Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Project; The Big Beardy Buddha  (Read 1121 times)

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
Project; The Big Beardy Buddha
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:29:32 am »

Rather than bump the old monastery challenge thread, I'll make a new one for the centrepiece of my monastery.

The plan: Build a gigantic Laughing Buddha. (Actual size undecided) Out of the most valuable material available. (Looks like iron in my current fort.... At least without mining the caverns, and none of my monks know how to fight.)

Hints and tips on the engineering, and suggestions for it, please. As this will be my biggest project ever.

EDIT: Which is easiest in terms of engineering? A reclining, sitting, or standing statue?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:42:43 am by BladeBerserker »
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Project; The Big Beardy Buddha
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:02 am »

I would think the sitting buddha would be easiest, smaller ground area than reclining, lower height than standing.

and yeah, pics when you've finished ;)

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 11:03:27 am »

Looks like I'll finally be getting stonesense or something...

Provided I don't get frustrated and knock the whole thing down on top of my workers then take out the monastery.
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

plan ahead for FPS killers. make sure you can completely stop and drain any liquids (or get them flat at any depth), make sure you keep good control of tame animals, and try to keep the pathing efficient. possibly lower your dwarf max population and/or set them to speed:0.

any large construction is going to need a lot of resources and active dwarfs, both of those are FPS killers ;)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:16:50 pm »

Neat idea, I've not tried to build any statues yet the design side of it seems a little daunting. To help with design and getting to know how it would look in 3D I recommend Cube Kingdom, it's Japanese but most buttons have straightforward pictures so it's really easy to use.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:50 pm »

why has nobody mention roblox?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:51:32 pm »

I'll have a squiz at Cube Kingdom. I'm planning on copying my own tiny Buddha. Saves me effort.

My pop cap is 40, all of whom will work on it except the food/booze machine. Invaders are off. I still have to dig around and try to find a material better than Iron though. At this rate I'll end up using Kaolinite.

Oh and could someone link me to stonesense please?

EDIT: Before I start building I'm levelling the map so I have more space to work in/ choose from
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:40:44 pm by BladeBerserker »