Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crutches?  (Read 6035 times)

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crutches?
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:00:38 am »

I've got a dwarf in my fort whose left foot was taken off by a Kobold. She's alive (and surprisingly ecstatic despite her serious wound), but she just lays in the hospital all day everyday. Do crutches not work, or something? My hospital has a full supply of crutches but the dwarf hasn't been given one or anything.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
Re: Crutches?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:11:28 am »

Has she been diagnosed and treated?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Briggs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:23:56 am »

Well, when she first was hurt she was left out in the open for a while (long enough that I built a hut around her to keep her out of the rain). Eventually, she was carried to the hospital and I assume diagnosis was done since she no longer has the 'Diagnosis Requested' tag in her line on the Health screen under Status. So, I assume she has. By the time I'd noticed she wasn't in her hut anymore, she was already in the hospital 'Rest'ing.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:32:26 am »

The diagnosis needs to include a prescription for crutches. If the diagnosing doctor borks it up you have a bed dweller for the rest of their life and without giving the dwarf a new injury you can't get a second opinion. Since I've been unable to pull that off I don't even know if it'd work for an old injury.

moosecow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:41 am »

I've been having the same problem. Time to built a ballista in the hospital for science.  :D

edit: sadly, they seem to be immune to ballista fire in this state.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:00:13 am by moosecow »

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:02:04 am »

That's 'cause they are lying.

Gust drop a block of ceiling near the patient. (Just not ON the patient)
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:30 am »

The diagnosis needs to include a prescription for crutches. If the diagnosing doctor borks it up you have a bed dweller for the rest of their life and without giving the dwarf a new injury you can't get a second opinion. Since I've been unable to pull that off I don't even know if it'd work for an old injury.
"MY FOOT GOT CUT OFF PLEASE BANDAGE IT UP PLEASE OH GOD IT HURTS"
"Nah, you look fine. I don't see anything wrong with you.

Yep, this is dwarf fortress
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 02:15:42 am »

Sigged  :D
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 02:50:13 am »

Sigged  :D
No fair! I wanted it! :p
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 03:22:53 am »

So that explains it...

Two dorfs in my old fort took light foot wounds, never did improve.  One of them limped around until she succumbed to infection, the other lay in bed until she went from "very strong" to "unbelievably weak" over the course of a few years.

Neither of them seemed to mind much, though.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 04:34:21 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=681 0000681: Legless/footless dwarfs are ignored by healthcare

It's on the fix list.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:40 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=681 0000681: Legless/footless dwarfs are ignored by healthcare

It's on the fix list.

but..but..i have a dwarf that only had a minor leg wound, doctors fixed it up quite a bit,but the health screen said he got sensory damage, hasnt walked in 5 years..
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:34:16 am »

It's on the fix list.
Then I wonder if Diagnosing is supposed to be a skill-modified task or not. That was the assumption some of us seemed to have when diagnosers would fail to prescribe casts and splints and crutches even though those were available in the hospital and we know that suturing, setting, and surgery are all intended to be skill-modified.

It might be both: diagnosing can go wrong, but there's a bug where crutches are never prescribed, ever.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 10:49:43 am »

has anyones dwarves with missing body parts stay dark grey? The way Toady removed phantom pains was by making the wound "vanish" from the wound menu, like a missing foot would stay dark grey for a bit, then "left foot" would vanish from the wound menu, I think this ends up confusing the doctors (his left foot isnt dark grey, in fact I cant find it, dwarves must not be born with left feet, no crutches for you!)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:42:00 pm »

oooooh so thats why I still have three dwarves in bed, being injured for 2 years. dropping ceilings now...
Pages: [1] 2