Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DirtTowers, or The Outcast  (Read 4737 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
DirtTowers, or The Outcast
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:38:34 pm »

I'm still playing/writing as I go, so bear with me. (Bare with me? I'm not sure which spelling that uses). I will try my very best to update about once a day, maybe more if I find myself with a lot of free time.

Just a quick introduction:
Zas Lesastlolor, our intrepid hero, was a member of the Dwarven Founding Council- a body of the first eight dwarves, who founded the first dwarven cities. The other seven members would go on to populate the world with dwarves, and dwarven outposts, for thousands of years... but this story isn't about them, now is it? Once the other seven dwarves had embarked on their journey to the mountains, Zas found himself alone with naught but a single pick, a single axe, a camel, and a donkey. No food, no beer, nothing.

In our world, it is currently year 5. Zas and his seven fellow councildwarves are the first of their kind. Here's a look at Zas, before the story begins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any comments/suggestions, or really anything, are much appreciated.
Do you like it? Say so. I could use the self-confidence (who couldn't?).

Do you hate it? Well, keep that to yourself, unless you're willing to explain why. If there's some way I could improve my writing/storytelling, I'd love to know what it is.

Do I use too much italics? Or bold? Yeah, I know. I try to keep it to a minimum, but some still leaks through.

Do I use too many pictures? Or too much text, and not enough pictures? Or anything in-between? Yeah, probably.

Do you have any suggestions for Zas? Would you like to see him do X or build Y or kill Z or [insert verb here] Q? Tell me. A good 25% of the work is deciding what to have him do that would be interesting to watch.

Do I spend more time asking mostly rhetorical questions than I do writing the story? I get better about that, I swear.

(and before you ask, I picked Zas from my starting seven because his last name has "lol" right there in it.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:05:33 am by existent »
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: DirtTowers, or The Outcast
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:02:56 pm »

He'd known the other council members were idiots, but even HE was surprised at their decision.

"Mountains? Are they CRAZY? How, exactly, do they plan to survive in a MOUNTAIN? What are they going to eat? Rocks?"

He chuckled to himself at the thought of the other seven councildwarves, the great and mighty founding dwarves, reduced to a feast of dirt, with- if they were lucky- some sand mixed in.

Of course, the debate hadn't gone his way from the start. When he proposed a life in the soil layer, they practically kicked him out of the discussion. He'd never understood their obsession with rocks. You could do just as much with wood as you could do with stone, but the others didn't see it that way.

"Well," he thought, "it doesn't matter. They all left for their "mountainhomes", and since they weren't smart enough to stick with me, it won't be my fault when they all starve. For now, though... I could use something to eat."

Zas set about gathering some plants to eat. He didn't have much experience with plants and herbs, but as he picked the berries and leaves of the shrubs around him he wondered why none of them were ever poisonous. Nevertheless, he kept at it, until he had cleared a sizeable area.

"Alright... now, let's cut down a tree or two, and see if we can't make a half-decent barrel to put some booze in. It's been ages since I had a good drink."

Zas had always been the strongest member of the council, and he had no apparent trouble chopping a handful of trees down to a more dwarfy size. He had a bit more difficulty actually constructing the barrel, but a barrel is a fairly simple enough object, and he had one built before he knew it.

"I wouldn't want to live in it, but it should hold some beer well enough. Now, to make the actual beer..... I don't have a single clue how beer is made, come to think of it. I know it involves leaves, so, I guess I'll take some of these, and then...."

With a barrel full of what Zas hoped was beer, he leaned over and took a deep swig.

"Sppppfffff- Blech! I'm not sure what to call this, but beer is a helluva lot nicer than the word I'd use."

Either way, Zas was thirsty, and the spring thaw hadn't yet melted the frozen pond nearby, so he didn't have much of a choice. The next thing to do, Zas decided, was to get underground. Zas grabbed his pick, and struck the frozen earth.

Zas had a long road ahead of him- "But not as long as the road the council has to take to get to the mountains!"- but he was strong, confident, and, most importantly, was not about to let the councildwarves prove him wrong. He would survive- no, thrive- and THEY would wither and die in their precious mountains, with him laughing all the while.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:26:39 pm by existent »

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:30:32 am »

make a shack out of wood with a bed in it

EDIT: and btw this is like a hermit challenge

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »

make a shack out of wood with a bed in it

EDIT: and btw this is like a hermit challenge
Actually, Zas has got a nice little home constructed for himself. You'll see that whenever I get a chance to post the next update, which will end up being later today.

And yeah, I thought it would be fun to try a hermit fortress, and I also thought it would be fun to write a story, so, here we are. I haven't decided what I'm going to do when migrants start arriving...

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:50:47 pm »

levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls!
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:45 pm »

levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! levers! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls! falls!
Ugh. This is a good idea. There's a brook maybe 20 tiles from Zas' current dwelling. I'm going to make a not-so-mental note of that one.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 01:41:07 pm »

"And.... there. A home fit for a king."

Zas had been busy- he now had not only a bed to sleep on, but a table- and chair!- in his very own dining room. The only thing that was missing was some real food. Zas had never been afraid to roll up his sleeves, but farming was perhaps outside his reach. Instead, he decided that the mule he'd tamed was looking quite tasty.

