Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The game is griefing me, and I'm not even playing it yet.  (Read 8794 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
The game is griefing me, and I'm not even playing it yet.
« on: July 04, 2010, 07:34:23 am »

Right, I have a MacBook with OS 10.4.11. I tried downloading DF from the main page by clicking on the button saying "Mac." The file unzipped, and now I have no idea what to do.

Please help.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 03:42:34 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: The game is griefing me, and I'm not even playing it yet.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:43:37 am »

Is this even in the right place?
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:02 am »

IIRC, there's a script called "df" somewhere.
Run it.
In command mode that's done by typing in:"./df"

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 09:00:53 am »

well, when you opened it, what did you find? Surely theres a run file somewhere, or something? I dont use macs, so I cant tell you what to do, but since you own a mac surely you can find the executable? Ignore the "durrhurr maclol" types, theyre just idiots.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:06:11 am »

"The fire unzipped"

Well there's your problem.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:45:26 pm »

it should be on your desktop, i have a mac too. if its not, search for it using the finder.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 03:47:39 pm »

IIRC, there's a script called "df" somewhere.
Run it.
In command mode that's done by typing in:"./df"

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

There was a black rectangle (ie, no application, and wants me to use an existing application to run it) with df under it. I just don't know how to make it its own application.

it should be on your desktop, i have a mac too. if its not, search for it using the finder.

Yeah, it's on my desktop.

well, when you opened it, what did you find? Surely theres a run file somewhere, or something? I dont use macs, so I cant tell you what to do, but since you own a mac surely you can find the executable? Ignore the "durrhurr maclol" types, theyre just idiots.

Like I said, the game file is there, but the computer wants a program to run it. The Mac is bad at acknowledging that the program is in the damn file already, and you want to install it.

If this helps, there are 4 text files (command line, file changes, readme, and release notes), 4 files (data, libs, raw, and sdl), and 3 black rectangles with some green word in the top left corner (df, dwarfort.exe, and README.linux).

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:55:58 pm »

There's no real Mac "launcher" for it like native mac apps.  One of the files should be named just "df".

Double click it in finder and the app should run.  If you are comfortable using Terminal, change to the directory it unpacked into and type "./df" from the command prompt.  If it still doesn't work, at least double-clicking the "df" app should open up a Terminal window with some kind of messages in it that would help figure out why it's not running.

Hmm, might be a good project for me over the long weekend to see if there is any way I could make a simple .app package for the Mac that would make it easier to figure out.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 04:00:09 pm »

My problem, though, is that when I do click on df, I get this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Same thing with "dwarfort.exe" and "README.linux".

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:55:40 pm »

Do you have a linux or power PPC? latest version or 40d? what version of mac?

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »

Open "df" with Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal.app

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:57:50 pm »

Unlike the rest of these posters I'm an actual mac-using DF player who can tell you what to do.

You can't easily run the game by double clicking on anything except Terminal, which you need to open.
If the df_osx folder is on your desktop, you need to type either
Code: [Select]
~/Desktop/df_osx/df or
cd ~/Desktop/df_osx/
./df
Substitute the path to wherever you put DF as necessary.
If you've put it in, for instance, your Applications folder, it'll be
/Applications/df_osx/df

You can also drag the df file onto an open terminal window. Terminal doesn't seem to want to let you drag it onto the application itself or pick it from the "open" window.

If you feel like being moderately clever, you can also rename the dwarf fortress folder to "MacOS", put it inside a folder named "Contents", and put that inside a folder named "df.app". Then it'll run when you double-click that folder (which will take on a generic application icon).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 07:59:42 pm by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Unlike the rest of these posters I'm an actual mac-using DF player who can tell you what to do.

What kind of forum would this be if we didn't have a dozen people talking out their ass before somebody gave a useful answer?

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 08:44:09 pm »

I am also a mac using person. Thing is, I think toady might have made the new versions unusable on some macs. my power pc cannot run the new version.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 09:29:13 pm »

After careful assessment I have found the issue you have with playing the game.

You're using a Mac. You're supposed to be doing graphic design or writing poems or something, not playing games.

Solution:

Step 1. Get some hair on your chest.
Step 2. Buy a PC, now that you're a man.

*giggles like a schoolgirl*
Pages: [1] 2 3