Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Your choice storytelling - Waterworld?  (Read 5418 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Your choice storytelling - Waterworld?
« on: July 04, 2010, 12:55:46 am »

The thread is going to be remade cause it's so far and hasn't been made yet... But for your pleasure, the stats are as follows.

Civilization - The Closed Room
Fortress Name - Waterworld
Group Name - The Chambers of Ice
The Embark Sign - Grizzly Bears

The Map... The white is ice, it's 44 zlevels thick. Yes, it's on an ocean.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Map... These are the "sheer" cliffs you can get without having a river cause it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those points eventually turn into squares at the bottom.

The rest of this is going to be in the new thread "Areloram - The underwater city"
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 07:20:15 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your choice storytelling...
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 01:16:11 am »

What about a fortress over ocean? Pick an embark spot that's mostly ocean then build a fort entirely over the sea.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 01:23:37 am »

In a not so old fort that I've lost the save for somehow I embarked with only cassiterite. That was it. 7 peasants and about 150 cassiterite stones. You could the the survivalist challenge were you embarked in a tough biome with nothing but one bit of native copper. It was a lot more plausible in 40d when hunting worked.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 01:45:16 am »

Embark with both an evil and a good biome included if possible ^^. I figure its possible but haven't seen it yet.

It is possible to get both in the same embark, just found one although it was only a single square of evil with a lot of neutral in between the good.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:12:30 am by StephanReiken »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:14:08 am »

What about a fortress over ocean? Pick an embark spot that's mostly ocean then build a fort entirely over the sea.
But make sure it's naturally carved so it can be a SUBMARINE!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »

So you're asking me to drain the ocean in order to be able to produce a hellauv a badass water fortress and SOMEHOW manage to go down and build a submarine?

OMG!!!

That might actually be a perfect idea! Especially with the perfect world utility!!!

Alright, I'll get to work genning that and we'll see what I come up with O.o
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Waterworld?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:01:17 pm »

Alright, I edited the first post, give it a look see and let me know what you think. Is that where I shall embark?

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your choice storytelling - Waterworld?
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:39:40 pm »

Well, it just has to be a fortress over the ocean, so have fun :)
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:43:37 pm »

Why would I go just over the ocean? With this superb area, it will be a glorious idea to have an extensive underwater fortress. I'm not too sure whether or not I want to make a submarine though. O.o After mine USS Enterprise (Silverdale) too scale plants of a submarine, but be a bit much. However... a sub is a lot smaller.

Alright, so it's up to you guys how I go about this fortress. You can doodle up some plans for me to follow as well. If there are a bunch of mix-matched plans, I'll try to incorporate as much as all of them. Also, you get to decide on the story telling method of the fortress. Do I just do journal updates like the USS Silverdale or what? It's up to you guys!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:14 pm »

You'll have a lot more success with a frozen ocean than trying to drill holes in an ocean full of water using nothing but screw pumps, trust me.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

I plan on using the frozen-ness to my advantage for the most part. I also plan on having a "drain the ocean" dealio set up as well.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:05 pm »

Underwater works too :) Just as long as there's a periscope or something above water!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 06:32:48 pm »

Well of course. There will be an observation dealio and such. I'm still debating on how to about it... I cooould have an underwater bridge with glass and all or I could have a surface bridge (which we be easiest and most defensible. Especially considering the game starts at Spring, so those 44 z's are going to melt real soon... maybe...

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 01:03:37 am »

Dig out a large cave under a large portion of land. Care said large portion of land into a fortress. Have large portion of land suspended over the cave by a single tile. Make sure farms and stills are in fortress. Make sure fortress is completely sealed. Put every dwarf but 1 miner inside fortress. Seal fortress. Channel single support tile. SUBMARINE FORTRESS GOBLIN FREE FOREVER. YES.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 04:04:01 pm »

Alright so I was checking the level and I noticed that I have 24 zlevels above ground and 100 zlevels of ocean. So that's 167 zlevels of mayhem!

I'm still debating what to do... I really don't want to ruin such a nice level design with a haphazard construction.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4