Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jeweler Moods' Products  (Read 1201 times)

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jeweler Moods' Products
« on: July 01, 2010, 05:14:01 am »

I thought they can only make perfect gems, now i've just had one make a bloodstone barrel  :o

can they make furniture too?

RCIX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Jeweler Moods' Products
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 05:30:25 am »

Well, the only thing you can do in a jeweler's workshop really is encrust something with gems. So you got an artifact barrel i guess.
Quote from: Naz
Quote from: dwarfhoplite
I suggest you don't think too much what you build and where. When ever you need something, build it as close as possible to where you need it. that way your fortress will eventually become epic
Because god knows your duke will demand a kitten silo in his office.
Quote from: Necro910
Dwarf Fortress: Where you aren't hallucinating.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 05:54:18 am »

Yes, multiple item types are possible. Some are even useful (artifact gem furniture for example). However most of the time it's going to be a useless craft good that only increases fort value. It is possible to savescum for something you want if you're desperate enough.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 05:55:50 am »

Glassmakers will sometimes grab rough gems rather than glass, resulting in gem furniture. I thought gem cutters and gem setters were restricted to carving handheld items, like instruments or toys. Are you sure it was a jeweler, and do you know whether gem cutting or gem setting was his higher skill?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:23 am »

I've had gem cages in 40d. Unless it was a bug, it's possible, just extremely rare. IIRC, likely gem setting, as that's the only one I'd bother training for mood purposes, but it's been awhile.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:10:07 am »

I've had them make a bed out of bloodstone once.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 09:50:25 am »

my jewler made a resin opal floodgate :|
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

The Tyrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Si non confectus, non reficiat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 10:18:46 am »

I had one make a statue once, it saved my fort.

"So Urist. You've recently starved, gone without drink, forced to hunt for vermin, lost your two best friends to melencholy and got stabbed by a goblin. How do you feel?"

"Do you really need to ask? Have you seen this freaking statue?! It's awsome!"  ;D
Stove has created The Consequences of Biting, a legendary MSPaint engraving. It is studded with pixels, encrusted with pixels, and menaces with spikes of pixels and hanging rings of pixels. On the item is an image of SOME SERIOUS SHIT.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 11:35:45 am »

Confirmed, I got an emerald barrel in my current fort and a pipe opal table in a past fort.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 02:37:53 pm »

I had an turquoise bed made once. And an emerald coffin.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:11:36 pm »

I had an turquoise bed made once. And an emerald coffin.

How much do those gems weigh again?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:00:42 am »

I've got a clear glass artifact chain, which is decorated with a cloth image of a different artifact chain from the same fort. I still haven't figured out how they sewed a piece of cloth to a glass chain, or why they seem to have a fascination for chains.

Gem furniture seems to be from gem setter moods; I have a legendary gem cutter who made a 'perfect gem' and now has to be kept away from the Jewellers shop because he creates so many 'large X gems'.  They can't be used as decoration and I have plenty of junk to trade already, so large gems are a waste.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

RFHolloway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 10:47:21 am »

my jewler made a resin opal floodgate :|
definitely one for a nobles chamber!