Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amusing Distractions  (Read 1710 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Amusing Distractions
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »

I was going through the traders' list of meats, being careful not to buy meat from any animals that my Dwarves aren't allowed to eat, when I was so distracted by the sight of Prepared Ant Brain for sale that I forgot to watch what I was marking after that and had to go back to check the list again.

I imagined a Waiterdwarf serving someone a speck on the tip of an upright needle inserted in a base of some tastefully decorated substance, with the enjoinder "Here's your ant brain, sir.  Be careful, it's hot."

:D :D :D

Maybe I should spend less time playing this game ...
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Amusing Distractions
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:29 pm »

You've noticed one of the outstanding bugs there.  You can purchase prepared organs for animals that really are far too small for that.  This includes insects, small lizards, and small rodents.

I'm just waiting for some merchant to offer Prepared Dwarf Intestines or Prepared Human Brains for trade.  It's bound to happen eventually.
Sanity is for the weak.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 12:15:35 am »

Maybe it was Antman brain? That would be reasonably sized, I'd think.

I'm just waiting for some merchant to offer Prepared Dwarf Intestines or Prepared Human Brains for trade.  It's bound to happen eventually.

They'll be eating magma-roasted Elf long before that happens.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 01:32:14 am »

You see, dwarves, as a whole, are extremely patient perfectionists. And what you're purchasing is a quantity of ant brains. Painstakingly hand-shelled by your local Urist and aggregated on a cracker like caviar.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:51:44 am »

Oh, I like all the funny body parts for sale.  It's a bit of a pain avoiding the barrels of blood for which I have not yet managed to devise a blood pudding reaction, but the rest are fun.  Monarch butterfly intestines, for instance.  Nano-sausages, anyone?  The ant brain (and yes, it was ant, and not antman) was just the tiniest thing I had seen to date.  A spoonful of them spread on a cracker would make sense.  I agree that any race who rushes to the depot carrying one ring in both hands is perfectly capable of collecting a spoonful of ant brains.   :D

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 08:50:08 am »

"How's the ant brain today, good sir?"
"Putrid, rotten, acidious, near invisible. Quite the catch, if you ask me"
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

leftycook

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 12:18:30 pm »

The ants must have the most frightening imagery of dwarves, as giant slow moving brain eating antkillers.

actually, if you could set an anthill to be harvested for 4000 ant brain, that'd be awesome.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 03:34:04 pm »

Freshwater or saltwater ants?   :P  One fortress which I gave up was an embark site posted not long ago.  It was located on the shore of a frozen body of water, with a submerged volcano.  The lag was horrible, which is why I gave it up and erased it.  But the relevance here is that there were ant hills on the ice, which became ant hills on the surface of the water when summer came.   :D

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 03:35:41 pm »

Freshwater or saltwater ants?   :P  One fortress which I gave up was an embark site posted not long ago.  It was located on the shore of a frozen body of water, with a submerged volcano.  The lag was horrible, which is why I gave it up and erased it.  But the relevance here is that there were ant hills on the ice, which became ant hills on the surface of the water when summer came.   :D

Pray to Armok they don't cross-breed with sharks.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

ghosteh

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Charles Bronson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »

Oh, I like all the funny body parts for sale.  It's a bit of a pain avoiding the barrels of blood for which I have not yet managed to devise a blood pudding reaction, but the rest are fun.  Monarch butterfly intestines, for instance.  Nano-sausages, anyone?  The ant brain (and yes, it was ant, and not antman) was just the tiniest thing I had seen to date.  A spoonful of them spread on a cracker would make sense.  I agree that any race who rushes to the depot carrying one ring in both hands is perfectly capable of collecting a spoonful of ant brains.   :D

Its one unit of ant brain, that is to say, enough ant brains to sustain a dwarf for about 4 months  = 1 unit of ant brain
I've killed enough humans to know their patterns.