Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Out of boredom and such...  (Read 1447 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Out of boredom and such...
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:44:00 pm »

I've been playing a lot of minecraft lately and am always having fun with that. When I stop wanting to play DF that is...

Anyways...

I've been wanting to make a USS Enterprise, to scale (preferably) and was getting to thinking...

Height and width isn't the problem here... the length is.

760 meters according to one website (this is the 'new' enterprise from the 'new' movie). If my knowledge serves me right a single embark tile is 48x48 ingame tiles large. (if I go with the logic of 1 tile is 1 meter wide) I'm look at a 16 embark tile length area...

So opinions, do I go with it or is there some changes anyone would care to throw in?

Is a tile considered amongst all of use 1 meter (height probably being 2 meters, but I'd be fine with 1)

Sorry this is all kinds of scattered, hope you understand what I'm getting at.

At the bottom of this page is the length width and height numbers I'm going with...

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28alternate_reality%29
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: Out of boredom and such...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:52:39 pm »

Most people (including myself) tend to find one tile as 5m^3 or so, so if you do it that way you'll get a more reasonable embark size.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:53:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I say do it. But if you assume every tile is 2 meters, that halves the size your map has to be, or if 3, that's one third, and with a project like that I suggest doing everything you can to increase FPS.

edit: ninja'd.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 06:02:38 pm »

Well hmmm I guess it's all really up in the air. I don't know about the whole 5x5x5, partly because not all hallways were that big on the enterprise, I may just go with 2 meters seems to be average room/hallway height... If I go with 2 meters per tile that'll take it down to 8 embark tiles which is way more playable.

Alright well I guess I'll have to keep you guys up to date when I start work on it. :D I may just have to make special tiles for the metal and such haha.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 08:05:30 pm »

5 cubic meter is not 5x5x5. Thats 25 cubic meter.

Tile dimensions are very arbitrary though. I Immagine they are about 1,5x1,5x2 (4.5m^3). More just seems to make furniture realy far apart (or realy large).

It would also just make my miserable 1x2 rooms too spacious hehe.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:09:53 pm »

I'm going with tiles bet 2x2x2 cause that makes, making the enterprise way easier than complicating it any more. Wish I could find a good series of pictures of the enterprises layout.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:40:27 pm »

Internal or external? If it's external you want, I have some "blueprints" that were realeased as a tie-in for the first movie (The Motion Picture).

The dimensions they give are:
("Beam" is the width as seen from the bow. "Draft" is the tob-to bottom distance)
Overall:
length: 304.8m
draft:   71.3m
Beam: 141.7m

Saucer:
Length: 146.3m
draft: 32.9m
beam: 141.7m

Engineering Hull
Length: 121m
Draft: 47.5m
Beam: 32.9m

Nacelles
Length: 154.8m
Draft: 18.3m
Beam: 12.6m
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:41:25 pm »

It's inside stuff that I need. Like the layouts of the engineering bay and the shuttle bay and the saucer, etc.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:45:15 pm »

Ah. All I have is the bridge, and that's useless if you're going with the 2009 version.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »

2009 version, I've seen a lot of old movie enterprise mock ups and I like the way the new one looks. It looks futuristic.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:40:17 am »

Any tile on your map is large enough to contain every single item, animal and person of your map in it at once.
At the same time, however, it can never contain even a single wagon or workshop.

I say a lifesized model of the USS Enterprise may very well fit into a single tile, as we do not have appropriate workshops (the only thing that might impose a size larger than 1x1) for engines etc at this time.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:22:57 pm »

I don't get your point Lord Snow...

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 01:36:27 pm »

The tiles in DF are such that you could fit 1000 bronze colossi in one square, so long as 999 are laying down.
This quote (that I can't remember the source of) sums it up nicely.
A creature the size of Europe could only fit in one tile.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 01:43:37 pm »

Well, I know that, but his point... just that the ship could "technically" fit in a single tile.

I guess the question from my side is, how would that make it a mega project?

I'm quite excited to see how it's going to turn out. I needed an embark rectangle of 9x5 just to fit it.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 01:46:09 pm »

For those who want to follow the story telling...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=60599.0

is the thread that I'm posting it in.

Pages: [1] 2