Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What the Hell? [MAJOR SPOILERS!]  (Read 1874 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
What the Hell? [MAJOR SPOILERS!]
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:04:30 am »

So, in my current fort I dug too deep, foolishly thinking that the only way to breach hell was through either Adamantine Tubes or Demonic Fortresses. As the notification that I had done so popped up, I panicked and kamikaze'd one of my miners by designating the magma sea to be flooded into Hell, in the hopes that that would slow down my pursuers.

Only, upon resuming there did not appear to BE any pursuers. No notifications of horrible wailing, no demons flying around, and notable, no magma raining down into the underworld. It appears that the ramp i had designated ended up being unable to complete, as it was in semi-molten rock. The space immediately next to that one is a single tile of open space opening on hell itself. There exists no path of any kind to Hell.

Looking around, it appears that Hell is empty, or at least that any and all demons down there are still cloaked. If this is the case, am I doomed to experience death by FPS as the population of invisible demons eats away at my pathfinding? Has anyone experienced a situation similar to mine? I didn't even have to wall off Hell; there was never a valid path, so far as I can tell.

Domus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What the Hell? [MAJOR SPOILERS!]
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 12:29:41 am »

Only one way to find out. Draw straws and send the unlucky dwarf to his doom.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:43:00 am »

Hrm...

As far as I know, the only ways to breach hell IS through either the adamantine arteries or the demonic fortresses. So it appears what you've stumbled on is a glitch up in the world generation.

Also, I believe that demons don't spawn until you get the message of 'Horrible sounds from below!'
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:29:35 am »

Give them time--you are doomed!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 01:47:50 am »

Yeah, how did you breach hell?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 01:49:33 am »

What's wrong with you? You're Zeus, just put them in the same pit you stuck the Titans in.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 12:15:03 pm »

Dammit, now I want to throw visiting Titans into Hell...

I think I'll make a backup and try to deliberately breach hell, to see what happens. If Demons are not actually spawned until the "horrible sounds" message appears, then I'll just play out the fortress, even though I am already having serious misgivings about my design decisions.

If anyone wants the save to experiment for themselves, throw me a link to the upload site, as I am too lazy to seek it out myself.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 09:06:20 pm »

I'm trying my damndest to find the entrance to hell. Can't dig underneath z-28 on a perfectly flat region. That's where the impassable wall of semi-molten rock is. Which Z-level did you get it at? Do I have to dig into all the columns of rock?
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

Find adamantine.  It goes through the semi-molten rock and the magma sea.  Adamantine is much more common now.  There is also another feature that shows up rarely (as rare as adamantine used to be) and lets you enter through the third cavern layer.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 09:56:54 pm »

love your pun
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 10:46:28 pm »

That is an issue. I've tried digging right through the adamantine (4 separate veins), but after a while, the dwarves just refuse to dig any deeper, and ignore the dig command outright. One of them is about to be thrown out of the airlock.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:47:01 pm »

As I upload the save, it occurred to me that the first thing I should have done in the thread was take a couple of screenshots.

This is the level above where I designated my ramps. Note the position of the cursor, as it does not change as I go down zlvls. Spoiler'd for being stupidly large.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the level below that, on which hell is actually breached. Note the single tile of open space surrounded by semimolten rock, said open space NOT being under the cursor representing where the ramp had been designated and aborted.

This is the level below that one, Hell itself. Note how big and rectangley and full of glowing pits it is. You can't see it, but browsing throughout hell yields no demons, undead, or creatures of any sort visible.

I'll link the save when it finishes uploading (so very slowly...)

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:09:45 am »

I'd say you're safe. Because you didn't get there in the normal way, you didn't get the horrifying screams, so there are no demons. They aren't just invisible.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 01:13:59 am »

Built a fortress in hell. And then penetrate the blueness. Do this right and it could be extremely epic.
Pages: [1] 2