Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The game is griefing me, and I'm not even playing it yet.  (Read 8793 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The game is griefing me, and I'm not even playing it yet.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 11:10:27 pm »

Dude, what did I just say? My PC isn't working. However, Macs don't try to commit suicide any time you ever try to use a different network other than your own for Internet.

Unlike the rest of these posters I'm an actual mac-using DF player who can tell you what to do.

You can't easily run the game by double clicking on anything except Terminal, which you need to open.
If the df_osx folder is on your desktop, you need to type either
Code: [Select]
~/Desktop/df_osx/df or
cd ~/Desktop/df_osx/
./df
Substitute the path to wherever you put DF as necessary.
If you've put it in, for instance, your Applications folder, it'll be
/Applications/df_osx/df

You can also drag the df file onto an open terminal window. Terminal doesn't seem to want to let you drag it onto the application itself or pick it from the "open" window.

If you feel like being moderately clever, you can also rename the dwarf fortress folder to "MacOS", put it inside a folder named "Contents", and put that inside a folder named "df.app". Then it'll run when you double-click that folder (which will take on a generic application icon).

THAAAANK YOU. It worked.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 01:37:43 am »

I was kidding mate, I thought the schoolgirl like giggle would show my mischievous intent :P

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2010, 02:23:39 am »

Unlike the rest of these posters I'm an actual mac-using DF player who can tell you what to do.

Yeah, just for the record, I am also a mac-using DF player, with a method that works and has worked for all of the mac builds. Thanks.

You can't easily run the game by double clicking on anything except Terminal, which you need to open.

Well you can actually. You just make "df" open with terminal, as previously stated. Get info on the df file, change the open with to Terminal. It may not initially let you open it with terminal, but set the Enable: list to All Applications and it'll let you choose it. Then you can double-click on df to open it. Works like a charm.

[snip]

THAAAANK YOU. It worked.

Evidently though, my assistance is not needed. Glad to see things are working for you.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:25:48 am by PlumpHelmetDwarf »

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 12:33:07 am »

If you want an actual application file that you can open without using Terminal:

Create a folder named "MacOS" and put all of the contents of folder "df_osx" inside it.
Create a folder named "Contents" and put MacOS inside it.
Create a folder named "df" and put Contents inside it.
Change the name of df to "df.app", and click OK when it asks you whether you want to change the extension.

You should now have an application called df that you can double-click and open by itself. If you want to look inside the application to change the raws or something, you can right-click it and select "Show package contents".

Hope this helped.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 04:49:26 am »

The game should really be packaged like that from the beginning...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 05:40:53 am »

Macs don't try to commit suicide any time you ever try to use a different network other than your own for Internet.

Neither do Linux distributions and all I had to do was double click on the df script and hit "Run".

/smug linux user

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

Neither do Windows pcs and I just have to double-click on the dwarffort.exe to run it.

/smug windows user.

No seriously, wtf is the problem "Double A" is on about?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 12:34:24 pm »

Niether do macs, i just have to double click on df.
/smug mac user

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 09:05:53 pm »

Neither do Windows pcs and I just have to double-click on the dwarffort.exe to run it.

/smug windows user.

A fixed one, "Thief^."

Now I'm on to floodgates and levers.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 09:53:17 pm »

If this game is giving you trouble now, wait till you play it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2010, 11:06:26 pm »

Double A there is something /way/ easier then opening it up through the terminal.

WAY EASIER.

Just command click on the DF Unix Executable (The thing you open up in the terminal), the on the information tab there will be a section called 'Open With', there wont be anything selected on the drop down menu. Now select the drop down menu, and select 'Other'. Then go to your application folder then to utilities and select terminal. If Terminal is faded out, on the selection window, you can change a drop down menu to Any Program.

And now when you click DF thing, it'll open with the terminal automatically.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:12 am »

The terminal is a quick copy/paste/enter. I'm fine now.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:47 am »

Macs don't try to commit suicide any time you ever try to use a different network other than your own for Internet.

Neither do Linux distributions and all I had to do was double click on the df script and hit "Run".

/smug linux user

/smug windows user.

A fixed one, "Thief^."

You fixed your wireless suicide problem?

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 07:00:01 am »

Yeah. I used a cliff.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »

If you want it clickable without a bunch of weirdly named folders, clever as that is, you could always make an applescript.  It would look a little something like this:
do shell script "/Users/umbrageofsnow/Desktop/df/mods/genesis/genesis_31_08_ascii/df"
Or substitute whatever shorter location your chosen df file is in.

But you can put the script in your sidebar or on the desktop or wherever without having to have the actual df folder there.  Good for OCD filing of different versions.

Oh, save your script as an app by the way.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 03:00:40 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »
Pages: 1 [2] 3