Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: An honest-to-god SIMPLE idea for the dreaded minecarts  (Read 2406 times)

Joe-Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An honest-to-god SIMPLE idea for the dreaded minecarts
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:56:01 am »

Ok, I don't post here very often, but I did do a couple searches to find out if this had been suggested already.

...yeeah. This is another mine cart thread.

I think this idea is different, though. Sorry if it *does* turn out to be another sucky KARTS LOLOLOLOL thread.

Anyway, after thinking about it for about five minutes, it became readily apparent that mining carts, as they have been described EXTENSIVELY by others, are just too dang complicated to save you any time.

Oh ok so I mine some ore and then I melt it into bars and then lay those bars as rails? And then I build a cart out of wood + a mechanism...and then invent new code for moving vehicles, being run over, etc? Sounds like 3 peasants could have moved those stones for you while you were still designating the rails to be built. And guess what? Those three peasants will be able to move stones from OTHER LOCATIONS too! That cart you just poured your economy into is going to sit there, useless, unless you needed to move stone from point A to point B AGAIN.

No, no, no. We're thinking about mining carts the wrong way.

My idea is simple:

The "cart" doesn't run on rails. It has wheels that can work all by themselves. I don't know what the acceptable building materials for making a cart will be, or what workshop will produce them, that's irrelevant. Point is, you've got this new type of "furniture" called a Cart.

In order to use the cart, all you have to do is have a Miner go digging in a zone that has been designated for digging. He'll bring the cart along with him, and get to work. The cart wouldn't be so much a mining cart...as a shopping cart for stones. Basically, the cart is either on the tile behind him (As in, every time the miner takes a step, the cart moves into the space he was previously occupying) or on the same tile "under" him, and he mines as normal, but he dumps each stone he gets into the cart instead of letting it drop onto the floor like a douchebag.

When he's done mining (or the cart is full), he just leaves the cart there. Anyone with stone hauling enabled can drag it over to a stockpile and unload it; masons who need stone can walk over and dump it in their workshop, etc.

I would imagine the cart would only be allowed to hold 10 stones, or something like that, otherwise it would be too good. But, in the absence of any empty carts, miners would continue to dig normally. Maybe some system would have to be put in place to assign carts to specific miners, or to specific digging tasks.

Then again, a miner could just stop digging and grab a cart as soon as one becomes available. There could be an extremely simple weighting algorithm wherein the dorf actually checks to see if that would worth his while first (If X = distance to cart, and Y = the number of "dig" designated tiles within X units of the dorf, and X > Y, continue digging. Just for an example.).

tl;dr:

Carts are just Bins that accept stones. Miners carry them around and harvest rocks into them.

Again, sorry if this is just another idiot's thread. I just needed to get this idea out there.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An honest-to-god SIMPLE idea for the dreaded minecarts
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 02:37:40 am »

A very, very good idea if mined stone hindered movement, thus requiring stones to be quickly transported out of the mining tunnel so that digging could progress at a reasonable rate. However, this is not the case, but I suppose its still useful for minimizing clutter.

Otherwise, this cart system could be used for tasks other than mining, such as plant harvesting, woodcutting and mass transportation of goods between stockpiles.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:15:52 am »

It's all in the balancing. If dwarves carried rock much slower, then mine carts would be a lot more viable. Plus, why not have stone rails? I mean, come on, that has to be a ton of rubble dwarves are hauling. The main reason for putting in mine carts is realism, and it simply isn't realistic to have super-dwarves with gravity guns carrying whole piles of rubble around :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:31:39 am by RCIX »
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:41:48 am »

but i want to make roller coasters
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 08:57:05 am »

I believe you just described a wheelbarrow

Sfon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:41:27 am »

Instead of mine carts and wheelbarrows, could just have a generic cart. Would function like a bin, but for heavy/more objects.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:17:01 am »

Or you could have a pet donkey that helps you carry the heavy items. Train animal for hauling duty.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:10:55 pm »

Traditional carts
would be useful for long paths
often used by dwarves.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 01:04:07 pm »

Personally, I
am afraid of my fortress
having tons of rails:
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 01:46:50 pm »

Personally, I
am afraid of my fortress
having tons of rails:

Where did you get that?
It appears to be my mum's
OCD network
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 03:23:42 pm »

That screenshot is from Civilization 3 I think.

Tehran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Stories
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 04:16:29 pm »

That screenshot is from Civilization 3 I think.

Correct!
Civ 3  was kind of fun, but once you get too big, the only thing you ever do is telling your cities to build libraries and stuff. I wonder if civ 4 and 5 are any better.

Oh, and uh, back to the thread... I agree that rails should not be used - or perhaps they should be optional, and allow the cart to go faster. I also really like the idea of the cart being pulled behind a miner as (s)he works. That sounds fairly realistic.
Visit http://dfstories.com for stories!
And here's my solution for sand modeling: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=58397.0

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 04:22:55 pm »

Civ 4 is pretty cool, but very very different.  It took me a while to get used to the changes, and now I can't play Civ 2 or 3 anymore beacause of how different Civ 4 is.  Civ 5... no idea.

shoowop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »

Civ 4 is still rather tedious, combat is still boring as hell.  it's entertaining but the series as a whole refuses to achieve it's full potential

Civ 5 is gonna have a hex combat system, ranged combat, etc; not too mention tons of other features of course. lookin forward to it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:31:12 pm by shoowop »

Ghundio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 05:04:29 pm »

Civ 4 plus the mod Rise of Mankind has sucked hundreds of hours outta my life. That mod already added lots of the things the designers are putting into civ 5, except hex movement. Really really good, definatley worth the massive download. Back on topic, I like the minecart/wheelbarrow/portable stone bin idea. Seems simple enough.
Go into your stocks menu. You'll see a masterwork adamantine sword of some kind. Zoom to its location and you'll be directed to the bottom of the curious structure.

Go now and claim what is rightly yours. And watch out for the zombies.
Pages: [1] 2