Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Mercantilism  (Read 4444 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mercantilism
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2010, 10:02:49 pm »

Gold works because there is a 2 in the matrix.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 02:55:35 am »

Everything is valuable because we think it is valuable. Circular logic wins out.

Gold is mostly just shiny and rare.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 06:42:53 am »

Gold's real "value" doesn't lie in being useless, but in being unchanging.  Gold will never rust or corrode... a lump of gold in your safe will pretty much always be a lump of gold.

I think you are wrong. (In particular, I don't think that gold is adscribed value due to it's stability).
Well, if it rusted or corroded, or if it were easy to get lots more, it'd make a crap overall currency, right?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:00:07 am by Leafsnail »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 06:57:10 am »

I think the latter plays a far bigger role than the former, assuming those are significant at all in the matter.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 07:01:27 am »

You wouldn't buy gold if it corroded or rusted or otherwise became valueless somehow.

You wouldn't buy gold if it were easy to obtain more and lower the value.

This is pretty much how precious metals work (that and "Ooh, shiny!").

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 07:12:16 am »

Again, I don't think that is the major factor. Other, more perishable forms of currency, have been used, and indeed are being used. Besides, it's questionable how significant the perishability is, depending on the context.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 07:18:24 am »

Hammurabi's laws defined grain as a legal tender, and refusing to accept it as payment while accepting coins carried a hefty fine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 09:08:06 am »

Yes, that's called fiat currency. The fact they had to punish people to enforce it is proof enough that people, even then, preferred coinage. I'm sure those pacific islander people would have preferred to trade in little pretty metal disks with their chief's face stamped on them instead of massive quarter, half, and full ton stone disks. Whiskey has also been used as a currency, as well as furs, glass beads and buck skins (which a good one was worth a dollar even at trade posts, hence a 'buck'). The problem with all of these is of course bulk, weight, inflation, ease of counterfeit and destruction. Coins solve all these problems.

Personally I'd rather we all trade in gold, silver, or copper coins. I'm old fashioned like that. In fact, I refuse to accept the new pennies because the old pennies are worth two cents melt, while the new pennies are worthless zinc. Somehow I doubt I'll get imprisoned (or will insist on it to the point I do get imprisoned).
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 09:12:21 am »

I'd love to see counterfeit grain.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 09:35:40 am »

Easy. Just mix small pebbles in. They settle to the bottom of the stack and both take up space and add weight. Or the grain could be moldy, and you just threw some fresh stuff over the top to pass a precursory inspection. Really all sorts of ways to cheat there, but you need tools, skill and time to fake a gold coin. Not to mention gold.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 11:30:15 am »

Personally I'd rather we all trade in gold, silver, or copper coins. I'm old fashioned like that. In fact, I refuse to accept the new pennies because the old pennies are worth two cents melt, while the new pennies are worthless zinc. Somehow I doubt I'll get imprisoned (or will insist on it to the point I do get imprisoned).
The good old precious metal coins certainly had their charm, but you can't deny that paper money and its successors are much more convenient when dealing with long distance transfers and large amounts of money. Also, some part of me wants to scream at the thought of the mint running at a loss. The theoretical possibility that you could make so much money that you couldn't afford to make any more money. And even more ridiculously, the mint workers having to stay overtime to make enough money to pay their own salaries, and then having to make even more money to pay for that overtime. The various logic bombs are endless.

And good point with gold being difficult to counterfeit. While there are metals heavier than it, they're usually even rarer than gold. When you get a gold coin and measure its density to be equal to that of gold, you can be sure that it's either gold or some alloy of platinum or something. Well, these days we have depleted uranium, but that's a fairly new development.

Heh, didn't some country sink its entire stock of platinum into the ocean when they were afraid someone would use it for counterfeiting? I remember reading something like that once.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 01:00:15 pm »

Is there a pink metal? Becuase I would use that as currency.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 01:17:19 pm »

Copper is pinkish before it starts corroding, but corrodes way too fast to be useful as a pink metal. Unless you glazed it or something.

You can alloy it with gold to get rose gold, which is hopefully more chemically stable. You can also control the ratio to get exactly the shade of pink you want between mostly-reddish copper and yellow gold. It's implemented in DF, by the way. I'm kind of surprised you didn't know. You can go mint rose gold coins right now and watch as your entire economy collapses as the dwarves stop doing productive work and start hauling coins around.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 01:25:18 pm »

Coins: My anti-fps.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 02:00:38 pm »

I like to imagine it works that way in real life and that we'd all be in spaceships colonizing the stars or even transcending into Gods by now if we hadn't pissed off the Creator by spreading coins and shit everywhere
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5