Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seiged? what do I do!  (Read 1730 times)

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Seiged? what do I do!
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 05:22:54 pm »

MY FIRST SIEGE how is sieges supposed to be even beatable? its even worse as My crossbowmen just happily try and smack them over the head with the bow
Toybasher, crossbows are quite useless until archery targets get bug-fixed. Use sword-and-metalarmor uniform upon squad creation. Or axes. Try to make steel mail armor and steel helmets for your soldiers.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »

Even though 2010 is harder, I'm certain the same elements will apply.

Some do, some don't. As it stands now, you'd be in real trouble. The cages are still good, and there's nothing wrong with spears. However, archery is currently mostly broken, and wrestling is nearly useless in combat against armed siegers. Right now, the two effective defensive options are traps (basic and complex) and fully armed and armored melee combatants. A combination of blunt weapons and axes seems to work well, but if you have full steel arms and armor I think pretty much anything will work.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »

Steel and bronze are equally good.  You need to make sure there's a full suit of armor for everyone, and you need to make sure they actually put it on; also, you need melee weapons (axes are best).  Then your dwarves become nigh-unbeatable, even without training, except against certain beasts.  If your dwarves are dying fast to mere maces, I'm betting they aren't properly equipped.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 10:18:37 pm »

Some do, some don't. As it stands now, you'd be in real trouble. The cages are still good, and there's nothing wrong with spears. However, archery is currently mostly broken, and wrestling is nearly useless in combat against armed siegers. Right now, the two effective defensive options are traps (basic and complex) and fully armed and armored melee combatants. A combination of blunt weapons and axes seems to work well, but if you have full steel arms and armor I think pretty much anything will work.

Well, I was looking at it more from a tactical stand point then the functionality of the Archery and Wrestling. I mean, not everyone would use the same setup with Dwarves as I am in that fortress. But, I mean, lines of defense designed to break the enemy numbers, wittle them down and or anihilate them before they even have a chance to get into your fortress and or shut them out if things are too bad.

But should they manage to get in, have a last line of defense large enough to make your final stand. In this case I can make use of 40d's capabilities, in 2010's, I'd have to compensate, probably throw in a mix Axe and Spear Dwarves in place of Wrestlers. I dunno. I'm still waiting for the military to be completely de-bugged before I jump into 2010.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 12:41:43 am »

The Crossbowmen tried to "club" them with their weapons instead of shooting them?...

Dumb question, but did you make quivers and have bolts for them?.

Sieges are beatable, you just have to prepare with stratagey. I'll site my 40D Fortress Nitigrigoth, which gets NASTY sieges, and are getting nastier and nastier each time.

I have limited access to my fortress which is underground, the two actual entrances have lever controlled floodgates. Its all surrounded by battlements which can only be accessed from the underground fortress and allow my Marksdwarfs to run around ontop and shoot down at the goblins through fortifications. And there are close to a thousand cage traps on the surface. Designed in such a way as to break the enemy siege numbers.

Inside the fort, I have my 36 Champion Wrestlers, and at present, training Spear Dwarves. And 50+ Wardogs, all positioned at the staircases leading from the surfaces entrances. So, should a Siege be able to break through all that. They are my last line of defense.

Oh, and those levers are inside my fortress so that if I order my dwarves inside they can still operate them.

So far, I've only had one incident where an enemy siege got into my fortress. And that was through a weak spot I had not noticed. But they were taken care of. With only one champion injured. And she gained 4 titles in the process.

Crossbowdudes are a bit silly at the moment, and getting them to shoot stuff or even pick up their gear is something that happens as they please.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:46 am »

look at the combat reports?

press r, see what happens.

They all get the skull jammed thru the brain and die. I savescummed AGAIN and I am trying to wait it out, its been about 2 seasons and they havnt leaved yet.

Steel armor is just good enough against gobbos, equip your guys in steel, let them train and get them out to kill (on either possible way, or wait till its fixed) - and they will kill 8). The hammer gobbos though, can do damage even then, but normally it isn't lethal. (also the other gobbos can, if they greatly outnumber your dwarfes. You will curse the bugged bowgobbos a lot more.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 05:18:29 am »

I like spears, because although they take longer to kill opponents, they are much more likely to get a first-strike disabling blow.  A hammergoblin who drops his hammer is just meat in a can.  If only speardwarves wouldn't repeatedly stab a downed opponent rather than attacking the upright ones it would be even better.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: 1 [2]