Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retirement Village challenge  (Read 1431 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Retirement Village challenge
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:12:38 am »

So, after a week at the beach, I was inspired to start a beach settlement in DF, and found that the variety of challenges involved would make it a great community challenge. You've got saltwater to deal with, aquifers, a need to build mostly aboveground, and a few more kinks I've thrown in. So....

Even dwarves get tired of being in cold, slimy caves or hot, dusty forges all the time. Not to mention all those adventurers who wind up "retiring" to some podunk human settlement when they really ought to be able to retire in style. Well, now's your chance to make a retirement village worthy of your best champions. Let them sip dwarven wine coolers on the beach while a High Master Cook prepares a luau feast. Let them browse through the gift shop for the finest in local crafts. But be careful...wealthy retirees are a tempting target for pickpockets, kidnappers and other unsavory elements. Not to mention the dangers of the local wildlife.

RULES:
1. Site must be adjoining an ocean, and at least one quarter of the initial placement must be ocean tiles, preferably an unbroken stretch of beach, although a cay or harbor would be acceptable as well.
2. Climate must be at least temperate, preferably Hot. We're looking for Palm Springs, not a fishing village in Nova Scotia.
3. 60% of immigrants should be considered "guests". This means that all their labors will be removed after they arrive, and all they'll do is lounge around, attend parties and eat and drink. The other 40% are the staff. I've left the choice of who goes where up to the player to make it a bit easier. Obviously, it won't always be possible to get exactly a 60/40 split but this ratio should be adhered to as close as possible.
4. Each guest needs their own bedroom, no shared barracks or dormitory style housing. The staff *can* be housed dorm-style.
5. Remember, the overarching goal is to keep your "guest" dwarves happy and healthy. Burrows could be useful here to keep them from straying out into the wilderness.
6. Extra points for flourishes like carved tiki idols, maybe a magma-filled luau pit, a seaside cabana bar, jacuzzi, a dock for the yacht club, etc.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retirement Village challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:24:52 am »

Wow that's great!! :D

Are you gonna keep invaders on? Could be difficult to make a fort military defenceable whilst making it a holiday haven. Mind, you could just consider that part of the challenge. Keeping a military large enough to deal with invaders, cavern creatures etc. with only 40% of the dwarves to deal with could be tricky.

If you want to make it really tricky, each dwarf could have to have their own FULL living accomodations. A house with a personal bedroom and dining room. AND they have to look pretty. Slanted rooves maybe, colour-coordination with materials.

You might also need to turn off economy in .INIT. I'm not sure if it actually WORKS in the new version, but if it does activate, it will break the idea, as all your 'guests' would get evicted
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:29:41 am by weird beard »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:40:59 am »

So far, I'm playing with invaders on. Economy is still on too, but I rarely ever actually get to the point of having an economy. Obviously if the fort got big enough to trigger it, I'd need to disable it. Kinda sucks though, I'd like to actually have gift "shops". Maybe I could use a util to make all the guests Legendary Conversationalists or something to exempt them.

Of course, the world I genned was a small island, and the gobbos all got conquered and incorporated into the one dwarf civ. Don't plan on digging to the caverns for a good long time, so that's not an issue yet. (Although I should eventually...would make a great tourist attraction...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:04:14 am »

If you want economy, but don't want evictions, then turn on [ZERO_RENT] in the d_init.txt

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 12:16:51 am »

Pretty sure in the new version you are prompted to become a barony (and hence, economy) and it never happens unless you choose your own baron and become a barony.

So I'd say don't worry about it too much.

Also, it sounds like a great idea, although I'd play with invaders off.

Meowth! That's right!

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:25:43 am »

If i can do it with invaders off, i'll certainly try!
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:21:14 am »

I've decided I'm doing this. Great idea.
Meowth! That's right!

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:04 pm »

Ok, i'll go ahead and try it (w/o invaders of course)!

Any deadline? or do we just post pics and journals now and then?
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 04:50:46 am »

I apologize for the lack of info, but this is what i've got so far:

Finally. After a couple of false starts, i got going on Shotforded (:) ). First step was to dig out some large spaces for storage and workshops, and dig down for some resources. I put up a farm for plump helmets, and had my miner throw a tantrum (apparently she got in an argument with someone in charge, among other things). No tantrum spiral though! :)

I ended up building my main fort area in sand, so i'm putting up a meeting hall and storage lower down, in stone. I also set up a dormitory on the sand level. My dwarves are running around like little bees doing half a dozen things, which is good i suppose.

While all of this was going on, it turned to summer and i got 5 migrants. As required, 3 have become "retirees", though they'll have to wait for me to assign them real quarters. Whew, my crafters finally got done smoohing the dining room! now other tasks in the fortress can actually get done. I truck a vein of Magnetite early on, and also some aventurine and brown jasper.

Autumn comes. A smelter and furnace is installed, and i start work on the first beach-side, mist-side retirement home :) My dwarves set up a metalsmith's workshop as well, and 7 dwarves arrive. I snag myself an Architect (who becomes a crafter), a new Lumberjack, and i forget what else. Engraving on the Dining room is done piecemeal, so i don't tie up every Crafter i have for a long while. Those retirees are getting tired of my staff meeting hall :P

It becomes winter, and work continues on my dual retiree's homes. It consists of a layout similar to this:

Code: [Select]
WWWWWWDW
 Wh.....W
 Wc.W...W
 WWWWTCBW
    WWWWW

W = wall
T = table
C = chair
B = bed
c = cabinet
h = chest

Unless otherwise noted, all items are iron.

Winter comes, and i do more mining. Other than that and construction of a loom, nothing interesting happens. I complete the first pair of homes, and thus ends tage 1. Stage 2 will encapsulate stepping up my rate of home production, and installing some amenities for my retirees (i'm thinking decorated open-air cafeteria, glass waterfall, and lighthouse tower).

Pics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)