Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generating beyond normal paramaters?  (Read 625 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Generating beyond normal paramaters?
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »

When you open up DF, you can mess with the settings of the world you want to generate. For example, you can increase the minimum elevation on the map. However, there are limits in what you can set these to. You can also close DF, open up the init file, and mess with the settings there. My question is thus:

Will changing the settings in the init file beyond their normal limits work?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Generating beyond normal paramaters?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

not through the init file, but it could be possible that entering a custom size in the world_gen.txt would work. I know that editing memory works for certain.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

Yeah, you can mess with the world_gen file to get parameters beyond the normal limits. I've seen people do that before.

Mind you, setting them TOO high beyond the normal limits can cause crashes, or rejects for reasons that don't make sense (like rejecting a world for not having enough grassland tiles when the minimum is set to 0, because you overclocked the elevation variances. True story). I suspect this is because there's a hard cap due to binary numbers and powers of two and whatnot.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

It will always force the map dimensions to one of the (nearest?) required (2^[4-8]+1) sizes. No idea about any of the other settings though :).

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »

Maximum subregions I know can be set higher then the max, because the world I'm currently on was rejected for having more than 5000 subregions, so I edited the world gen file and made the limit higher than the max.  And it worked fine.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 05:04:23 pm »

It appears Z-levels above gound will not be successful. A shame, as that was my main paramater of interest.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 11:40:02 am »

There's always also Perfect world DF:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57428.0
Which can help you make the exact worlds that you want.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »

It appears that perfect world, though useful, will not accept paramaters that are too high/low, so it's not much good on that front.