Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for traps  (Read 881 times)

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ideas for traps
« on: July 03, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »

Hey there, I'll be making my first attempt to make traps and I need your creativity ;)

Could you guide me in how to make traps. I have water access and that's all...no magma :(

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for traps
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »

If you want elaborate traps, you'll need more than a puddle.

If it's your first elaborate death trap, you may want to start with something fairly simple and you may want to make sure that you set it aside from your forts main entrance. Dwarfs tend to get themselves killed in complex projects. Sometimes it happens because players don't tend to 'N'ote things down

I'd go with something such as a pit into spikes. Just set up a long bridge (about 12 tiles or more in width), dig out the space underneath it, set the bridge to retract and make sure it's long. There are two ways you can rig it to be triggered. The first is manual, just throw a dwarf in some lever room (make sure you feed him) and when the time comes order him to pull the lever. The other is a bit tricky, it's through the use of pressure plates.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 07:04:35 pm »

A fairly easy one to start with...

Most fortresses have one entrance, with a straight path. Implement some method to block this path off (bridge over a pit), but build an alternate path in on the level below, accessed by stairs. It's probably best to make it winding and longer.

When enemies arrive, once you get the dwarves inside, you can block the main path. Once enemies are in the alternate patch, throw a switch that locks them in (via hatches). Now, you flood the alternate path with 7/7 water, and wait for the baddies to drown.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

There is always the simple cave in trap which could be built on practically every map
Dig a channel in the shape of a 10X10 square (size can be adjusted accordingly)
OOOOOOOOOOO
OXXXXXXXXXXO
OXOOOOOOOXO
OXOOOOOOOXO
OXOOOOOOOXO
OXOOOOOOOXO
OXOOOOOOOXO
OXXXXXXXXXXO
OOOOOOOOOOO

mine out all the dirt beneath the square EXCEPT for one tile (this is to prevent the trap from collapsing prematurely
Place a support in the middle of the trap
Link a lever/pressure plate to the support
Dig out the previously mentioned dirt square
Once goblin baddies come, activate trap and watch it collapse on your enemies
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:39:30 pm by noodle0117 »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »

There is always the simple cave in trap which could be built on practically every map

mine out all the dirt beneath the square EXCEPT for one tile (this is to prevent the trap from collapsing prematurely

I was going to build one these earlier today, but I wasn't quite sure about some things. What counts as a "support"? I was going to build a drawbridge, raise it, dig out the remaining space, and then lower the drawbridge to trigger the collapse. Would that work?
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

epdtry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:07:05 pm »

I was going to build one these earlier today, but I wasn't quite sure about some things. What counts as a "support"? I was going to build a drawbridge, raise it, dig out the remaining space, and then lower the drawbridge to trigger the collapse. Would that work?

A support is a specific building that will hold up sections of terrain to prevent cave-ins.  It can also be connected to a lever, which lets you can destroy the support remotely whenever you want (for example, when there are goblins under whatever it holds up :) ).

By the way, bridges do not count as anything for cave-in purposes.  If you end up with a platform that's held up by nothing but a bridge, the platform will collapse.  For more information on cave-ins, check the wiki page.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:08:59 pm »

Thanks. I guess I knew that about supports, but I've never really used them.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Mush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 09:53:05 pm »

A passage lined with spike traps all connected to one lever. You can have one dwarf Pull the lever on Repeat as foes walk through. Nothing usually survives, but maybe that's because I load each tile with ten spikes. If your versed in water dynamics, you can find a way to use water and pressure plate to make the trap work automatically.

An indoor waterfall that powered itself turned out to be a pretty interesting trap. You rig a walkway to flow with water from one side, to the other into a basin. This can wash goblins walking along into the basin where they'd drown. Of course, my waterfall wasn't built in a way to promote that but it stil happened a lot. I would have an independant powersource though.

