Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Roger Ebert Changes His Stance  (Read 7803 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Roger Ebert Changes His Stance
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:28:24 am »

You might all remember this post by Roger Ebert: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

Well, it looks like there's been a change of heart from Ebert, or at least an attempt at damage control: http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/07/okay_kids_play_on_my_lawn.html

Brian Ashcroft's take, on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5577090/roger-ebert-admits-his-mistake?skyline=true&s=i

I am unsure of what to think. My cynical side just wants to dismiss this as a attempt to be left alone, but he does seem somewhat apologetic. Kinda.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:04:14 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Ebert Changes His Stance
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:48:06 am »

Yet I declared as an axiom that video games can never be Art. I still believe this, but I should never have said so. Some opinions are best kept to yourself.
I'm pretty sure he just wants to be left alone now.  Something about his article is driving me nuts though... maybe the random screenshots he doesn't discuss at all?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:28 am »

ROGER.  It's ROGER Ebert.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 09:59:06 am »

I don't quite care what R. E. has to say regarding video games being art. Almost do, though!
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:51 am »

ROGER.  It's ROGER Ebert.

Oh dear, it seems I went stupid when making the thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Roger Ebert Changes His Stance
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 03:12:50 pm »

He's just giving up. His series of screenshots from random first person shooters (which, at a glance, look like the VG industry's answer to exploitation horror films) indicates his viewpoint hasn't shifted at all.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 03:18:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure he just wants to be left alone now.

Yup. And video gamers feel the same way. If he doesn't play and review them, he was just asking for trouble making broad statements like that in the first place. I'm sure he'll be quite happy to get a horde of angry nerds off his ass.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 03:22:16 pm »

He's just giving up. His series of screenshots from random first person shooters (which, at a glance, look like the VG industry's answer to exploitation horror films) indicates his viewpoint hasn't shifted at all.

It was all from Jericho, and he had a video from Jericho and one from Undying at the bottom of the page.  And while I wouldn't go as far as exploitation horror films, Jericho's environments did look like, to paraphrase Yahtzee, the contents of an abattoir slop-bucket.
Shoes...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:23:27 pm »

I took offense to his overgeneralization of what art is, as a student of drama.

Just think, without me, there would only be 4,546 comments!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »

Okay, I was being snarky. I imagine Baker would be the first to agree his example of Romeo and Juliet was not an ideal one. Sooner later these arguments all get around to Shakespeare, and have a way of running aground on him. If I could save the works of Shakespeare by sacrificing all the video games in existence, I would do it without a moment's hesitation. I suspect Clive Barker would, too.
I wouldn't. I'd sacrifice some, but all the video games in existence for Shakespeare?

He really doesn't get it though, while at the same time understanding.

Video Games are art like a team of football players are art. The input is given and subjected to the whims of individuals to create an experience that is solely unique.

He talks about cheapening the experience by being able to experience all kinds of emotional reactions, but no matter how many times I replay Dwarf Fortress, there is always something I feel guilty about. It may not be Toady's Vision to inspire that emotional reaction to him, it is really beyond his control. It does provide insight into myself. The Mona Lisa? I have no clue what it inspired in me, it hasn't done nothing for me in years.
I still get a sense of accomplishment out of getting out of Purgatory in Dragon wars though, and that was one of the first video games I ever played.

Are Video Games art? Is a touchdown art? No, It isn't. It's an experience. The title of "Art" is unworthy of what games do for humanity.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »

He should really try a few family friendly games already... heck there's even Veggie Tales and Bible games.  They may not be art, but at least they aren't obscene violence.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:40 pm »

He ought to play a Team Ico game, really.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:36 pm »

I need to stop calling this guy Roger Egbert, but I really can't do that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:48:42 pm »

I liked the time the Guardian ran an image of Assassin's Creed with the caption "Many of the biggest games on the Xbox, such as Assassin's Creed, are first person shooters..."

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 03:50:47 pm »

He should really try a few family friendly games already... heck there's even Veggie Tales and Bible games.  They may not be art, but at least they aren't obscene violence.

Actually, no. He should play Grand Theft Auto 4.

And when he is done, he should be questioned on all his actions. Get him to evaluate his feelings.

The fact that he would have any at all (and it is assured he would if he played to completion) would prove as I said.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7