Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does one order dwarves inside these days?  (Read 9912 times)

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
How does one order dwarves inside these days?
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:14:21 pm »

^Topic^

Been working on an rather nice fort over the last week, but the reclaim of it eventually failed because the ambushes struck rather timely in the fact everyone was either dumping or hauling stuff to the depot. My quick fix to this since i don't THINK there's a 'order dwarves indoors' command anymore was to assign everyone to an inside burrow.

Turns out that burrows seem to only be 'suggestions' when item hauling, Fun ensues.

Any idea to get around this?
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: How does one order dwarves inside these days?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:46 pm »

Hm. Every time I assign all of my civilians to the emergency burrow I get a ton of job cancellation spam as every hauling job in the fortress is dropped and they scurry down to the Vault. Are you sure the alert level for civilians is set appropriately?

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »

Had a similar issue, my dorfs were outside constructin my pyramid and OH GOD an ambush. Tranic searching for a "gtfi" command was fruitless. Much fun was had.
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:49:22 pm »

Agreed. I definitely miss the 'ole "dwarves go outside" option.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:30:59 pm »

I think burrows work well.    Ive ordered complete retreat to the dining hall a few times and been pretty happy with the effort.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »

I think burrows work well.    Ive ordered complete retreat to the dining hall a few times and been pretty happy with the effort.

I've never used burrows in conjunction with alert levels, or the like. Would you be so kind as to explain how it works?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 01:42:53 pm »

I've had dwarves run outside burrows when assigned, to fetch goblinite from the battle zones. If I had to guess, I would say that they don't drop their current job when they get assigned, even if that includes running outside the burrow.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 01:54:47 pm »

I had this problem. Had an ambush, several dwarves died. locked most of everyone inside a burrow. Then I decided to let the traders out, let their guards deal with this. Forgot to lock the Depot doors and EVERY SINGLE DWARF IN THE FORTRESS ran outside to collect the items of their fallen comrades.

Yandapanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 02:25:20 pm »

There's still a way to tell them to not go get stuff (fallen comrades/items/etc), but I'm not sure burrows work right now. I tried that and as was indicated before, they treated it as a 'suggestion' rather than an order. I had multiple dorfs (including the mayor) standing around outside the fortress, thirsty, unhappy and with no job, but would NOT go to the burrow.

The request for explaining the alert system would be beneficial :-) I've abandoned numerous fortresses had much fun with the mere fact that I lost 95% of the dorfs to 'got to get the xyz' even with hauling turned off.

On another note: Is there a way to make a sword-dwarf actually use the artifact sword just made by the hot-shot weaponsmaster? I tried direct assignment, but he ignored me.

Yanda
-- Yanda

Rallion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 02:29:25 pm »

It's actually pretty easy. On the military screen, create a new alert level, like "Under Attack". Highlight it, then move over to the right and select your "Inside" burrow, and press enter.

Now, when under attack, go to the military screen, highlight the Under Attack alert, and press enter. This sets the Civilian alert level to Under Attack, which restricts all civilians to the associated burrow. To turn it off, just set the Civ alert back to Inactive.

Hopefully this helps you get it done, I don't have the game in front of me to confirm that this is exactly right, but it's very close.

It makes perfect sense after you do it the first time, and it really is much better than the old way!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:36:57 pm by Rallion »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 02:30:17 pm »

Ah, thanks. I'll have to experiment when I get a chance.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »

Stay in burrows isn't perfect, but that's part of  the fun. (I used to use an open air or glass-ceilinged barracks in 40d, so I could jolt my military awake at any sign of danger, and I'm kind of happy to be denied that exploit these days.)

There are a few things you can do to make the safe burrow work better:

Have a meeting hall inside your burrow.
Have adequate food and drink inside your burrow.
Have plenty of jobs to do inside your burrow.  (Just mass designate a bunch of stone for dumping at the same time you restrict the civilians.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 02:41:33 pm »

Hm. Every time I assign all of my civilians to the emergency burrow I get a ton of job cancellation spam as every hauling job in the fortress is dropped and they scurry down to the Vault. Are you sure the alert level for civilians is set appropriately?
Well, I can't confirm right now, but that would sound like a fix for it...
Admittedly the as-of-yet unexplored military screen is the last place i'd look >>;
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »

Well, I can't confirm right now, but that would sound like a fix for it...
Admittedly the as-of-yet unexplored military screen is the last place i'd look >>;

Yep, the quick how-to Rallion posted is correct. I tend to designate a burrow over the food/ammo stockpiles for my first year, and dig out a legit minifortress complete with dormitory, food supplies, lever controls for the entire fortress, a forge and enough metal bars and stones to build anything needful should the worst happen and the narrow access shaft needs to be walled off. I eagerly anticipate the day a siege or megabeast comes that forces me to start over from the last survivors to make it to the Vault, Bronzemurdered style.