Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A bug, or am I just unlucky?  (Read 1402 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
A bug, or am I just unlucky?
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:52:24 pm »

Bloodthorns are the only plant that grows in the underground for some reason. I'm in a temperate, neutral biome with only one cavern layer.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A bug, or am I just unlucky?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 06:15:53 pm »

That is a bug. I get all kinds of plants all the time.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 06:26:43 pm »

strange, but it's actually pretty, all that red... of all the plants, you ended up with the awesomest.
is there any animal life down there? i'm guessing no, from the lack of spider webs.

embark somewhere else to see if that keeps happening, gen a new world and report back, i'm curious

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 06:33:15 pm »

There are webs, but I just finished exploring the cavern, all plant life is bloodthorns. Also, there are no signs of any animal life whatsoever beyond the few scattered webs.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »

This has happened to me too, although in my blood cavern it had an exposed vein of Fun-ite.

I'd like to think of it as a feature, having a cavern with only bloodthorns in it makes it seem more... atmospheric. Creepy-like.

The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 06:36:46 pm »

I don't think it's a bug, when there's less then three cavern layers the bottom one's trees are randomized.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 06:38:46 pm »

webs: regular or GCS?

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 06:50:54 pm »

I looked in the caverns of an embark half a world away, same result:

Also, I have both regular and giant cave spider webs.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 06:53:57 pm »

but still no troggos and dralta, eh? i also gen my worlds with just one cavern layer for fps sake and never got that :\ try a regen

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 06:56:41 pm »

Your world has been truly blessed by Armok.  You must dedicate temples bathed in blood honoring him in the bloodied caverns of every fort you settle.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 10:03:40 pm »

The reason I say I'm unlucky is because I have no plump helmets, and neither does my main civ. I've had to rely on *shudder* surface plants for easy food.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »

The thing with the blood thorns is completely normal. That particular cavern level has no pools of water. Only blood thorns grow in levels without water. I think.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:05:44 pm »

weren't giant thorn plants the only thing that grew in Mordor too?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Joe-Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »

Well, I just explored into a cavern that was totally devoid of any plantlife whatsoever, so I'm afraid I have to rule out "unlucky" for you :P

Although, newbie that I am, what *are* bloodthorns? Are they just useless shrubs? Trees that you can't make lumber out of?

Also, I managed to lose all my sweet pod seeds from embark due to a farming mishap, but traded for them from the next dwarven caravan. You say your main civ doesn't have them? Is that even possible? I wonder if setting Plump Helmet Spawn to maximum priority next time the liaison meets with you will cause them to import some from somewhere else, since they know they have a prospective buyer who'll pay top dollar...

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:36 pm »

If the cavern layers are disabled or very small, the plants which grow in them won't exist, so your home civ won't have seen them and definitely won't stock them. Think about it: if there are no caverns, where do plump helmets exist in your world?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.
Pages: [1] 2