Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Uh oh, did I just refuse to have a baron?  (Read 1684 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uh oh, did I just refuse to have a baron?
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:40:31 am »

So the diplomat asked me to recommend a dwarf to be the new baron, but when I went through the list I wasn't sure about who to pick, and I ended up hitting escape (=abort) which ended the whole process.  Now I am worried that I will never have the chance to have a baron again.  Of course, I don't care about the baron himself, what I actually want is the dungeon master, who will allow me to train my giant cave spider, giant bat, giant cave swallow, etc.

Will I be given another chance to appoint a baron?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uh oh, did I just refuse to have a baron?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:27:53 am »

Actually, I'm really curious too-- I've heard that the reason the dungeon master isn't coming is because he's programmed to arrive with the baron, and barons end up getting appointed.  Maybe you'll luck out and get sent a baron and a dungeon master?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:59:35 am »

If you don't get a dungeon master due to whatever bugs there are, you can also mod the [PET_EXOTIC] tags in the raws into [PET] tags and you don't need a dungeon master.

...which doesn't really answer your question.  But it's a workaround to fall back on.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:25:58 am »

IIRC, editing raws means you need to re-gen the world, too. So still not even a good work-around.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 10:32:14 am »

IIRC, editing raws means you need to re-gen the world, too. So still not even a good work-around.

as i stated somewhere else, if you edit the raws AND the regions raws, it WILL be implemented into the current game without regening a world
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 10:40:53 am »

Some modifications to the raws need a regenned world, some don't - but for the ones that don't you do need to change the region's raws as well.

katyrnyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:43:12 am »

To reply to the OP:

I ran into the same thing back in 21.05 or something.  My list of dwarfs was unexceptional, so I hit escape to back out of the list and return to the conversation (expecting to go back to the part of it where you select "We want our distance" or "Bring on the King!"), but the diplomat decided I just didn't care and left.  I was never offered a Barony again, and that fort ran for another 7 or 8 years.  Granted that I may not have met the "Barony" conditions again in that timeframe, but I find that highly unlikely.

So, yes, unless something has changed, you have just refused to have a Baron.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:30:07 pm »

Dammit.  Well, no big loss I guess if the Dungeon Master is broken anyway...

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:46:18 pm »

Some modifications to the raws need a regenned world, some don't - but for the ones that don't you do need to change the region's raws as well.

Yeah, I've specifically modded [PET_EXOTIC] tags to [PET] tags in an existing game and it didn't require any regenning.  Now, I did have to mod it in the regions raws...