Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: What do you do with YOUR nickel?  (Read 8122 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with YOUR nickel?
« on: July 02, 2010, 02:55:34 pm »

Right now, I have nearly 1900 nickel bars in my stockpiles, 680 nickel bins, and 700 nickel barrels.  All of the basic furniture is carved from marble - graves, residences, barracks, hospital, all of it.  The main dining room has silver tables and chairs.  The dungeon has golden chains (because anyone that disrespects the nobles is treated like a king in this fort).  I still have several hundred brass, silver, and gold crafts, and I don't know how many copper crafts available for trade.

What do I do with all of this excess metal?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: What do you do with YOUR nickel?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56:42 pm »

Megaconstruction...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »

Yeah, time for a giant nickel robot.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:06:03 pm »

Make a giant nickle with Urist Jefferson on one side and a castle on the back.

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 03:08:29 pm »

Never make nickel bars, as its pretty useless I think.
Keep the ore as it is the ONLY thing you can build with that is light green.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 03:16:58 pm »

Decorate everything with nickel.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:20:55 pm »

Build a giant nickel disk platform on a lever-controlled support.  Use it to crush an invasion, or a noble you don't like.  Name the dwarf who pulls the lever "Two-face".  Bonus points if all his body parts and limbs on one side of his body are scarred.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 03:31:57 pm »

train up some weaponsmiths by making countless +Enourmous Serrated Nickel Disks+ and line every corridor with dozens of them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 03:54:49 pm »

I use my waste metals for bins; unlike barrels and cages they don't need to be moved around much, so the heavy weight is not so bad.  THen again, if you have that many bars, you probably already have all the bins you need.

Megaproject then.  Or, you could cover the entire ground level map outside your fortress with nickel by making paved roads everywhere?  (less tedious than floors?)

Snail Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:58:41 pm »

You should make a hundred thousand nickel coins.
Then whenever you need to get something from the traders, pay for it exclusively in these nickel coins.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:08 pm »

Make an arena entirely out of nickel, and call it "Nickelodeon."

*Rimshot*
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 04:03:30 pm »

Megaconstruction...
I have one temple made from about 280 marble blocks, 20 gold blocks, with 48 faint yellow diamonds as window decoration, a second made with 32 gold blocks, 20 silver blocks, and 520 marble blocks, and a third (small) temple made with 32 marble blocks, 44 gold blocks, and 8 silver blocks, and a grand road lined with columns made from 230 marble blocks, with a gold statue standing on each of the 36 columns.  This is in addition to a 183x4 tile wide wall of solid marble blocks, with a second and third story that are hollowed out to support troops, AND a 12x12, four-story guard tower made from solid gold, doors and all.  The common tombs consists of about 550 marble coffins arranged in a spiral pattern, and a small faux-human town outside the gates that's taken nearly 800 logs (all coming from the surface, for that authentic feel).  Almost every dwarven dwelling has two marble cabinets, chairs, a table, and a coffer.  The dining room has silver furniture, the dungeon is filled with gold chains, and the personal tombs all use whichever metal that noble prefers.

And I still have more marble available than I do nickel and it's every bit as valuable (moreso since it can be used as flux), plus several hundred more gold bars/blocks should I feel the urge to build another monument on the surface.  There are better materials to use for megaconstructions.

I suppose I'll just make more bins and then convert all of my remaining marble into blocks to be hauled away by adventurer for later constructions.  But I do like the Two-Face idea, although Two-Face is usually depicted as using a silver dollar as his coin of choice, which are made of...  well, silver.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 04:06:59 pm »

I'm making a to scale USS Enterprise from the 2009 movie. For it's base, which isn't even part of the ship, I used now over 16000 granite stones. I have only a half of the saucer done.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »

What, with like interior rooms, etc.?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 04:10:45 pm »

It's going to have rooms and everything. It's going to take forever. I even modded in Duranium. I was going to add tritanium, but it never says it's used for the whole ship.

Anyways...

I plan on having waterworks and lava (for the nacelles and reactor most likely), engineering, medical, the bridge, etc, etc, etc.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4