Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1598183 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3495 on: February 08, 2011, 07:31:24 pm »

Ahhh the United kingdom! Well if you would use the Euro like the rest of Europe you could have spend cents :P On the other hand are you playing with nobles rather then atomsmashing them which is actualy pretty hardcore.

I like the schedule like it is right now. 1-2 weeks of bugfixing are actually nice and better then the even-numbered hotfix versions.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: February 08, 2011, 07:59:20 pm »

Haha, ahh the Euro, get back to me when it is worth more than my currency, then we'll talk  :P
I think that the nobles play with us in RL.

David Cameron, Conservative throws a fluffy wambler at the Nick Clegg, Liberal Democrat
The Liberal Democrat has been struck down!

But yeah, I'm happiest when things are being released frequently, I like updates! Be it bugs or features!

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: February 09, 2011, 01:50:52 am »

I think UI/usability/FPS improvements would make more people happy than bug fixing or new features.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: February 09, 2011, 02:20:06 am »

I had a post all typed up about philosophy and bug fixes and things, but decided to drop it because talking about bugs is boring. 
where is up?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: February 09, 2011, 02:41:20 am »

I had a post all typed up about philosophy and bug fixes and things, but decided to drop it because talking about bugs is boring.
Good idea - instead we can discuss whether or not it's boring to talk about bugs.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: February 09, 2011, 03:16:58 am »

My experience of programming is that it is 25% planning, only 5% typing/coding and 70% typo chasing/ bughunting aka testing.

With the big revisions to various mechanics and the addition of so many features, it is logical that some older features get scrapped because they rely on depricated code, there have been some sweeping changes recently which will take time to settle down into something resembling a game.

I'm actually surprised how well the current version is running, a pity that so many interesting features just dont work right now, but I'd rather (temporarily!) not get a dungeon master than have him crash my party/game.

I am under the impression Toady is currently more concerned about getting some of the basics working right rather than fixing various very specific features/bugs. Which is fine. :D

One idea is to update the wiki so that features are marked for being buggy in version X.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: February 09, 2011, 11:48:40 am »

Good idea - instead we can discuss whether or not it's boring to talk about bugs.

Uhhhh, I wake up... a little late... check the forums while coffee is brewing... and get the above discussion. It made me laugh quite loudly.  Thank-you for helping me start the day off with a laugh and a good mood.  :)

By the way, that was not sarcasm.  I actually laughed out loud and found the humor enjoyable.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 12:20:17 pm by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: February 09, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »

Bugs are quite interesting! We could have further exploration of ant-men society, the ramifications of beehives...oh. Those bugs. Yeah, that's boring.

Let's talk about insects instead. Much more interesting.

I want to see giant praying Mantis tied up in front of the fortress as guards.

Hmm...I should mod that in.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3503 on: February 09, 2011, 02:10:16 pm »

I discussed a while back about how the ant-men could be seen as being only semi-intelligent individually, but part of a larger collective intelegence. They wouldn't have a leader, and the queen could be merely an animalistic worker factory that eats whatever is put in front of it.

Which leads to terrible misunderstandings when a diplomat comes up and demands to speak with the Queen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: February 09, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »

Adrian Tchaikovsky
Have you read his recent fantasy novels of the Apt?
In this world all people/clans have insect totems and magical/inclination/physical abilities associated with that animal. It is a world in revolution as the ancient magically powerfull races are supplanted by practical 'apt' peoples as technology has advance to steam engines and powered flight.
It is an interesting concept and might make a fun mod.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »

Did the "No ETA" part of Toady's post concern anyone else a bit? I was hoping that the news of having losts of quick releases meant we were getting close to this one, it has been nearly 3 months now. Not that Toady ever gave us reason to expect consistent updates, I just like them!   8)

But his post made it look like we've got a medium-long wait for this release still. Not that I would complain much if that were the case, I'd be disappointed though!
Thoughts?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: February 09, 2011, 08:38:53 pm »

Did the "No ETA" part of Toady's post concern anyone else a bit? I was hoping that the news of having losts of quick releases meant we were getting close to this one, it has been nearly 3 months now. Not that Toady ever gave us reason to expect consistent updates, I just like them!   8)

But his post made it look like we've got a medium-long wait for this release still. Not that I would complain much if that were the case, I'd be disappointed though!
Thoughts?
"No ETA" doesn't mean "It's a long time coming" it just means he doesn't really know how long. It's just dependent on what comes up. If everything goes swimmingly, it's entirely possible that we could get it in a week. Or it might take longer.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: February 09, 2011, 09:58:35 pm »

Somehow, I don't think Toady would give an ETA if he fully expected to release it the very next day.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: February 09, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »

Last I checked Toady just doesn't give ETAs in general.  He occasionally gives them for really long waits, but this isn't anywhere the one and a half year wait he had last time he gave an ETA.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: February 10, 2011, 01:50:22 am »

It'll probably be out by the end of the month. Maybe by the end of next week if everything goes smoothly.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 342