I don't know how grates (or floor bars, whatever) work exactly, but you can have a walkway lined with grates suddenly flood with water when invaders come. I read on the Wiki, the flow of water with it should push the goblins through the grate down to whatever you have lying below. Like I said, I don't know if this would work, I'm going to try it on my next fort.

win32anon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:30:45 am »

After several attempts to make a good trap, none successful I'm planing something different...
1st floor
WWWX0XWWWWWWWWWWW
...BBB...WWWWWWWW
...BBB...D00DWWWW
...BBB...WWWWWWWW
...BBB...WWWWWWWW
...BBB...WWWWWWWW
WWWXXXWWWWWWWWWWW

2nd floor
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX
HXXXXX
0XXXXX

X - ground
W - Wall
. - Open Space
W - Water
B - Bridge
0 - Pressure Plate: When somebody passes trough it Door D opens
0 - Pressure Plate: 1/7 Bridge closes
0 - Pressure Plate: 7/7 Door D opens
0 - Pressure Plate: When 2/7 hatch H will opens
H - Hatch
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:37:31 am by win32anon »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:14:43 am »

A support is a specific building that will hold up sections of terrain to prevent cave-ins.
And, as a useful note, supports can be propping a mass of otherwise disconnected rock/regolith up, at the bottom, or holding a mass up from the top, hanging from a relevent ceiling.

By the way, bridges do not count as anything for cave-in purposes.  If you end up with a platform that's held up by nothing but a bridge, the platform will collapse.
And this feature makes a convenient method to gain access to otherwise horizontally disconnected areas without adding further supports (although making it a diagonal corner-to-corner connection would also work).

Consider this (side-view) design:

Code: [Select]
#################
##  I   I   I  ##
## ### ### ### ##
## ### ### ### ##
  _ I _ I _ I _
## ### ### ### ##
## ### ### ### ##
##~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
##~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
##~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
##~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
##~~~~~~~~~~~~~##
#################

For a start, setting up the bridges ("_") to retract, you've got yourself a standard non-expendable dumping system (provisionally with water below, but could be just a drop, or lined with spikes), but for the hardier creatures you might need something a bit more effective.

With appropriate pressure-plate and/or lever attachments to the various supports ("I") you've got options to either drop a given lower suspended blocks into the water (or magma!) below, taking any creature traversing the block with it (plus possibly some cave-in dust effects for anything it doesn't directly impact), or effectively squishing them between upper and lower blocks (which I'm betting won't help their health and well-being) by releasing the top support and letting the whole mass fall.

Having dropped one or both blocks, you could replace the remaining bridges-to-nowhere with a longer bridge, to let you still drop your enemies/awkard aquaintences into the liquid, but if you still have the upper block it can be dropped onto the bridge for further squishing-fun (aim and timing allowing).  The bridges would have to be rebuilt again after that eventuality, of course.

With enough time and effort and room to dig, a 'string' of blocks should be able to be suspended for a more protracted (though still limited) number of possible crushings, and by weaving the cross-ways path up and repeatedly through and between the strings of pearls, many more opportunities to give your enemies a bad time are to be had.  Including flying creatures, who are likely to be caught in either cave-in dust or actual closing voids, given enough opportunities.  If dropping native rock blocks, I think they'll stay 'intact', (whereas re-constructed blocks will disassemble, I think I found).  Bear that in mind when it comes to planning the depth of the sump (and I'm unsure if water ends up being displaced by a falling block or being 'atom smashed') as you may end up with stalagmites formed of the succesively fallen stalactites.

Note, this is a combination of several different things I've done individually (hence the uncertainty at the end, but feel free to try it!), and I've not gone to such effort.  (Or, at least, not so much effort in this direction.)  Mostly I have tended to go for traps that snap shut behind attacking hordes, just as their morale breaks, and forces them to take a Danger Room or Killing Zone path back out in their attempts to retreat.  Or just cages, for a more controlled and personal application of Cruel And Unusual Treatment/general experimentation.  But I've laid out (and not used) a basic version of the above in preparation for an ampersand-invasion that I never got (encountered Other Difficulties first) but which I was hoping to crush, literally and/or figuratively.