Cheese
- 4 (25%)
Phillips Screwdriver
- 6 (37.5%)
Marshmallow
- 6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Multiplayer Hive Mind Game - Turn 0  (Read 10913 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Hive Mind Game - concept
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 09:09:57 am »

@RAM and Omagaalpha: I like RAM's idea there, and I think it ties in quite well with Omaga's. Lets say a 5% increase in total biomass so long as there are spare calories left over. Seems fair enough.

Also, a bit of info about the quadrants that I'll add to the main post:

The 2 tech level 4 civs are at war, With one being in Quadrant Alpha and Delta and the other in Alpha, Beta and Gamma. They each have 'vassels', which are most of the tech level 3 civs, and they both lay claim to most of the tech level 2 once they progres further. The tech level 0 and 1 civs are usually ignored, although a few have been assimilated.

omagaalpha

• Bay Watcher
  • positve infinite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 09:47:44 am »

I like percent bonus idea.

"DNA can be combined to create blueprints for creatures, upgrades and even new DNA"
To me this statement seem too generalize. I think need to be little bit more specifically likemaybe rules when doing it and how does combine work exactly?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:12:50 am by omagaalpha »
Quote from: Jetsquirrel
Announce that i saw the whole creation of hte universe! and hold the monolith again
|The monolith is alive! And seemingly annoyed by your hugs. Or maybe static electricity of some kind that for some reason didn’t hit you last time.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 09:58:32 am »

I think the % increase sounds like a good idea!

Also, have some realistic gestation/growth periods. So you can't just massively explode populations in a day because you have biomass. You could also have so that some creatures can't be made adult size instantly by simply grows continually and no biomass in the world will make it faster, making old such creatures irreplaceable. A biology isn't a factory, it's a farm.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 10:15:20 am »

@Omaga: In the old Hive mind game it was possible to take DNA form different places and combine them, for example the Snork tail DNA with the Triffid Vines made leaves. I intend the DNA combining to be fairly freeform, as I want the players imagination's to be the limits to what they can create with their collected DNA, not the rules that are put in place.

@Armok: I will be using gestation periods, which basically follows the rule of bigger = longer but will be partially based on the 'actual' gestation period for an organism of that type. Also from what I know of biology (GCSE) I was under the impression that the onlyreason why animals weren't born at their adult size is because the mother would be unable to support them once they get too big. To me, the hive mind would use biology more like a factory than a farm, although truly huge organisms would have to grow outside of the 'womb'.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 10:22:53 am »

:o I created a game SYSTEM! Holy crap  :P

May i join in and  see the other side of the game?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 10:29:41 am »

Players:
Maxicaxi
Armok
RAM
Omagaalpha
techno65535
Toaster
Ghazkull

That's 7, so if anyone is desperate I have space for one more. I would also make a poll, if I knew how. (hint hint) Found it!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:36:52 am by Kashyyk »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Hive Mind Game - One space left
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 10:50:49 am »

I am in. Yes if you want that is.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:06 am »

@Armok: I will be using gestation periods, which basically follows the rule of bigger = longer but will be partially based on the 'actual' gestation period for an organism of that type. Also from what I know of biology (GCSE) I was under the impression that the onlyreason why animals weren't born at their adult size is because the mother would be unable to support them once they get too big. To me, the hive mind would use biology more like a factory than a farm, although truly huge organisms would have to grow outside of the 'womb'.
I guess that works, but remember to base the growth time of the thing actualy coming out of it. so a thing the size of a human INFANT might take 9 months, and growing an adult human would take as long as the gestation period of somehting that withghts as much as an adult human on birth.

Oh, also, in many ways there is no difference betwen growing in an egg, a pupa, in an womb, or a new organ growing out of an existing body. The womb is really just for protection and keeping the enviroment right.

Oh, and pherhaps the most importnant thing! Genes are not blueprints, they are recepies. Genes code for proteins, and for procedural generation methods, wich basicaly can be treated as tissue types for the sake of the game. having the hivemind make chimeras is not realistic, there are really only two alternatives:
 - it can't really make anything morpologicaly much different from one specific orgin species. Proportions can be changed, but will probably end up as just deformities. No ading wings to somehting that didn't have them before.
 - tissues can be shaped like clay, maybe quite literaly, there is nothing stoping anyone from making gearwheels out of bone.

((sorry for the spelling, my spellcheck broke down so I can't fix it right now.))
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiplayer Hive Mind Game - FULL
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2010, 11:50:43 am »

Iguess that works, but remember to base the growth time of the thing actualy coming out of it. so a thing the size of a human INFANT might take 9 months, and growing an adult human would take as long as the gestation period of somehting that withghts as much as an adult human on birth.

That's what I am aiming for yes, I'm tempted to make the actual gestation shorter because I don't want to force the player to wait for a huge amount of time to actually grow something at any useful size. Although with the Calorie Upkeep, that long might be needed to get together enough biomass.

Oh, also, in many ways there is no difference betwen growing in an egg, a pupa, in an womb, or a new organ growing out of an existing body. The womb is really just for protection and keeping the enviroment right.

You're right there, and that is starting to enter into some of the stuff that I want the players to potentially use to thier advantage.

Oh, and pherhaps the most importnant thing! Genes are not blueprints, they are recepies. Genes code for proteins, and for procedural generation methods, wich basicaly can be treated as tissue types for the sake of the game. having the hivemind make chimeras is not realistic, there are really only two alternatives:
 - it can't really make anything morpologicaly much different from one specific orgin species. Proportions can be changed, but will probably end up as just deformities. No ading wings to somehting that didn't have them before.
 - tissues can be shaped like clay, maybe quite literaly, there is nothing stoping anyone from making gearwheels out of bone.

Again, you are right. Although I'd say that DNA and genes are more ingredients which you put together to make your 'recipe'. personally, I think that the players should be able to make anything, with the right DNA. thus you can't put insect wings on a bear and hope it will fly, but if you can find a creature that has both wings and forelimbs then you might be able to make your flying bear cavalry.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

no, thats exactly how it DOSN'T work. By the way, you cant even make things smaller or larger withoute prohibitive pentalies, due to the surface-volume relationship. Either you're stuck with bears, or you can make a furry bird from nothing but pure bear DNA.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »

Yes, but one will just break the game, and the other would make the game pointless. Thus we are forced to use DNA/Gene splicing to get anywhere. Anyway, Humans have managed to do it, On a small scale admitedly, but it proves it can be done. (Creating Insulin in bacteria and the like)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2010, 12:43:36 pm »

Can I join?

( And sorry that I abandoned my game... real life is ***** )
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2010, 01:07:18 pm »

Well, I suppose I could fit you in, seeing as you were an influence in making this. No more players though! I won't be able to cope with any more!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »

Actualy, I dont think it'll break the game to mold tissue, because you'd still need to know aerodynamics to get flight, can't really get bone exact enough to make mechanism small enoguth to be complicated withoute being massive, etc. You still only have bone, sinew, etch to work with and cant make to small details, so youreally cant make that broken stuff. besides, this si MP, and if EVRYONE is overpowwered in the exact same way, then nobody is.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »

Oh I see what you mean now! Sure I intend players to be able to modify the shapes of their followers, add extra legs/eyes/arms/whatever sorta like spore, but you'd need the DNA to actually make big changes, like making them fly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9