Butchering the mule left him with enough food for maybe 20 meals, he guessed. He sat down to make another batch of the "beer" he was rapidly learning to tolerate, as well as another barrel to put it in, and got to thinking.

Sooner or later, he'd have to deal with the others. Either they'd realize their mistake, and coming running back to him, or they....
Might. Actually. Survive.

If that happened, they'd come back to laugh at him. He knew it. That was their way, always trying to put Zas down, because deep down they all knew that he was better than them. Well, he'd just have to prove it. Not only would they come back to find Zas alive and well, they'd find him alive and well, living in the shadow of a massive monument to.... well, a giant SOMETHING. Something that would blow them away.

A project that impressive would take a lot of work. Zas knew this.

It would take a lot of time. Zas knew this.

It probably couldn't be done, least of all by a single dwarf. Zas knew this.

It would probably end up getting Zas killed, or worse. That was the part he didn't know.

-----
I decided to break this update in half, and I'll be posting the other half later tonight, most likely.

What do you guys think about the length of the updates? More, smaller updates? Fewer, but longer? Or keep it about as it is?
Also, should I crop the images down further? I've been wondering about that.

-Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 04:38:52 pm by existent »

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »

Zas started spending all of his time either chopping down trees, foraging for food, or making more "Lesastlolor's Brew". He was growing to like the taste of it.

Meanwhile, Summer had arrived. Zas figured that meant the others had arrived at the mountains. If they sent someone back right now, he'd arrive by late summer, but Zas estimated nobody would come back until at least late autumn. Even the idiots that made up the council weren't so stupid as to send someone to come back and insult him before they'd even started stockpiling food for the winter.

"Unholy Armok do these shrubs grow back fast!"

Zas knew that there was no way to have his dream realized before autumn. He'd be lucky to even START by then. He'd have to deal with the others some other way when they arrived, and then have the statue ready by the next time they send someone out.

He had to come up with something good, in the meantime. Something dramatic. Filled with a sudden renewed vigor, Zas put every ounce of energy in his body to work. Preparing for the councildwarves was all he could think about. He couldn't help but imagine their faces when they see what he has in store. The thought was enough to make him smile.

Gathering all his strength, Zas was focused more than ever on his task. He leaped up from where he had been sitting, and

... took a break.

Wait, what? Zas!

"Abu-wha??"

What are you doing?!?!

"I, er- I was just, umm- you know- sitting around, I guess. Uhh.... Why?"

It's out of character! You're supposed to be obsessed!

"I'm exhausted! You've had me doing nothing but chopping down trees since Spring!"

So? You're supposed to be incredibly strong! Stop breaking character!

"You're the one breaking the fourth wall!"

So what? I'm the writer! I do what I want!

"FINE! But don't come crying to me when you end up with a horrid story where nothing happens except trees get cut down! The Elves are gonna have a /ifield day with that one!" *Grumble mumble grumble*

-----

Sorry about that. We'll get back on track for the next update, I promise.

Which, by the way, I've already written. I haven't decided how long to hold onto it before I post it, but it'll probably be about this time tomorrow. It's a good one, filled with dwarfy shenanigans, but it's also a little on the short side... but I probably won't bother adding on to it anymore. I'll start working again tonight. (I stay up pretty late.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 09:58:33 pm by existent »

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

Its great. I'm enjoying your writing very much.

I think the bold/italics use is fine. What I'm wondering is if you are expecting immigrants?
Meowth! That's right!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 12:03:38 am »

Its great. I'm enjoying your writing very much.

I think the bold/italics use is fine. What I'm wondering is if you are expecting immigrants?

At some point immigrants are bound to arrive, eh? I'm not 100% sure how to deal with them quite yet...

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:33:09 am »

You could wall yourself off and not allow any of them in, but have the build around you.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 12:53:20 am »

"Mountains? Are they CRAZY? How, exactly, do they plan to survive in a MOUNTAIN? What are they going to eat? Rocks?"

Mmmmm, Rocks.

Sounds like a cool challenge, keep it up! ^^.

You could push the immigrants off into their own sector of the map where they fort up on their own while your hermit stays hermit.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 10:52:23 am »

Possibility:

migrants = children of 7 mountain dwarfs attempting to escape the lack of success in the mountains. Not the actual 7, because they are too closed minded to actually leave the mountain.

Meowth! That's right!

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »

Possibility:

migrants = children of 7 mountain dwarfs attempting to escape the lack of success in the mountains. Not the actual 7, because they are too closed minded to actually leave the mountain.
Well, I've written a couple updates ahead at this point, so here's the gist:
When the migrant wave arrives, I've decided that it's two of the original councildwarves, come back to reclaim that nice pick they left behind, as well as 3 other dwarves that I haven't decided how to ret-con yet.

Also, I love that they've had children in the 6 months since they left, who are now adults  ???
Dwarven life-cycles, man. They're a mystery.

The two-fortress idea kinda intrigues me, but... I dunno. It's going to come down to a heat of the moment decision, most likely.

Well, as heat of the moment as a game that you can pause gets.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 03:26:56 pm »

Use this solution Magma + (Any Creature/Material) = Problem Solved

Why not have 1 Main fortress and the wise old man living in the woods (Lone Dwarf)
Pages: [1] 2 3