Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Adventurer, a C# Roguelike focusing on improvisation, coded by myself  (Read 10415 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer, a C# Roguelike focusing on improvisation, coded by myself
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 01:50:03 am »

It's complaining at me about 'int32 flags'. I think it's running into problems with 64 bit. Windows 7 if it helps.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 08:54:36 pm »

It sounds like for the large part it's stable, except for the people running 64 bit, in which case there's problems. Namely, things like atom loading where it's getting an ill-formed string. In normal situations, it would just ignore it. But it sounds like it isn't even in the right format. And things like screen display, in which Sdl_Init is having problems setting that up. Which makes since on a bitness standpoint, since Sdl was made in C, and works a lot more literally with memory.

So yeah. I'll start looking into how to program for 64-bit systems for the next update, in addition to the other things I'm doing. Then that should kill the biggest compatibility issue now.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Berserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 03:04:20 am »

It's crashing for me when loading atoms on startup. The errorlog says LoadAtoms() (and thus System.Number.SringToNumber()) received an ill-formed string on line 2291.

I have the same problem. I'm using 32 bit Windows 7.

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 04:28:47 am »

It's crashing for me when loading atoms on startup. The errorlog says LoadAtoms() (and thus System.Number.SringToNumber()) received an ill-formed string on line 2291.

I have the same problem. I'm using 32 bit Windows 7.

I managed to solve this problem by replacing all dots in the encyclopedia files with commas. It appears that the lowest-level parsing functions depend on local OS settings (my Vista displays numbers in the format "123,456" by default).

But yeah, gameplay works fine, though rats are very hardcore :D I'd like a menu where you can see your current total wound status and equipment.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 05:23:43 am »

Oh wow, thanks for that one Arzgarb. I couldn't wrap my head around what could be causing that one, if it wasn't 64-bitness. That actually makes a lot of sense though. I'll see if there's a command to handle that. If there isn't, I can always have it 'try' a period-formatted file, 'catch' it if it doesn't work and then try a comma-formatted file. So that'll knock out the only real 32-bit issue I know of at the moment. Then I'll see what I can do about the 64-bit crash bugs.

And yeah, in my own play testing too I'm seeing that rats are more hardcore than you would expect. I'll probably nerf those, and add a third early-dungeon creature about as tough as current rats that you would more expect that way, but not as tough as goblins. Also, there is a menu to check on your overall health status, [z] to access it. I'll see about adding more info there too, like wielded weapon and worn armor. Also for the next version, Potions of Regeneration are a definite thing going in. No fun losing an arm completely with no way of getting it back. Works for dwarves because you can always get more, but as a solo adventurer you have to rely on some magic there.
My Roguelike project, Adventurer, can be found at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and its blog can be found at adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 05:01:34 am »

I just uploaded 0.0.1.1, which I think fixed that whole problem Arzgarb played a big role in fixing. It already worked fine on my computer, though, so I need people to test it. Also, I added picks and shovels and changed around item spawning some.

Arzgarb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 10:08:46 am »

Tested it. Picks and shovels work fine, and rats won't rip my legs off instantly, so that's good. There's something going on with the inventory screen once you have more items than letters, namely, the excess items disappear from the list and the letters don't match. 'a' will always refer to the earliest item you picked up, not the first item you see on the list, 'x' to the item 26 places after that, and the rest cannot be viewed.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 02:07:24 pm »

My keyboard doesn't have a numpad. Having a way to adjust the controls would be nice.
!!&!!

Arkbrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 12:27:15 pm »

This game absolutely has potential. But I got a little disappointed when I couldn't use the potion of regeneration as a weapon.

Kalasen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 08:44:57 pm »

0.0.1.2 is out. Ranged combat and looking at things at a distance. Check it at code.google.com/p/adventurerroguelike and adventurerroguelike.blogspot.com

Arkbrik: Fix'd. Anything can now be wielded as a weapon. It was as simple as moving damage data from weapons alone to items in general, and a few tweaks on wielding.

Ampersand: One of my early friend testers had that problem, so I added other controls. The ordinary arrow keys, with insert/delete/pgup/pgdn for diagonals. Later on, I'll look into offering fully customizable key bindings.

Arzgarb: Haven't got to the inventory menu yet. As for now, the easiest thing is just to limit the number of items a creature can carry at a time. A number limit of 26 or so will be easiest to put in, and doubles as being an early implementation of encumbrance. That'll probably go in next week. Also I'm glad at least some of the rats don't seem to be hardcore. However, I'm seeing that they're still being glitchy in my own testing, so I'll work on that some more.

So yeah, after missing a week due to a short vacation, I'm back on track and ready to keep up the fairly rapid updates. Hopefully with more meat to show next time.

Pages: 1 [2]