Take
31   lawnberries
07   oilberries
22   fulberries
13   grailberries
06   dukefruits
07   humpies
11   wumpafruits
26   turpens
15   tolls
07   mullen roots
12   lortas
33   hamfists
09   pummels
13   ruligrass (mill/brew)
23   batches of heather (brew)
16   crumps
07   brettar stems
12   gullen
14   slorts
35   twickerfruits
05   emmons
17   peelifruits
18   chatterfruits
22   kerfluffles
16   puffballs
26   yellowcups
22   muskcaps
18   hobbestools
05   surrars (millable)

Well over the amount requested, and well ahead of schedule.  Future gathering efforts will likely have a somewhat higher requirement.  Still, the resulting boon should provide us with sufficient food in preparation for the Druid's next expedition...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2010, 06:55:44 pm »

So how did you do that Altar thing??? Custom Workshop? If so what did it produce???

My idea is that wars can be held via maths and such. While the pieces are not on the map, we know of them by overlaying each player's map. Thus getting the true image of the world...

The Maths would be something like security and strength of the army thats been produced, though an Army would require 1.5x or so the food while its marching, mounts such as Horses would decrease marching times by half and so on. Do a little RTS Play for the actual combat and we could easily make DF an RTS game to play against others...

For example. If I started the Human Civ over the far East, my first step would to be to build a few Farm then a Woodcutters. This would then lead to a Mine/Quarry then to the Barracks/Smiths After that its rinse and repeat untill I have an army a good size then march them out to your Elves....

You may do how ever you want, but say for example you don't Build up an Warriors, your security would be low, thus there being no Defenders for when my army arrives, thus I win and you lose. But say you got a wall, I would have to target that first (even if I could just walk around it...

Distance would be annoying to work out though. Would have to cross mountains and such, but say for example someone else picked up that Human civ near mine, we would either need to work together or we would be at war for land...

See the possibilities...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 07:06:09 pm by Neyvn »
Pages: 1 [2]